Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

harney wrote: »
    Is the ROG interview online, the UK tv cut off before showing it this morning.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/highlights.html?3054810,3054810,flash,255

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

So happy to have called this wrong during the week. Amazing performance from all of the players, front row and back rows phenomenal I thought. Am I being stupid or is the match not yet on RTE website/rte player. Want to watch it all over again, this time without the threat of high blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Not much to add , all I will say is that i actually cried when we won.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So happy to have called this wrong during the week. Amazing performance from all of the players, front row and back rows phenomenal I thought. Am I being stupid or is the match not yet on RTE website/rte player. Want to watch it all over again, this time without the threat of high blood pressure.
    I think they have to wait till Setanta do a full repeat tonight to put it up due to the rights sharing agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

efb wrote: »
    Kylie, Morag Stewart, Esme Watson, Muriel heaslop, Priscilla can u hear me????

Your boys took one hell of a beating!!!!

Rolf Harris, Skippy The Bush Kangaroo, Crocodile Dundee, Sir Les Patterson, Nicole Kidman, Harold Bishop can you hear me? :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

df1985 wrote: »

Love that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Australia
    highlights on Setanta now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Australia
    df1985 wrote: »
    An important message:

Brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

tolosenc wrote: »
    Very risky in that pool. They couldn't loose to Namibia if they tried, and if they throw the game against Samoa and Wales beat Samoa in a few hours, they'd risk going out of the tournament.

Actually when they play Samoa they will know exactly the repercussions. Anyway, the most shameful thing you can do in sport is lose on purpose, it completely ruins it. Any rumours of them throwing the game will get them more fired up. But I wouldn't put it past their coach.

Great defensive performance today, Ross and Healy were by far the best 2 on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Matt Williams
    Texted my Oz bf, claims he didn't see the came- he would had they won...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

efb wrote: »
    Texted my Oz bf, claims he didn't see the came- he would had they won...
    Can anyone tell me where I can see the highlights of this game? I am in the States and can't find a link. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Australia
    THE POOR AUSSIES

Ferris and Ireland are back

StephenFerris_WillGenia_AustraliavIrelandRWC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Matt Williams
    teednab-el wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I can see the highlights of this game? I am in the States and can't find a link. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/THUGBYFAN#p/a/u/2/bEZcOX04CAA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Said before the game that Healy was key for us. This guy is seriously underrated on the world stage. Amazing strength and stamina. Gets around the pitch putting in tackles, making carries. Usually he has at least one dump tackle per game.
    I think we still have some improvement left in us.
    I thought Murray did well when he came on, remember Reddan looked like he was blowing a gasket when he was replaced. Id have to watch again but I thought we were starting to have a few balls unused sitting at the back of rucks waiting on Reddan to appear. Murray was ever present wherever the ball ended up and he moved the ball on quickly. Also his defence was very aggressive n he made the odd break to keep the opposition on their toes.
    OGara at 10, Sexton at 12 I thought it worked well. Sexton looked comfortable with more time on his hands. OGara is able to ping the corners better when needs be. Maybe chance OGara is more comfortable with the new ball for penalties (tournament kicking stats suggest the conversion ratio is lower than normal) so now we get OGaras penalties and Sextons passing at 12.
    Kearney will be better for having a proper game under his belt and showed glimpses of potential.
    Lets be honest our game is primarily based on having a world class pack and aggressive organized defence. It may bring us a long way in this tournament yet. If OGara proves comfortable with the boot then we may be approacing games with a 3 point headstart. Finally we used the dropgoal, I was waiting on one.
    Gives bodies a rest against Russia and be clinical and organized against Italy. A win over Italy would build confidence for some players short of match practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Great performance, best result ever at the WC. Thought to the man we were head and shoulders above the Aussies.

Only sour note was ROG's interview after the game, when he more or less said he was retiring after the WC. Surely he could have sat on this rather than sulking cause he didn't start.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JRant wrote: »

Only sour note was ROG's interview after the game, when he more or less said he was retiring after the WC. Surely he could have sat on this rather than sulking cause he didn't start.

He wasn't sulking. He was just overcome by the occasion. It dawned on him that this was one of the greatest moments of his rugby career, and he was savouring it because there won't be many more of them. The worst you could say was he was perhaps a little self indulgent announcing it like that, but, that would be a harsh interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

duckysauce wrote: »
    THE POOR AUSSIES

Ferris and Ireland are back

StephenFerris_WillGenia_AustraliavIrelandRWC.jpg

I can see that picture overtaking this in terms of epicness :pac::pac:action_poc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Just watching the replay on Setanta now. Ross has been binding on the LH's armpit/arm in every scrum and we were lucky that nobody picked it up during the game. Ross would have probably adapted if it was picked up and it was smart play but, I would be bitter if I was an Aussie.

