Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Matt Williams
    gavmcg92 wrote: »
    This is hilarious...

post from www.greenandgoldrugby.com. An Australian point of view from the scrum.

What a joke of a comment!

In fairness, a lot of people have been very gracious in defeat on that forum

They were arrogant beforehand but a lot of them have came out and said we were by far the better team

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Matt Williams
    I can honestly be passed off with this game. It was a ****ing joke. The irb née too start sacking refs. Aus had the dominant scrum ( just) the breakdown was a shambles. The start of re second half Bryce reffed the breakdown differently and in Ireland's favor. There should of been 2 yellow cards against the Irish. The first high tackle was blatant.

How many penalties did Australia give away overall? I was surprised Lawrence didn't bin someone for persistent infringements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Australia
    McFadden for BOD against Russia, Leamy for Heaslip too, try Sexton at 12 and see how that goes.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

In fairness, there were a few dodgy calls againse both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

How many penalties did Australia give away overall? I was surprised Lawrence didn't bin someone for persistent infringements.
    according to espn stats 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Matt Williams
    think its fair to say God has a Cian Healy jersey on his back right now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Australia
    So does Richard Dunne!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Australia
    Samich wrote: »
    McFadden for BOD against Russia, Leamy for Heaslip too, try Sexton at 12 and see how that goes.

No way in hell do you play both out halves in the same game by choice!

If we lose them we're absolutely screwed.

One of the crucial moment of the match was SOB's tackle on Genia. Incredible that he stopped him.

Remember Murray making a great tackle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Matt Williams
    Delighted my poll pick was wrong. Healy and Ferris were emmense!

Can anyone tell me what the penalty was given for that ruled out Murrays try? Presuming something happened in the ruck but i didn't manage to see it.

• Advertisement

Matt Williams
    wixfjord wrote: »
    One of the crucial moment of the match was SOB's tackle on Genia. Incredible that he stopped him.

Hate to be negative but I think the crucial moment was Pocock pulling out before the game. You only appreciate a player like that when they're not available. Australia's backrow were all anonymous.

I'm convinced it would have been a different game had Pocock played.

Stephen Moore's absence too proved crucial, it had a profound effect on Australia's set piece. Polota-Nau had a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

wixfjord wrote: »

... and prevented the offload, it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Australia
    Why do people vote in the prediction poll after the game has been won? The whole point of it is to predict the winner. What satisfaction can you get by voting after the end? It actually makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyways I'm fooking delighted :D

Knew we had it in us the cause a major upset. Shame Murray's try was disallowed at the end.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

markc1184 wrote: »
    Delighted my poll pick was wrong. Healy and Ferris were emmense!

Can anyone tell me what the penalty was given for that ruled out Murrays try? Presuming something happened in the ruck but i didn't manage to see it.

Offside

Not getting ahead of myself here, but judging by what we did to the Aus scrum today, surely we've nothing to fear against SA, NZ or France in the scrum. We should at least break even if we come up against any of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Australia
    No way in hell do you play both out halves in the same game by choice!

If we lose them we're absolutely screwed.

Well no point trying it against australia and it working for 20 mins then not knowing if it'll work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some would say there's no room for sentiment in a profesional game - I thought it was brilliant to see Fla at the game and now I've read that he presented the players with their jerseys. There's a lot to be said for respect and it's great to see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Australia
    DylanJM wrote: »
    Why do people vote in the prediction poll after the game has been won?

Note to Mods - close poll before kick off.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Matt Williams
    DylanJM wrote: »
    Why do people vote in the prediction poll after the game has been won? The whole point of it is to predict the winner. What satisfaction can you get by voting after the end? It actually makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyways I'm fooking delighted :D

Knew we had it in us the cause a major upset. Shame Murray's try was disallowed at the end.

I didn't know people did that. Any way we can collate all the late poll predictions and post them so we can all mock them? That's just sad :D

As an Australian watching this here (Ireland has been my home for 11 years), by far the better team won on the day and I am delighted for Ireland. It would be great if this momentum builds and builds.

I am disappointed at the Aussie performance but quite pleased how the press is covering it at home and texts from home are saying similar - Ireland deserved it, wanted it more and got it!

Enjoy your celebrations and bring on the next round of matches.

The upsets are what make it. Wales came so close against SA... I'm keeping a close eye on Wales, personally ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Hate to be negative but I think the crucial moment was Pocock pulling out before the game. You only appreciate a player like that when they're not available. Australia's backrow were all anonymous.

Stephen Moore's absence too proved crucial, it had a profound effect on Australia's set piece. Polota-Nau had a shocker.

It's very true. We would not have had that performance if they had been on the pitch, particularly Pocock. He simply would have not been moved at the breakdown and would have been a nightmare. Our pack bossed theirs all ends up.

But I'm glad to have been wrong on the result. I've egg on my face. Delicious, tasty egg.

• Advertisement

Matt Williams
    Hermy wrote: »
    Note to Mods - close poll before kick off.:)

I forgot to put a close time/date on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

12:8 to australia from espnscrum.com and smh.com.au

Stephen Moore's absence had a profound effect on Australia's set piece. Polota-Nau had a shocker.

Yeah felt with Pocock missing the Aussie backs aren't given that extra fraction of time that he generates from making quick ball, on a couple of occasions they got fast ball and made serious yards around our fringes. Had he started or even came off the bench he could have made that extra impetus which probably would have won them the game.

Australia
    Stephen Moore was a huge loss for them IMO. When I heard he was gone I was thrilled.

Not only is he solid in the set pieces, he's fantastic at the breakdown. Forget Pocock, add Moore to that team and suddenly we aren't dominating their scrum and suddenly they have more possession.

Just as big a loss as Pocock imo. Our set-piece dominance was key. Pocock would have affected that only indirectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Team for Russia

1. Court
    2. Cronin
    3. Buckley
    4. Ryan
    5. Cullen
    6. Leamy
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip/O'Brien
    9. Murray/Boss
    10. ROG
    11. Trimble
    12. Wallace
    13. Mcfadden
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney(if fit)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Who got MOTM ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

fair play to the lads,eventhough i've lost ranking on sportsguru :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    This is hilarious...

post from www.greenandgoldrugby.com. An Australian point of view from the scrum.

What a joke of a comment!

It's not really. Kearney didn't argue at all on that tackle; he was a very lucky boy to stay on and we'd have been going bananas if it had been against one of our lads. He caught Beale straight across the neck. The scrum was a bit messy. We got the rub of the green on the calls today although we were very solid. There was at least one occasion when Healy broke his bind and got away with it. For the final penalty, it looked like Slipper lost his footing. I'll gladly take it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Matt Williams
    Who got MOTM ?

Pococke (for Australia, at any rate) :p

Australia
    Who got MOTM ?

Healy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Matt Williams
    One of the real key differences shown by the Irish today with the lack of stupid knockons and unforced errors. If we are being honest, we won not because of incisive offence, but as a result of resilient defence. Gaffney changed nothing.

DOC and D'arcy really answered their critics, and, if fit, should be starting against Italy. Earls was anonymous bar stepping into touch from the kickoff and really must have run out of time to justify his selection ahead of Trimble.

Boss also needs to be ahead of Murray, they just looks like he's not ready.

Advertisement