Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking hardware?

• 15-09-2011 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm in need of a bit of help.

I share a house and recently my colleague wiped his PC clean (it had been running very slow). He reinstalled windows and all the utilities and Drivers he thought were relevant. It's up and running but there's no connection to the internet for him.

We're with UPC, we rang them and they referred us to a 1550 number, so I want to see if there's anything I can do before ringing this (we can't really afford to be on too long there)

Anyway, when I go to the Networking window, I click connect to internet. It says:
    "Windows did not detect any networking hardware"

Now the router is in my room - It's wired directly into my Xbox, and to be honest, it'd be a pain in the arse to get that connection out - it's been stapled down and rewired through the ceiling, for a start.

Also, when I click 'Show Connection options PC is not set up to use, Broadband PPoE and Dial up appear. It asks for an ISP CD. But I've no idea what this is. I can't find any relevant CDs for it.

A main problem I feel, is that when I click to turn 'network discovery on', it never comes on. It asks for the user to validate this, but stays off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I havn't a notion where to start and don't want to pay through the teeth, either. Can't really afford to these days!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Go to device manager by right clicking on computer, choose properties and click on hardware. Check the list to see if there is a yellow exclamation mark beside network adapter. If there is he needs to install drivers. If he is using the network port on the motherboard you can find the drivers on the motherboard cd. If you don't have a cd for it or he is using a pci network card open the pc case, note the model number of the motherboard or pci card and the find the driver online.

If there was no yellow exclamation mark, tell me the operating system its on (I'm guessing XP) and also type cmd in the run box then type ipconfig and tell me what message you get. E.g Media Disconnect or 192.168.X.X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Will try that as soon as he gets back from the shops!
    Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Cheers again.
    We got one driver installed no bother, but we need an SM Bus Controller and USB 2.0 WLAN drivers. I presume I can just find these on the drivers disk or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Koded_AR_Rose

you can download those drivers online relatively easily not sure what the protocol for using company names here but one of easiest places to look is dell.ie (sorry again if its taboo to use the name)

Advertisement