Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

damianmcr wrote: »
    ITV player

excellent thanks!

RTE player still doesn't have it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

DylanJM wrote: »
    @ 1.23 in this video there's a better view of Murray's disallowed try.
    Lovely step by Murray, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

That is fricking hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I would only love to have an outrageous ranting reply to that, full of racism and explicit words... but I'm too busy enjoying watching our epic performance again on ITV player....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

damianmcr wrote: »
    ITV player

Won't work outside of the UK?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

watching the last five mins again on itv player - fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

whycliff wrote: »
    Won't work outside of the UK?!
    Not sure chap, Im up North so im sorted. Likely someone here could help you with a proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Matt Williams
    Bearcat wrote: »

Australia's Goose81! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Australia
    Lovely step by Murray, by the way.

Yep thought that myself. The defender never had a chance. Would've been a lovely maiden try.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Yep thought that myself. The defender never had a chance. Would've been a lovely maiden try.

Have to agree about the step - just watched it about five times there, left the Australian defender for dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Australia
    Phew ok , my heart rate has just now returned to normal. Watched the match twice and gotta say that was a fantastic performance by the team. Every single player had a script and bought into it. Never before has an Irish team came together and fought for each other like they did today. My eyes watered when I heard ROG speak after the game and see just what it meant to the guy coz its what it meant to me aswell.

Hopefully Darcy is ok and will play against Italy. Id like to see the fringe players come in against Russia and give some of the guys a much needed rest. It is truly in our own hands now, it could turn into a mini 6 nations comp after Russia as we could potentially have Italy followed by Wales followed by England if we can keep up the form.

This win will only encourage the lads who are playing their last world cup and like POC said , that was not our final. Immortality awaits for these guys.

Is Feidir Linn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Australia
    JustinDee wrote: »
    I think people will be pleasantly surprised at what the team bring onto the field over the next few weeks.
    The way they mixed up first and second phase tactics today was beautiful. Hardly ever ran the predictable route. Some poor kicks from hand but thats something to work upon.

Thats me done with the net for the weekend. Have a good'un all.
    Try and relax though, eh? As I said before, game-by-game is how each RWC test is prepared. Didn't work out brilliantly last week but the win was in the bag. Now the momentum builds. Here's to an injury-free group stage.

Come Monday, the game will be forgotten and the squad will be training hard for the Russia group match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

If the pre-match arrogance wasn't enough here's what the Sydney Morning Herald has to say;

AUCKLAND: It doesn't get any more embarrassing than this for Australian rugby. The Wallabies were yet again shown to be second-rate by one of the also-rans of world rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Australia
    Leslie91 wrote: »
    If the pre-match arrogance wasn't enough here's what the Sydney Morning Herald has to say;

AUCKLAND: It doesn't get any more embarrassing than this for Australian rugby. The Wallabies were yet again shown to be second-rate by one of the also-rans of world rugby.

Thats just Greg Growden. He's always like that. For regular Aussie rugby pundits, see Michael Lynagh. He calls it like it is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone got a photo of Ferris dwarf-tossing Genia? I need a new desktop wallpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Australia
    Conor Murray will be some player in a year or so. Guy has everything you want in a SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

the pack were epic today apart from DOC hoofing the ball in the first minute, i just dont understand why we're not competing at lineouts. Any of the Clontarf lads in the pack could have been man of the match (said as an unbiased clontarf fan!)

ROG brought much needed composure and leadership onto the pitch at the right time. Kearney grew into the game and showed his class. Best was excellent.

Murray was off the pace when he came on, he butchered that opportunity we had when kearney pounced on lose ball on the oz line, we were crying out for the ball to be whipped to the open side where we had a huge overlap and murray popped to blind to Ross and then to POC, dreadful game management.

Ferris's dwarf tossing genia was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Matt Williams
    Has anyone got a photo of Ferris dwarf-tossing Genia? I need a new desktop wallpaper.

