Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

GerM wrote: »
    For the final penalty, it looked like Slipper lost his footing. I'll gladly take it though.

Never before was the irony so beautiful.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭rossieboy

Does Anyone know if theres a website to download the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

$hifty wrote: »
    Sebastian Chabal on twitter:
    Quel match des avant irlandais. Beau combat. Belle victoire de nos amis

"What a game from the Irish. Great fight. Beautiful victory for our friends".

Fairly nice of him really. Especially as he always gets a hard time over here

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Sebastian Chabal on twitter:

"What a game from the Irish. Great fight. Beautiful victory for our friends".

Fair play to him, he's a classy guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

First things first, fantastic performance. If we can find a way to do that every week, well be a match for anyone. Ill put forward my 2 cents about the players performances but, ill leave out the ratings as it just causes drama and accusations of bias.

Healy: Fantastic match. He couldn't have done much more.
    Best: Great performance. I've been critical of him in the past but, he has upped his game for the WC.
    Ross: We got the upper-hand in the scrum, so he dis his job. He was much more visible in open play too. Well done.
    DOC: Will he have finally answered his critics? Great performance. He was a monster in defense.
    POC: He is getting back to his best. Huge performance.
    Ferris: His driving back of Genia told it all. He could be (one of) the best 6s in the world if it wasn't for his knee. It was worrying to see him hold it a few times.
    SOB: He proved that he could play 7 (albeit Pocock was out). He should slot into the David Wallace role nicely. Although I feel that Wallace still has a few years in the tank.
    Heaslip: He was good in defense (turnover at the end was great). But, it doesn't look like he wants to enforce himself on the game and be a star of the WC. He carried the ball 6-times but, he looked wary of going into contact all but twice. Where is the guy who showed such aggression/passion that he tried to crack McCaw's skull? Are his previous experiences in NZ (the media after the red card) still playing on his mind?
    Reddan: Solid game. Nothing spectacular but, he did what was asked of him.
    Sexton: Kicking out of hand and off tee was poor. I think he'd do better as a 5/8 outside ROG at test level. He has only produced the goods for Ireland once (against England) and looks like he would do better with the extra decision-making time at 12.
    Earls: Both wingers found it hard to impose themselves on the game but, he looked lively when on the ball. The lineout against him at the start was a little harsh. The decision could have gone either way.
    D'Arcy: I thought he was passed it but, he pulled out a performance when it was needed. Hopefully his injury won't rule him out.
    BOD: He gave his all but, his body is broken and it's causing him to fall off tackles. He really needs a rest. I can't see him featuring much more Leinster before Xmas; he shouldn't anyway.
    Bowe: I hate him for not getting the try at the end but, he had a good game. Like Earls, he didn't get much of a chance to impose himself. It was a day for forwards, not wingers.
    Kearney: He was pretty solid. We can't expect wonders due to the little amount of gametime. The Aussies kicked a lot more than expected but, it was notable that they tried to avoid testing/targeting him under a highball.

Court: The Scrum fell apart when he came home. Did he subconsciously want his homeland to win? :pac:
    Murray: He was a little slow at the rucks but, his passing was crisp and he offered a running threat. I'm sickened that his try didn't count.
    ROG: He has a few bad kicks from hand but, at least one great one too. It would have demoralized the team and helped Australia if Sexton continued to miss kicks. Sexton looked to be retaining kicking duties until he missed his first with ROG on the field. I wonder who made the decision to have ROG kick? It must have embedded a doubt in Sexton re. his own kicking.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dr.Evil wrote: »

Pity they cut that short, Healy puts in massive hit then is up and running milliseconds later jumping for the kick through. Great work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Matt Williams
    Best Irish performance since I don't know when! I genuinely can't remember when I last enjoyed watching a game so much - every man jack of them deserves a medal for today's effort. Some players such as BOD and Darcy are clearly not 100% fit but still gave it everything. It was sweet to see the superb Aussie backline strangled and if only Tommy Bowe had got in at the end. I don't care how far Ireland now progress as for this result alone it was worth going to the RWC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Heaslip: Why is his scrumcap blue? You're representing Ireland not Leinster. We have players who wear one week in and out but, they go away and wear a different coloured cap to represent Ireland in the WC. Heaslip doesn't even wear one but, when he does, he goes away and gets a blue one. :mad: [/

This might well be the most petty, small minded comment in a long time. Get over yourself. The colour of his cap is ****ing irrelevant, same as it is irrelevant for Best's or Leamy's caps or Earls' ****ing red shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Why is his scrumcap blue? You're representing Ireland not Leinster. We have players who wear one week in and out but, they go away and wear a different coloured cap to represent Ireland in the WC. Heaslip doesn't even wear one but, when he does, he goes away and gets a blue one. :mad:

