Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Australia
    I have to say, it's a bit worrying that he tied up. I know it was at the end of the game, but O'Connor was on the pitch just as long and he made up 10 yards on him.

Our best bet for a breakaway try is probably Cian Healy, he'd be caught quickly enough but just drag the tacklers the remaining 60 metres.

How did he tie up? Over 95 metres or so it was obvious O Connor is the faster of the two and he made up the ground to get the tackle in, O'Connor was coming in from an angle so its had to tell who was ahead of who, i dont think Bowe 'tied up'.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

JRant wrote: »
    Great performance, best result ever at the WC. Thought to the man we were head and shoulders above the Aussies.

Only sour note was ROG's interview after the game, when he more or less said he was retiring after the WC. Surely he could have sat on this rather than sulking cause he didn't start.

Sour note for who?

There was a time here when some posters said ROG wasn't honest in what he sadi now he gives an interview from his heart and he gets knocked - some poster are never happy when it comes to certain players and ROG seems to be one of those players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Matt Williams
    ambid wrote: »
    Steady on... :)

What he meant to say was who are our victims in the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ynwa2012

Australia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZukiIS9OeY
    Stephen ferris shows the english how to toss midgets responsibily....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

How did he tie up? Over 95 metres or so it was obvious O Connor is the faster of the two and he made up the ground to get the tackle in, O'Connor was coming in from an angle so its had to tell who was ahead of who, i dont think Bowe 'tied up'.

Bowe received the ball 3 meters from his line. O'Connor would have been possibly out on the right (Bowe's left) maybe on the 20m line.

Bowe had to negotiate a tap tackle also in the mean time. O'Connor just about got there, but had less ground to cover, had no tackles to contend with either.

Sexton was sure he was going to make it too! The premature fist pump is cringetastic on reflection given that Bowe didn't get there...

I didnt think it was a fist pump, looked to me to be encouraging him to run

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Matt Williams
    GerM wrote: »
    He was speaking with Vickerman who took a well publicised break a couple of years ago to complete studies in law at Cambridge. He actually captained them in their colours match. It was quite funny. Lawrence said to him "You're a doctor, right?" Vickerman looked at him like he had two heads and replied "No" with no shortage of incredulity. "Well, you're a lawyer then". You could see what Vickerman thought of him. :p

It was all a "You're a bright boy, you don't need me to explain the rules, don't do that again" sort of thing.

He studied Land Economy, not law. He was in my college over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ynwa2012 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZukiIS9OeY
    Stephen ferris shows the english how to toss midgets responsibily....:D

I love the way Ferris is like a fcuking spider here... Just watching him waiting him to touch the ball, then grabbing him like a tasty morsel. YUM YUM SCRUM-HALF!

I once saw Stephen Ferris under a bridge, eating billy-goat's gruffs...

Okay, so a decent day and a half after the event, the elation has died down, and now it's time to stand back and review the match, and the points needing to improve.

A couple of things that are definite worries and other teams will pick up on.
    1. Jamie Heaslip: Needs a game on the bench to get that hunger back, or just to watch a game from afar. I've no doubt a half-speed Heaslip would be far more ideal then a full-speed Leamy at 8... But I think a week on the bench will make him wanting to show how it's done.
    2. Backs: The fact we cannot hide from. We didn't score any tries. Neither did the Aussies, yes, but that was because our pack dominated. The pack's job is to dominate so the backs can get in and score tries. We did not do that, so in essence our performance was just an 85% effort.

Solution? I don't know, but I think it's gotta be similar to when a FH is having an off-day on the kicking tee.. They need to get back into it and start scoring tries in order to get the rhythm back. Russia could be that ideal platform. Ireland need to be cynical with them.. They also need to understand Russia will be massive upfront and try to do what we did to Oz.. So we can't just put our second string team out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

does anyone know where i can see the game in full.:( got called into work so early saturday morning and didnt have time to set the recorder....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(.. it must be up somewhere. The need to see it is slowly killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Australia
    not sure but it might be up on rte player if your in roi
    or on itv player if your in ni

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

twinytwo wrote: »
    does anyone know where i can see the game in full.:( got called into work so early saturday morning and didnt have time to set the recorder....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(.. it must be up somewhere. The need to see it is slowly killing me

the full game is on rugbyworldcup.com, every game and all highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

the full game is on rugbyworldcup.com, every game and all highlights.

sir... i tip my hat to you.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Australia
    I have to say, it's a bit worrying that he tied up. I know it was at the end of the game, but O'Connor was on the pitch just as long and he made up 10 yards on him.