Murray has also been much quicker passing than I originally game him credit for. He looked threatening with ball in hand too. Reddan seems to be a poor passer of his left hand; I noticed him doing a little spin so he could keep it off his right a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Australia
    Powerade Hero of the Day: Sean O’Brien

pb-shortlogo.jpg
    3faf7_herooftheday.jpg
    On a day when there were so many Irish heroes we could have chosen any man in green, but for us, Sean O’Brien stood out above the rest.
    By Conor Heneghan.
    After what transpired in Auckland this morning, picking one man that stood above the crowd provided something of a headache, but it is a headache we were sure glad to have and certainly one that we will freely admit we didn’t envisage having prior to kick-off this morning. But such is the beauty of sport.
    Cian Healy may have deservedly won the official man of the match gong, but there must have been a far from orderly queue of contenders for the award such was the quality, to a man, of the Irish performance.
    Mike Ross and Rory Best were as prevalent as Healy in a dominant Irish scrum. Paul O’Connell continued his rich vein of form, while you would never have known Stephen Ferris spent the best part of the last year in monotonous rehab on a knee injury. Behind the scrum, Brian O’Driscoll was heroic and Tommy Bowe nearly capped off a fine display with that pitch-length run that came up just short at the death.
    O’Brien’s agricultural background is often played up a little bit too much in the media, but in the first few minutes, he looked like the proverbial bull let loose in a china shop.
    For us, however, Sean O’Brien was the man that stood tallest. Shifted into a supposed uncomfortable role at openside flanker in the absence of David Wallace, it was thought that his impact on the game would be limited. We should never have worried. He was absolutely immense and left Australian supporters rueing the pre-game loss of the phenomenal David Pocock.
    From the off, you could see that the ‘Tullow Tank’ was really up for it. During Ireland’s Call, he looked on the verge of tears and it didn’t take him long to transfer that highly-charged emotion to the pitch. O’Brien’s agricultural background is often played up a little bit too much in the media, but in the first few minutes, he looked like the proverbial bull let loose in a china shop.
    Within seconds he had turned over a ball for Ireland and once he had done so, looked fit to turn over any angry Aussies that came his way. The subsequent fisticuffs died down fairly quickly, but O’Brien had made his impact.
    Throughout the game, would-be Aussie tacklers discovered what Leinster’s opponents found out all last season – that O’Brien does not go down easily. You think you have him tackled, but then he gets those massive legs driving and the gain-line is broken once more.
    Time and time again, he made the hard yards and he was also one of a number of Irish players that executed the ‘choke’ tackle, designed by defence coach Les Kiss, to perfection. O’Brien’s most crucial contribution, however, was a try-saving tackle made on Will Genia towards the death.
    The Wallabies were two scores down, but still had time to turn it around. Some Irish bodies looked as if they had nothing left in the tank and the Wallabies smelled blood. Genia made a dart for the line and looked to have got beyond the Irish cover until O’Brien wrapped those giant arms him and wrestled him to the ground.
    ‘None shall pass,’ he said and it was an attitude that typified O’Brien and his team-mates all night long.
    O’Brien had spoke before the tournament about making an impact on the world stage and he has done it. Teams that weren’t aware of his threat already are well aware now. Irish fans will hope that it is not his last significant contribution of the tournament, but somehow this feels like only the beginning…

3faf7_?data=eyJldmVudCI6ICJmdWxsdGV4dGltcHJlc3Npb24iLCAicHJvcGVydGllcyI6IHsidG9rZW4iOiAiYTRhNDYwYTM5MDRlZWU4ZmY1ZTAyNGVhNGJkZTdhYzIifX0=&ip=1&img=1eb1c5_p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Amazing game, still recovering from last night. Auckland became an irish colony for the night:pac::pac:

The supporters and players were magnificent i felt.The Atmosphere at the ground was crazy,Completely drowned out anything the Aussies tried to muster.

The amount of heart and fight on display from the lads was immense last night, still got goosebumps from the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That was the best experience of my life being in Eden Park last night. The team were incredible last night backed up by terrific support. We drank the pubs dry :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

who are we likely to play in the semis?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Matt Williams
    france or england all going to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Australia

Did O'Gara say " I'll be done with Ireland in a few weeks" ?

Is O'Gara going to finish up straight after the world cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

J Ross has been binding on the LH's armpit/arm in every scrum and we were lucky that nobody picked it up during the game. Ross would have probably adapted if it was picked up and it was smart play but, I would be bitter if I was an Aussie.

In relation to the scrum, if memory serves me correct the first 3 points we gave away was because Healy wasnt binding. As far as I could see, Alexander was (trying to) bind on Healys arm. I thought this was illegal and you had to bind with the body part of the shirt? Surely Healys attempts to bind were better than Alexanders?!

I'll gladly be corrected as not 100% sure of the rules and I'm a little tired/drunk/still emotional!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Matt Williams
    gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Did O'Gara say " I'll be done with Ireland in a few weeks" ?

Is O'Gara going to finish up straight after the world cup?

He did, but most people reckon its just a knee jerk reaction to not starting the game, coupled with the emotion of the day. I hope he stays for a couple more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Matt Williams
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Wow. Absolutely speechless. What a performance! Remember-these guys beat the All Blacks 3 weeks ago. Hats off to all. Brilliant brilliant performance. Dont let anybody try and pur cold water on this-this was Ireland's greatest ever performance IMO. To beat Australia at the highest level when it matters in a their own back yard (well almost) is an incredible achievement. Hats off to Kidney too. ALL is forgiven.

My Ratings:

Kearney 7
    Bowe 7
    BOD 6
    D'Arcy 6
    Earls 6
    Sexton 6
    Reddan 6
    Healy 9
    Best 8
    Ross 9
    DOC 8
    POC 8
    Ferris 9
    SOB 9
    Heaslip 6

Subs: Murray 6 ROG 7 Trimble 6 Court 6

I think Best deserves as much as anybody at least in the sense of expectations. We all know about the props but the enigmatic Rory excelled in throwing, passing, running, tackling and scrummaging. BTW ROG was vital in stopping an Oz resurgence.

Advertisement