If theres ever some sort of competition to win a signed version of that, I would do ANYTHING to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Stev_o wrote: »
    Conor Murray will be some player in a year or so. Guy has everything you want in a SH.
    aye. he's not there yet but he could become a serious player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

as Iarnrod Eireann would say not there yet but getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

tolosenc wrote: »
    As in the European Player of the Year? Clearly hadn't done their homework as he's been hiding in plain sight for quite some time now..

Too right, he'd only make a hole in anything he tried to hide behind :pac:

Probably not quite wallpaper resolution, but maybe a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4wardpass

Gosh I have to eat humble pie and tbh it tastes GREAT! I posted pre-match (and pre-Pockock dropping) that I couldn't see how Ireland could suddenly "switch it on".

How wrong I was. Sometimes it's GREAT to be wrong!
    I read a few Aussie forums and I have to say I'm dissappointed, there doesn't seem to be much grace in defeat. Of course they are a better team but on the day, we played better. Like Italy v France in the 6N. We played better than them today, simple as.
    Another thing that annoys me is that a lot of them are blaming the ref for them losing....did anyone else see him basically tackle Reddan in the first half? He is an awful kiwi ref but that affected both of our teams. I love Aussie rugby, but just suck it up!

I also have to say it was one of the proudest I have ever felt. I also think in the end, the scoreline flattered them. Crucially they failed to nab a losing bonus point.

Topping our group (watch out for Italy) has become more important when one considers the Boks performance against Fiji. I haven't ever seen such an impressive and open game by them, and they were down players. I could even fancy them taking a demoralised Australia.

I can't even begin to praise the team enough, this was a collective victory.

I was justified to doubt us going into this game but now I know for certain that we have been selling ourselves short. We can't let something like the Autumn series ever happen again (we fell from top NH team to fubbing 8th) and must treat every international as a TEST not a FRIENDLY. The path to a final looks very plausible and it is nothing that this team doesn't deserve. We have a great tournament left ahead of us guys, I'm so proud to be Irish today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Offside according to RTE

All the post match interviews are up online here http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/highlights.html

Looked to me that Heaslip I think it was rolled away from the tackle at the same time the wall came flying out. Looked like he played it with his hands and its why it got to Murray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

At the end of the ITV higlights they showed the Irish dressing room and the players all hugging Kidndey and going nuts - Anyone else see it and can it been seen online anywhere? Would like to see more of lads enjoying the win

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

why is it considered a shock that we beat oz today?its not as if we didnt beat them before,all the media outlets claiming its a major shock,is it because of loosing the warm up games?its 15 against 15 so anything is possible but the way the media is potraying it is a bit offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Australia

Maybe, but he should not have been brought on today. Reddan was playing well, the team was on top so why change it up?
    Murray was slow to the breakdown and missed what should have been a straightforward tackle. He did not play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Australia
    RuggieBear wrote: »
    aye. he's not there yet but he could become a serious player for us.
    bamboozle wrote: »
    as Iarnrod Eireann would say not there yet but getting there.

I think the gamble will pay off down the road. He has the attributes and the brain for this position. His service is crisp and he can attack the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

droicead wrote: »
    why is it considered a shock that we beat oz today?its not as if we didnt beat them before,all the media outlets claiming its a major shock,is it because of loosing the warm up games?its 15 against 15 so anything is possible but the way the media is potraying it is a bit offensive

Some one can correct me here but in all our world cup appearances going back to the 1st one in 87 we haven't beaten SA, Aus, NZ, Eng or France. Thats why its a bit of a breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Australia
    I think the gamble will pay off down the road. He has the attributes and the brain for this position. His service is crisp and he can attack the fringes.

Physically and technically he's spot on.

Just needs to get the head right a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

they are trination champions and we hadn't beaten one of the big three sh teams in the sh since 1979.

IIRC, in the rwc, ireland have never beaten any team ranked above them.

In the rwc we have only beaten wales and argentina who would be considered top tier teams.

Advertisement