Our best bet for a breakaway try is probably Cian Healy, he'd be caught quickly enough but just drag the tacklers the remaining 60 metres.

One was running with ball in hand one wasnt, If the tables were turned Bowe would have caught O'Connor

astonaidan wrote: »
    One was running with ball in hand one wasnt, If the tables were turned Bowe would have caught O'Connor

I'd agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Matt Williams
    We all know Tommy Bowe isn't quick enough to be an international winger...

Ghook.gif

Did anyone go to the o2 for the match on saturday? was it worth going?

Would it be worth going for on of the upcoming matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

whycliff wrote: »
    Did anyone go to the o2 for the match on saturday? was it worth going?

Would it be worth going for on of the upcoming matches?

Didnt go myself but i saw clips of the o2 after the game and the place looked jammers

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

.ak wrote: »
    I love the way Ferris is like a fcuking spider here... Just watching him waiting him to touch the ball, then grabbing him like a tasty morsel. YUM YUM SCRUM-HALF!

I once saw Stephen Ferris under a bridge, eating billy-goat's gruffs...

It's even better watching that Ferris tackle/carry again and realising he smashes into O'Connor, which I hadn't twigged at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Matt Williams
    B0X wrote: »
    We all know Tommy Bowe isn't quick enough to be an international winger...

Ghook.gif
    Oh how I laughed :D

It's even better watching that Ferris tackle/carry again and realising he smashes into O'Connor, which I hadn't twigged at the time

Hahah yeh and O'Connor tries to turn when he realizes a combined maul is about to fall on him. The look of fear on his face is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Matt Williams
    astonaidan wrote: »

Good point. O'Connor also has a serious pair of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Matt Williams
    Brewster wrote: »
    I have defended Rory Best on this forum to the tilt and this morning's display shows why. What a fastatic display of hooking it was, one crocked throw aside. He was the cement between the props today and his defence was simply sensensational. Of course there is a element of 'I told you so' about this post, but feck it, I've earned it!!!!!

If Healy was spectacular and Ross indispensable, the enigmatic Rory Best was the most surprising to me. He was like another wing forward out there, passing and running with well-nigh balletic grace. And the throws were straight, or straight enough to pass. How wonderfully wrong I was about the man.

Matt Williams
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Good point. O'Connor also has a serious pair of wheels.

Looking at the slo-mo, it seemed to me that O'Connor's stride rate was much the same as Bowe's but he has an impressive stride length for his size. Anyway, wingers are rarely called upon to run the length of the field so I wouldn't worry too much about Tommy's deficiencies in this regard - the interception itself put the match away. He had a good game with some excellent catches and seems to be recovering his form. It may seem churlish after our greatest ever victory but I would still have questions about the offensive capabilities of some of the other backs inside him. Can they still score tries against the top teams?

Ardillaun wrote: »
    If Healy was spectacular and Ross indispensable, the enigmatic Rory Best was the most surprising to me. He was like another wing forward out there, passing and running with well-nigh balletic grace. And the throws were straight, or straight enough to pass. How wonderfully wrong I was about the man.

I havent seen a hooker play sexy since Pretty Woman

Matt Williams
    Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    This might well be the most petty, small minded comment in a long time. Get over yourself. The colour of his cap is ****ing irrelevant, same as it is irrelevant for Best's or Leamy's caps or Earls' ****ing red shoes.

The cap did confuse the NZ commentators who misidentifed Ferris as Heaslip on at least one occasion.

Matt Williams
    Somebody, early on this thread I think, mentioned that one factor that had greatly improved in recent years was the team's fitness. That was certainly the case on the weekend. Sean O'Brien was still able to chase down and stop Genia a few yards from our line just before Tommy's run.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Who actually got MOTM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

castie wrote: »
    Who actually got MOTM?

Healy

Advertisement