Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Bryce Lawrence

did anyone else notice the referee was in Sexton's face every time he was kicking, lawrence was about 3 feet to sexton's right and as sexton was running up to kick Lawrence started running at the same time.

Not using this as an excuse for his kicking display but surely it doesnt help having the referee running along side you in your periphial vision as you're taking a kick.

Not to mention lawrence getting in reddan's way in the first half and then giving a knock on against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Australia
    bamboozle wrote: »
    Not to mention lawrence getting in reddan's way in the first half and then giving a knock on against us.

That was an absolute joke. I just can't understand why he wouldn't give us the scrum there, he knew he got in the way of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

That was an absolute joke. I just can't understand why he wouldn't give us the scrum there, he knew he got in the way of play.

If we're talking about the same incident, it was Horwill who was there. Was there another one I'm forgetting about where Lawrence bumped Reddan? It was ridiculous that we didn't receive a scrum if not a penalty for the one I'm thinking of. Horwill was very slow to his feet and was in precisely the line of a pass where Reddan turned. He knew exactly what he was doing. Lawrence should have awarded a penalty and given him a talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

GerM wrote: »
    If we're talking about the same incident, it was Horwill who was there. Was there another one I'm forgetting about where Lawrence bumped Reddan? It was ridiculous that we didn't receive a scrum if not a penalty for the one I'm thinking of. Horwill was very slow to his feet and was in precisely the line of a pass where Reddan turned. He knew exactly what he was doing. Lawrence should have awarded a penalty and given him a talking to.

No you've got the right incident. The reason why Horwill ended up in the way was because Reddan initially wanted to go left, but Lawrence was directly in his passing line, so we were forced right where Horwill was labouring. Shockin refereeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

GerM wrote: »

Same incident, but reddan turned to pass it out left first, but Lawrence was in the way, when he turned right Horwill was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Burgo wrote: »
    Same incident, but reddan turned to pass it out left first, but Lawrence was in the way, when he turned right Horwill was there.

Just watched it again. Didn't see Lawrence at the time. He even ducks as he knows he's in the line of the pass. Makes it even worse. Very silly call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

whycliff wrote: »
    Never heard as much tripe and bullsh*t condensed into 35 or so words. You my friend should take a bow.

Milk of Magnesia is a far second to producing that kind of stuff... Bravo.

You obviously didn't hear the interview that he is referring to when you posted this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Bryce Lawrence

did anyone else notice the referee was in Sexton's face every time he was kicking, lawrence was about 3 feet to sexton's right and as sexton was running up to kick Lawrence started running at the same time.

Not using this as an excuse for his kicking display but surely it doesnt help having the referee running along side you in your periphial vision as you're taking a kick.

I was actually going to post the same thing....I have watched the game 3 times....he is practically walking past his shoulder as he approaches the kick at times and definitely in his eyeline.

Commentary on the match from inside a Wellington pub...NSFW (language)

http://soundcloud.com/jed-thian/tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Fizman wrote: »
    You obviously didn't hear the interview that he is referring to when you posted this.

I did see the interview and in no way did O'Gara come across as "sulking" because he didn't start.

Maybe you should read the previous posters post in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The incident re: Reddan's pass blocked by ref and Horwill..

I agree that it should've resulted in a scrum, but what Reddan should've done is throw the ball at the ref - it would've been our scrum automatically then, and it'd teach the ref to wake up and move his positional stance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Australia
    .ak wrote: »
    The incident re: Reddan's pass blocked by ref and Horwill..

I agree that it should've resulted in a scrum, but what Reddan should've done is throw the ball at the ref - it would've been our scrum automatically then, and it'd teach the ref to wake up and move his positional stance.
    Or thrown it at Horwill which would have resulted in a penalty...hang on...

Australia
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    Commentary on the match from inside a Wellington pub...NSFW (language)

http://soundcloud.com/jed-thian/tracks

Haha watching the match with this now. Its awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Australia
    Bryce Lawrence

Not using this as an excuse for his kicking display but surely it doesn't help having the referee running along side you in your periphial vision as you're taking a kick.

I remember watching it and picked that up also, i thought it was ridiculous its as if Lawrence was trying to put sexton off his kicks or knock him off his stride even, absolutely no need to be running up like that considering the two touch judges are at the posts.
    Can anyone remember did Lawrence do the same for O'Connors kicks as a matter of interest?

JustinDee wrote: »
    Or thrown it at Horwill which would have resulted in a penalty...hang on...

Ha, I get what you mean, but I'm talking about Reddan's decision making. The reason the ball knocked on was because he wasn't aware Horwill was there. He never even got a chance to throw it at him, he spun around and knocked on.

SH's gotta take the opportunities fast. He wasn't aware of his options that's why he spun around. He should've fired the ball at the ref.

Not slating Reddan or anything, I'm sure the pressure of that kind of call is huge on that kind of event. Also I'm a big Reddan fan so I'll say no more. :)

Australia
    Ha, I get what you mean, but I'm talking about Reddan's decision making. The reason the ball knocked on was because he wasn't aware Horwill was there. He never even got a chance to throw it at him, he spun around and knocked on.

SH's gotta take the opportunities fast. He wasn't aware of his options that's why he spun around. He should've fired the ball at the ref.

Not slating Reddan or anything, I'm sure the pressure of that kind of call is huge on that kind of event. Also I'm a big Reddan fan so I'll say no more. :)

Nothing to do with Reddan's decision making. The second Horwill became involved it should have been a penalty to Ireland. Reddan can't do anything aobut Bryce Lawrence being an awful ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nothing to do with Reddan's decision making. The second Horwill became involved it should have been a penalty to Ireland. Reddan can't do anything aobut Bryce Lawrence being an awful ref.

Both Matt Williams and Franno agreed Lawrence made the right call on the replay, which I don't get. Lawrence said the ball was out of the ruck which played Horwill onside, but surely he was offside, not because of his position in relation to the ruck, but because of his position in relation to the scrum-half and the ball? Or is it because he had been part of the ruck that then plays him onside regardless?

I'd imagine because he ducked he felt he gave Reddan the opportunity to go left....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a tricky one.

Clerc's first try for the French came from an up and under which was knocked back to him standing on the Canadian side by a Canadian player.

Australia
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Both Matt Williams and Franno agreed Lawrence made the right call on the replay, which I don't get. Lawrence said the ball was out of the ruck which played Horwill onside, but surely he was offside, not because of his position in relation to the ruck, but because of his position in relation to the scrum-half and the ball? Or is it because he had been part of the ruck that then plays him onside regardless?

I'd imagine because he ducked he felt he gave Reddan the opportunity to go left....
    They're both wrong.
    Horwill was already offside before ball was made available.
    Was basically a mistake by Lawrence who made only one more of consequence (Irish final scrum penalty).
    He'll put it down to experience and carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

They're both wrong.
    Was basically a mistake by Lawrence who made only one more of consequence (Irish final scrum penalty).

I think he made a mistake in an early scrum too, Irish guy/s on their knees, they then get push on the Aussie's who subsequently put their hands on the ground to be penalised. But we'll take that one :D

Australia
    They're both wrong.

Final scrum was clearly an Ozzie penalty. Neither prop got their bind, but that was because Court was on the turf about a milisecond after the ref called engage, for the second time in a row (happened just before the reset).

Having watched it again I still think Lawrence was poor, but I think his mistakes balanced out. Some of the penalties he gave us in the scrums were incorrect, but at the same time we dominated them and could have gotten the penalties elsewhere in the same scrums.

• Advertisement

Australia
    Final scrum was clearly an Ozzie penalty. Neither prop got their bind, but that was because Court was on the turf about a milisecond after the ref called engage, for the second time in a row (happened just before the reset)
    Final scrum which yielded three points to Ireland is what I was actually referring to. It should have been another reset and not a penalty to Ireland.
    Overall he'd a fairly okay game.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

leftism wrote: »
    So true about the SH medias coverage of Ireland in the World Cup run-up! Apparently Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell are the only Irish rugby players that register with the media down under...

Australia, meet Stephen Ferris! Your scrumhalf is not likely to forget him any time soon...

inpho_00544059-630x466.jpg

Amazing go on Ferris, still smiling two days later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Australia
    molloyjh wrote: »

The ref said to Reddan "you went in a circle", which I took to mean that although Horwill was in an offside position, he wasn't deliberately interfering with play and it wouldn't have been an issue if Reddan had gone left. You sometimes see scrum-halves deliberately running into or throwing the ball at a player who's offside to win a penalty.

However, since Reddan couldn't go left with Lawrence standing there and couldn't go right with Horwill there, the correct call should have been a scrum to Ireland for the ref interfering.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a tricky one.

Clerc's first try for the French came from an up and under which was knocked back to him standing on the Canadian side by a Canadian player.

That's different, a ruck had not formed, so Clerc couldn't have been offside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The only thing I would criticise Reddan for is not throwing the pass, even with the ref in the way. He'd have had to given us a scrum in that case. I don't really blame Horwill either tbh, I don't think he had any intention of spoiling the play. I think the ref made an awful call.

And the ball coming out of the ruck does not put Horwill back onside, or else you'd have guys lying offside after every ruck waiting to pop up and tackle the SH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Australia
    Just watched the game again; 5 minutes to go and Australia had a scrum about 10 metres out, Genia sniped off the base and O'Brien made an unbelievable tackle. Crucial moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Just watched the game again; 5 minutes to go and Australia had a scrum about 10 metres out, Genia sniped off the base and O'Brien made an unbelievable tackle. Crucial moment.

Unreal tackle. SOB had an epic game, some brilliant carries and I actually would have had him as a MOTM contender aswell.

I think the fact we thought we'd be playing Pocock and the stigma associated with that meant we were over prepared to blow them away at ruck time if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

wixfjord wrote: »

Unreal tackle. SOB had an epic game, some brilliant carries and I actually would have had him as a MOTM contender aswell.

I think the fact we thought we'd be playing Pocock and the stigma associated with that meant we were over prepared to blow them away at ruck time if that makes sense!

In that case we should prepare for Pocock before every game.....and maybe visualise him in an English jearsey as well....

The Redden incident just before half time was awful - I think the ref thought that because Redden had spun around the Aussie player had actually come from an onside position and tackled him (which obviously didn't happen) - otherwise it's a god awful decision

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Everytime I think of the game, I can't help smiling.

Happy days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

padser wrote: »
    In that case we should prepare for Pocock before every game.....and maybe visualise him in an English jearsey as well....

The Redden incident just before half time was awful - I think the ref thought that because Redden had spun around the Aussie player had actually come from an onside position and tackled him (which obviously didn't happen) - otherwise it's a god awful decision

In fairness to the ref, he ducked to allow Reddan pass the ball, when he straghtened up, Reddan was spinning away from him and the Aussie was in his way, the ref must have thought he came from an onside position.

Advertisement