Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh jalapeños in cork?

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hey, anyone know a place to buy these in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know a place to buy these in the city?

English Market afaik..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

SexyGuy wrote: »
    English Market afaik..

Nope, iv been in there and they didnt have any. They had buckets of other types of peppers but no Jalapeno's.

They only seem to be available in brine in places like Tesco or Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jagblad

Not quite in the city, but I think Aldi were selling small plastic punnets containing various chillies last week. Be wary of the habanero if it's included.The one in Turner's cross is walkable from the city center.

In the city might be worth having a look in the ethnic food shop behind the savoy center (can't remember if it's chinese/indian/pakistani - or even if it's still open).

If you're driving you could have a look in the Chinese and Indian cash & carry shops on the Tramore road.

jagblad wrote: »
    Not quite in the city, but I think Aldi were selling small plastic punnets containing various chillies last week. Be wary of the habanero if it's included.The one in Turner's cross is walkable from the city center.

In the city might be worth having a look in the ethnic food shop behind the savoy center (can't remember if it's chinese/indian/pakistani - or even if it's still open).

If you're driving you could have a look in the Chinese and Indian cash & carry shops on the Tramore road.

Once again. These never contain Jalepenos, Trust me everytime is see these punnets for sale i will always check to see if they have Jalapenos included. But they never do :(

Im begining to think that these peppers cannot be exported to Ireland fresh, therefore they have to be put in brine to preserve them. Trust me OP im on a vendetta to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jagblad

I had a look when I was there (Aldi), I think there was 1 in each punnet of 8 or so chilies, or at least one finger length smooth green one - I think that was the one they were claiming as being a jalapeño.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bofh666ie

Pakistani shop on North Main St. (Spice Something) has various peppers, birdseyes, habaneros, and, IIRC, jalapenos too. 5 for 20c. Beat that Aldi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Many Supermarkets sell Old El Paso ones in a jar, i buy them regularly in Centra/Supervalu.

Sofa King wrote: »
    Many Supermarkets sell Old El Paso ones in a jar, i buy them regularly in Centra/Supervalu.

There is no comparison of fresh jalepenos to those in brine. It like comparing fresh tuna to tined tuna. BIG difference

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Hogzy wrote: »
    There is no comparison of fresh jalepenos to those in brine. It like comparing fresh tuna to tined tuna. BIG difference

Fair enough, it was just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I just saw some in super fruit at English market today. I bought some :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Aiysha's Spice House on Shandon Street should have them, on the right as you go up - before the Centra. They have a terrific range of chillies and spice and all things nice - I just adore the smell when I walk in the door. Give them a ring and it might save you a journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I just bought a punnet of them out in Dunnes in Bishopscourt earlier. ;)

Advertisement