Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone fitted a fireplace that is basically just a hole in the wall?

• 15-09-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I took out this really old tiled fireplace from my small sitting room that was way yoo big for it. I took out the mantle piece and everything. I replastered, so now there is literally just a hole in the wall.

What I was thinking was just to put a firewall each side and at the back, and just tile the edge of the outside. No mantelpiece, as small as possible hearth, and maybe just a fire basket or something.

Is this doable? Do I need the fireback that comes out from the wall a little bit. Will the flue be too high? (Originally it had a huge fireplace, so the flue is really really high)

I cant find any images of what Im looking for on the internet, so I don’t know how common this is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

One thing to worry about is the plaster on the outside of the chimney breast. If that gets too hot it could crack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I took out this really old tiled fireplace from my small sitting room that was way yoo big for it. I took out the mantle piece and everything. I replastered, so now there is literally just a hole in the wall.

What I was thinking was just to put a firewall each side and at the back, and just tile the edge of the outside. No mantelpiece, as small as possible hearth, and maybe just a fire basket or something.

Is this doable? Do I need the fireback that comes out from the wall a little bit. Will the flue be too high? (Originally it had a huge fireplace, so the flue is really really high)

I cant find any images of what Im looking for on the internet, so I don’t know how common this is

Fit a stove instead.

An open fire just means that 80% of your heat goes up and out through the chimney.

Pointless.

Advertisement