Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

any idea if this will affect our IRB rankings much?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Matt Williams
    shuffol wrote: »
    Team for Russia

1. Court
    2. Cronin
    3. Buckley
    4. Ryan
    5. Cullen
    6. Leamy
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip/O'Brien
    9. Murray/Boss
    10. ROG
    11. Trimble
    12. Wallace
    13. Mcfadden
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney(if fit)

It's a conondrum now for Kidney. Does he play the same team to keep the momentum going or give them a rest after a momentual effort against Australia. Personally I'd start of the bulk of today's lineup against Russia, I think continuity will prove crucial. I wouldn't
    mind Boss getting a run, this World Cup may (I stress may) have come too early for Murray.

Anyone hear anything about D'Arcy's injury?
    Who got MOTM ?

Cian Healy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Australia
    Judging by the comments on the Aussie forums, They dont seem to like Bryce, Ive always thought him a nice guy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Game was not shown live in Australia.Mate was listening to live radio and they were saying this is not happening,[over 10 times].They asked where were Ireland hiding this guy Sean O Brien,They are murdering us up front,they are very physical.They blamed the weather,recent injuries,local support for Ireland,ref,too young,Irish tactics.No praise for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Matt Williams
    I was thinking about George Smith. I'd say Deans would have loved him to come in for Pocock, would have been a like for like replacement. Maybe the ARU should have tried to keep him for a year, until the World Cup.

I don't remember McCalman's name being mentioned once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Australia
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    any idea if this will affect our IRB rankings much?

Think we will go 6th now and the aussies go 4th, not sure though someone posted it earlier, was reading this and it said if we won today by 15 points or more we would have been ranked 3rd in the world. Read the link its interesting.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/teams/team=36/news/newsid=2051542.html

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Mr.SlumDuck

Great performance.

Few things that worry me though is our lack of depth in the forwards. Leamy/Ryan really only there as cover for any injuries. Cullen would make a impact as a replacement. Other than that though no impact subs. Ross/Healy need to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Cant understand some of the criticism on here for Bowe etc. It was a day where the sum of the parts outweighed the individual. Bowe did everything he was asked and more, as did all of the Irish players.

Worried about Heaslip level of performance still. The lack of a 12 is a major concern now too. As is BOD's level of fitness. He fell off a few tackles again today and in the end resorted to not even lifting his arms in the tackle and trying to also head spear opponents. He was immense though as usual but with matches coming thick and fast I hope his recovery time is high.

A truly great day for Ireland and one that should be celebrated. There are going to be tough challenges ahead but today is not the day for concern or criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Anyone know a good site for highlights?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

sting60 wrote: »
    Game was not shown live in Australia.Mate was listening to live radio and they were saying this is not happening,[over 10 times]b.They asked where were Ireland hiding this guy Sean O Brien,They are murdering us up front,they are very physical.They blamed the weather,recent injuries,local support for Ireland,ref,too young,Irish tactics.No praise for Ireland.

Maybe if the had even the slightest interest in rugby outside the sh, the might have heard of the hec player of the year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Australia
    tolosenc wrote: »
    One of the real key differences shown by the Irish today with the lack of stupid knockons and unforced errors. If we are being honest, we won not because of incisive offence, but as a result of resilient defence. Gaffney changed nothing.

DOC and D'arcy really answered their critics, and, if fit, should be starting against Italy. Earls was anonymous bar stepping into touch from the kickoff and really must have run out of time to justify his selection ahead of Trimble.

Boss also needs to be ahead of Murray, they just looks like he's not ready.

]
    I agree, and I was heartbroken that Murray nor Bowe got them tries, notice how similar bowes (almost try) looked to the one BOD scored against aust a few years back, the irony!

Fack it Ireland for final bloody stunning performance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Matt Williams
    Game was not shown live in Australia.Mate was listening to live radio and they were saying this is not happening,[over 10 times].They asked where were Ireland hiding this guy Sean O Brien,They are murdering us up front,they are very physical.They blamed the weather,recent injuries,local support for Ireland,ref,too young,Irish tactics.No praise for Ireland.

There will always be begrudgers in any country. Hell, some were giving out about your own players on here.

If you look online at the papers in Australia, you will see a different story. Plenty of praise for the Irish team and a lot of disappointment in the Wallabies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

One of the real key differences shown by the Irish today with the lack of stupid knockons and unforced errors. If we are being honest, we won not because of incisive offence, but as a result of resilient defence. Gaffney changed nothing.

DOC and D'arcy really answered their critics, and, if fit, should be starting against Italy. Earls was anonymous bar stepping into touch from the kickoff and really must have run out of time to justify his selection ahead of Trimble.

Boss also needs to be ahead of Murray, they just looks like he's not ready.

Think Murray was decent aside from one bad missed tackle that was almost very costly. His physicality in defence was good although Boss does offer that also.

D'Arcy was possibly the pick of the backs before he went off. Two great takes from short restarts, one delightful kick for touch and was solid in his all round game. The Sexton/ROG experiment continues to intrigue me however. They can put width on the ball so quickly.

Earls looks to be fairly void of confidence at this stage. The mistake on the opening kick off seemed to take the wind from his sails and as a result he was very quiet. I'd rather see Trimble in who can dominate opposition physically and is better at finding work when it's not coming his way.

The Australian team will have nightmares about the DOC/Best axis of evil and their choke tackles. They are simply superb at them. We still need DOC to be of more use outside of the holding up and rucking though. And sweet Jesus if I see a lock kick a ball away on the 22 instead of falling on it I'll go to NZ myself and (from a safe distance) give him dogs abuse. :p

Heaslip was solid in defence but like DOC he needs to round out his game at the moment although he has now become an important line out forward for us again. His penalty was braindead and deserved to be punished.

Stuff to work on which is good. Nice to know we managed to beat the Wallabies whilst still not turning in our absolute best.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

Any chance that the South Africans could put out a weak team in their final pool match with the hope of losing and going into the 'European' half of the draw?

Australia
    Hank_Jones wrote: »

Highlights here mate.
    http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/video/index.html?v=2052121

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Hank_Jones wrote: »

here

well renowned for highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

[QUOTE=stephen_k;... Unbelievable performance by the Irish Scum....
    [/QUOTE]

Not the time for racist comments:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Australia
    wixfjord wrote: »
    Not getting ahead of myself here, but judging by what we did to the Aus scrum today, surely we've nothing to fear against SA, NZ or France in the scrum. We should at least break even if we come up against any of these.

You are getting waaaaay ahead of yourself there mate; that Australia front row are light years behind any of the other three named. They'll probably have hookers who can throw the ball as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Matt Williams
    wixfjord wrote: »
    Not getting ahead of myself here, but judging by what we did to the Aus scrum today, surely we've nothing to fear against SA, NZ or France in the scrum. We should at least break even if we come up against any of these.

Thats exactly what you are doing.
    SA NZ and Fr won't be missing key players from their scrum (I hope I'm wrong of course) but we have two matches to play yet before we get out of the group and we have to mind our own key players in the Russian game.
    Italy will be a tough encounter up front. We will be lucky to keep our front 8 uninjured after that game.
    Don't get me wrong about today's performance though, it makes me very proud to be Irish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

thebaz wrote: »
    I have called most of irelands recent results about right - going for a surprise irish victory , with a performance similar to against England in march - pride and passion - go on Ireland - for BOD and POC - Heaslip , please big game !

apart from heaslip performance - called it about right - should be betting on my run - such respect for Ireland - delighted in particular for BOD and POC

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Australia
    ;)
    GerM wrote: »
    D'Arcy was possibly the pick of the backs before he went off. Two great takes from short restarts, one delightful kick for touch and was solid in his all round game.

What a Game and a monstrous performance by Ireland, so proud, really thought also Darcy was fantastic till he went off, in fact i think a lot of people dont recognize the work he puts in, defensively he is excellent and whenever he goes into contact he makes good yards and presents good ball, we just dont have anyone else of his quality in that position, and its looking like he's finally up to speed after being injured, top player and he will be sorely missed if he's injured again..

all in all feckin over the moon with the win!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Matt Williams
    They asked where were Ireland hiding this guy Sean O Brien

As in the European Player of the Year? Clearly hadn't done their homework as he's been hiding in plain sight for quite some time now.
    GerM wrote: »
    D'Arcy was possibly the pick of the backs before he went off. Two great takes from short restarts, one delightful kick for touch and was solid in his all round game. The Sexton/ROG experiment continues to intrigue me however. They can put width on the ball so quickly.

To be honest, Sexton was brilliant other than from the tee. So, all we need is a bit of tomato juice...

thought Sean O'Brien arrived on the World stage - heoic performance , along with healy, best, POC, ferris, ross -

worried about heaslip and DOC form , hopefully they find form soon - and BOD certainly doesnt look right - cotton wool and prayers

Australia
    As in the European Player of the Year? Clearly hadn't done their homework as he's been hiding in plain sight for quite some time now.

After reading a few of the previews from Australian sites for laughs they really didnt know much of our team

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

we're not the perfect team by any stretch but it's great to be on the front foot again. watched about a second of hook and co before switching to setanta. they're such a breath of fresh air over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would be concerned about D'Arcy's injury. He looked very upset on the bench. Looked like the world had just come crashing down on him. BOD is still not fit. He needs another week off at least. He was going into tackles at the end barely able to get his arms around the carrier. We should unleash a bit of the squad against Russia. Cullen, ROG, Wallace, Trimble, Leamy, Ryan, Court and Boss all to start. No other time for them to play really and I don't want a case of 4 or 5 lads going down there and just holding bags for a month. Let them show what they can do and keep the first XV looking over their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Australia
    If anyone thinks that the Aussies didn't know our team back to front they're mad.

Especially if they think Elsom didn't have them up to speed on our back row.

They weren't taken by surprise.

Australia
    Good thing for BOD and the other main players is that he has 15 days to recover till the Italy game.

Good thing for BOD and the other main players is that he has 15 days to recover till the Italy game.

I'd even rest him for Italy , and unleash him against the Welsh - heaslip and DOC need a rest to recover form too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

If anyone thinks that the Aussies didn't know our team back to front they're mad.

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Elsom would have left them in no doubt in the build up as to what was coming. They just couldnt deal with it. Pocock was a huge loss though. Australia's breakdown play would have been a lot better with him in there. That being said, Ireland wanted it more and whose to say wouldnt have put Pocock in his place as they did with Genia etc.

These Irish players seem to play better when they feel like the world rates them. That is a reason why they thrive with their provinces. It never ever really felt that way in the Green shirt but, after today, they will feel that they are in NZ not to just make up the numbers and, crucially, the world now knows it too

• Advertisement

Australia

I was refering to the general public not Aussie management and team if Your going by my post

Advertisement