Just venturing a complete guess about it, but its the cap he used to wear years ago for leinster and wore it when he was left home in 2007, could be his little way of saying i was good enough back then to make it or something along those lines, or it just could be his lucky cap that he found again when clearing out for the trip to NZ:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Australia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKM4z-WAu9I

Wonder if Bowe could have put the ball in his right arm and tried to palm off JOC with his left... Awh well doesnt matter anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Wonder what colour jocks he was wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Australia
    bossa_nova wrote: »
    Just venturing a complete guess about it, but its the cap he used to wear years ago for leinster and wore it when he was left home in 2007, could be his little way of saying i was good enough back then to make it or something along those lines, or it just could be his lucky cap that he found again when clearing out for the trip to NZ:o
    Players can be superstitious. Even with myself, I won't go to Edinburgh as I've been five times and each time a loss.
    Ireland won slam because I stayed put (to quote one of the coaches the next day :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Why is his scrumcap blue? You're representing Ireland not Leinster. We have players who wear one week in and out but, they go away and wear a different coloured cap to represent Ireland in the WC. Heaslip doesn't even wear one but, when he does, he goes away and gets a blue one. :mad:

Pretty sure everyone wearing scrum caps wore blue no?
    Earls: Both wingers found it hard to impose themselves on the game but, he looked lively when on the ball. The lineout against him at the start was a little harsh. The decision could have gone either way.

Thought he was fairly anonymous for most of the game tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Superbus wrote: »
    Fionn Carr.

I thought of Carr, but is he that fast in a straight line?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

I thought of Carr, but is he that fast in a straight line?

Yes, think so

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

gav86 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKM4z-WAu9I

Wonder if Bowe could have put the ball in his right arm and tried to palm off JOC with his left... Awh well doesnt matter anyway..

Easy to say now but Trimble and Earls were unmarked steaming up the other wing, a decent kick would have seen them score I'd say. Anyway, who fecking cares!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Sweet jesus Cpt, you've outdone yourself this time! :pac:

SOB, Ross and Ferris are obviously supporting the All Blacks then are they?!

Hilarious!

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    This might well be the most petty, small minded comment in a long time. Get over yourself. The colour of his cap is ****ing irrelevant, same as it is irrelevant for Best's or Leamy's caps or Earls' ****ing red shoes.

I know its complete irrelevant BS which is why its put in as a spoiler but, its just annoying me. I wouldn't care if SOB wore his blue one, Best his red one etc.

I never remember him wearing one before but, both BN's and JD's explainations are perfectly reasonable. I know that he was told to wear the cap against the US and it could even be SOB's spare/old one.

Earls should bring back the green boots he wore in the 6N as they seemed to be working for him. Ditto Heaslip and his yellow boots, half the Samoan pack are wearing them now. :D

Ill remove the spoiler tag though as its probably drawing more attention rather than less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

padraig.od wrote: »
    Easy to say now but Trimble and Earls were unmarked steaming up the other wing, a decent kick would have seen them score I'd say. Anyway, who fecking cares!

They werent really. If you look at the clip, both had slowed and were starting to jog by the time the camera cuts to the closeup of Bowe.

wixfjord wrote: »
    Sweet jesus Cpt, you've outdone yourself this time! :pac:

SOB, Ross and Ferris are obviously supporting the All Blacks then are they?!

Hilarious!

I do try. :D This place gets very boring if ppl can't bìtch about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wonder what colour jocks he was wearing.

Well we know DOC wears red but maybe that's only when playing for Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

I know its complete irrelevant BS which is why its put in as a spoiler but, its just annoying me.-the colour of the guys cap annoys you, seriously?

I wouldn't care if SOB wore his blue one, Best his red one etc.- if you dont care if they wear their "colours" on their heads why do you care what Heaslip wears?

I never remember him wearing one before but, both BN's and JD's explainations are perfectly reasonable. I know that he was told to wear the cap against the US and it could even be SOB's spare/old one. -like you say here, and what one of the commentators said before the USA game, he was apparently advised to wear.

Just a couple of questions about your post!

phog wrote: »
    Well we know DOC wears red but maybe that's only when playing for Munster

I've heard from an inside source that he has a dresser drawer set aside for colour-coded man thongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

I've heard from an inside source that he has a dresser drawer set aside for colour-coded man thongs.

You been peeking in windows again!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just reading over a few Aussie forums, makes the victory even sweeter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Australia
    did you know that if bowe had have got that last minute try and o'gara had converted it ireland would have moved to 3rd in the world rankings ahead of austrialia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

the most important thing about this win is if we win our next two games we avoid both SA and the AB's until the final.

While there is still a long way to go, if there was ever a final within our reach this is it.

on another note, have to wait till its up on rte player to watch the game and its driving me insane... stupid work:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Australia
    Just reading over a few Aussie forums, makes the victory even sweeter :D

Nothing better than watching arrogant Aussies choking on humble pie :D

Seen a few predict and Irish win too though, but the majority of them put it all down to the bad reffing of the scrum.

Advertisement