Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options
1505152535456»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Australia seemed to become increasingly frustrated at making no inroads in the Irish defence. Guys like Beale ended up having to take the game to Ireland on their own.
    The real invention and spark I'm seeing is from the backrow. At times OBrien and Heaslip linked up like backs to create space for themselves.
    Then our backs have their defence and communication spot on. We have good hands and good kickers behind the scrum. Some of our up and unders were way up and we have the players to reclaim those kicks. We had a few wayward kicks to the middle of the pitch? Hopefully that was a one off.
    If we have ROG, Sexton, Kearney on the pitch then that is three lads with serious boots on them. Love to see Kearney have a decent game against Russia. Between his kicking and his ability to take the ball back towards halfway he can be a match winner when in form.
    Think too our lack of injuries and 80 minutes of intensity is no stroke of luck, we have been able to prepare/rehab the players two/three times a day in Carton house for several weeks before the tournament. We also were able to rest players as most play with Munster/Leinster/Ulster. The forwards especially will have benefitted from that long training run in for their stamina. Not too many other nations would have had such preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I was just thinking there... Matt Williams really did win didn't he? The ultimate fence sitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

.ak wrote: »
    I was just thinking there... Matt Williams really did win didn't he? The ultimate fence sitter.

He's not a fence sitter at all. He refers to Ireland as 'we', has lived in Ireland for 13 years and is an Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

trackguy wrote: »
    He's not a fence sitter at all. He refers to Ireland as 'we', has lived in Ireland for 13 years and is an Irish citizen.
    He announced before game that he was cheering Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

he made no bones about it Matt was well shouting for Ireland he always does hes a proud plastic paddy and has no shame in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hahaha.. Until we lose! ;)

1:04

Telling ya, he's just saying he's a Paddy for the ratings! He's got a gold jersey on under that suit! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

phog wrote: »
    My point exactly, we were a few Aussie handling errors away from losing the game.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

We were centimetres from two tries but scored neither.

Aussie handling errors were irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Australia
    I've watched the Bowe intercept a few times now, and I think he does really well and does the right things.

In terms of straight line speed, you can see that while O'Connor has to come across the pitch, he has obviously started a fair bit closer to the Aus try line than Bowe. Bowe is slowing at the end, but so is everyone else, and it's actually really close at the end. He also has the presence of mind to try a little jink at the end. Sometimes that might throw off a guy barrelling along at top speed on an intercept line - it doesn't work but was worth trying.

In the context of the game though, hanging onto the ball and making sure play ended up at the other end of the pitch was the right decision. Kicking cross field would have been incredibly risky. He couldn't be sure of how well he would execute the kick, or where other players from either team tracking back might be. A kick could conceivably gone to Aussie hands, and they are well capable of scoring from a broken field position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Australia
    trackguy wrote: »
    He hasn't lived here for yonks. Is now based in France. When Scottish coach he was living in Edinburgh.
    He's an Australian who happens to have an Irish passport that allows him to work in Europe.
    Nice guy and all but he's about as Irish as Ray Houghton.

I'm an Australian citizen but am Irish. When Ireland play Aussie in rugby union, I know which side I'm shouting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

JustinDee wrote: »
    I'm an Australian citizen but am Irish. When Ireland play Aussie in rugby union, I know which side I'm shouting for.
    Aus? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement