Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did anyone hear the ref ask one of the Aussie players at one stage if he was a doctor or a lawyer? What was he on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Did anyone hear the ref ask one of the Aussie players at one stage if he was a doctor or a lawyer? What was he on about?

He was speaking with Vickerman who took a well publicised break a couple of years ago to complete studies in law at Cambridge. He actually captained them in their colours match. It was quite funny. Lawrence said to him "You're a doctor, right?" Vickerman looked at him like he had two heads and replied "No" with no shortage of incredulity. "Well, you're a lawyer then". You could see what Vickerman thought of him. :p

It was all a "You're a bright boy, you don't need me to explain the rules, don't do that again" sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

any update about our injuries

Is darcy out with hamstring?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Darce and poc to have scans on hamstrings but they're not real worries .
    Kearney with tight calf
    I expect they'll sit out the Russia game .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Matt Williams
    Having read every post in this thread I'm wondering if we've established a new record as there doesn't appear to have been a single ROG/Sexton post since the game? :D Roll on the game with Russia. I wonder if they will target the Italian match on Tuesday and have a weaker team out afterwards for Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I'm watching the pre-game show from Fox Australia and had to upload this to Youtube:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Australia
    I'm watching the pre-game show from Fox Australia and had to upload this to Youtube:

lol he got mixed up, he meant the Oz fans will have noting to cheer about. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Matt Williams
    who are we likely to play in the semis?

Steady on... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Australia
    Highlights concentrated into 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Who was offside for Murray's try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Matt Williams
    One thing I was very impressed with was how low key the celebrations by the Irish team were after the final whistle. No mad jumping around the place, nothing that would really indicate the significance of the result. It reminded me of when Leinster beat Toulouse in the HC semi's - the realisation that it's just one game (for the moment) and there's still plenty of work to do. Obviously they're chuffed, but they're also keeping it in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Matt Williams
    Who was offside for Murray's try?

It was Heaslip rolling out of the ruck that knocked it out. Don't think anyone was offside. Don't think there was a penalty there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

JRant wrote: »

Only sour note was ROG's interview after the game, when he more or less said he was retiring after the WC. Surely he could have sat on this rather than sulking cause he didn't start.

Never heard as much tripe and bullsh*t condensed into 35 or so words. You my friend should take a bow.

Milk of Magnesia is a far second to producing that kind of stuff... Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Australia
    Anyone notice that SOB and Ferris were switching around in the scrums? SOB was on the blindside when he made that try saving tackle on Genia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

DylanJM wrote: »
    Anyone notice that SOB and Ferris were switching around in the scrums? SOB was on the blindside when he made that try saving tackle on Genia.

No he wasn't.

Australia
    danthefan wrote: »
    No he wasn't.

Was he not? Is the left side of the scrum not the side 6's play on?

No, the blindside is. ;)

It's not a left/right thing, it's an open/blind or wide/narrow in relation to the pitch if that explains it better. Genia attacked the openside which was the wider side of the pitch in relation to the scrum.

The blindside is the side that's closer to the touchline. It can be either the left or the right depending on where the scrum takes place. In this case, from an Ireland point of view, the scrum was over on the right hand side of the pitch, so Ferris packed down on the right, which was the blindside.

Some teams sometimes will just play right and left flankers, I think France and South Africa in particular.

Australia
    Oh right my mistake. So do the flankers always switch sides then in relation to where the scrum is on the pitch? I must say I've never actually noticed this in all the years I've watched rugby :o

Oh right my mistake. So do the flankers always switch sides then in relation to where the scrum is on the pitch? I must say I've never actually noticed this in all the years I've watched rugby :o

Yep, for Ireland this will always be the case.

• Advertisement

Just watching the game again. When Kearney fell on that ball in the Oz 22, if we had gone left it was try time. We had two or three backs against a narrow defence. Bit of quick movement on the ball and we should have been in the corner.

GerM wrote: »
    Just watching the game again. When Kearney fell on that ball in the Oz 22, if we had gone left it was try time. We had two or three backs against a narrow defence. Bit of quick movement on the ball and we should have been in the corner.

Yeah, thought the exact same, terrible decision to go right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Australia
    GerM wrote: »

Thought Murray was a bit slow getting to that breakdown, so we ended up with poc and ross controlling the situation and it fizzled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

ON setanta williams said injurys out of the match

Darcy - Grade 1 hamstring
    O Connell - tightness of hamstring
    Kearney - some muscle injury

All in all not as bad as first feared about darcy - maximum 3 weeks or could be ok in few days, given we can rest him against russia the way the fixture list has panned out for us seems ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

skydish79 wrote: »
    given we can rest him against russia the way the fixture list has panned out for us seems ideal
    We've got Italy in Otago a covered stadium. Nicely planned International Rugby Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Thought Murray was a bit slow getting to that breakdown, so we ended up with poc and ross controlling the situation and it fizzled out.
    If only Ross had straightened up, he'd have blundered his way over.
    Would have topped a magnificent day to have gotten a try.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    If only Ross had straightened up, he'd have blundered his way over.
    Would have topped a magnificent day to have gotten a try.

I really doubt Ross could have scored, he's too slow and there were too many defenders in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Did anyone find tommy bowes run at the end kind of hilarious?

There was a real 'run Forrest run' vibe to it.

I've watched it six times now and I'm sure he's going to make it once.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Did anyone find tommy bowes run at the end kind of hilarious?

There was a real 'run Forrest run' vibe to it.

I've watched it six times now and I'm sure he's going to make it once.

Sexton was sure he was going to make it too! The premature fist pump is cringetastic on reflection given that Bowe didn't get there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Sexton was sure he was going to make it too! The premature fist pump is cringetastic on reflection given that Bowe didn't get there...
    I have to say, it's a bit worrying that he tied up. I know it was at the end of the game, but O'Connor was on the pitch just as long and he made up 10 yards on him.

Our best bet for a breakaway try is probably Cian Healy, he'd be caught quickly enough but just drag the tacklers the remaining 60 metres.

Advertisement