Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running track measurements

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:09am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to measure how far you have ran on the UCD running track?

I'm not sure if it's a standard running track, but I think most tracks are 400m in circumference running on the inside lane.

I ran 8 laps in 19mins 10sec and am trying to figure out my speed (I usually run only on treadmills, but I have no gym membership anymore so I swapped to outdoors). I ran the 8 laps entirely in Lane 6 though (as in, the 6th lane from the inside, or the 3rd lane from the outside - there's 8 overall).

I googled and read that each lane distance increases by 7m from the inside lane, which would mean each lap is 400+(5x7) = 435m, meaning that 8 laps is 3.48km, meaning that my speed would be around 10.8km/h or so, which seems too fast - either running outside is easier than on a treadmill, or my measurements or wrong - it certainly 'felt' slower than on a treadmill.

Is there a way of measuring distances as I was in Lane 6 and not the inside lane? I have an Android phone so could probably get one of those GPS-fitness apps for next time but I doubt they're accurate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

That doesn't sound 'too fast', it sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

The track is old and pretty badly marked, so the only way to tell is to get a trundle-wheel, and measure the distance. Make sure to measure from the middle of the inside lane.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly wrong either way. . .

Also, about the time, you are doing an entirely different kind of running outdoors compared to the treadmill indoors. You're not waiting for the track to speed up outdoors, and it's a surface more conducive to running, which may explain the speed differential. . .

Lastly, if someone tells you something doesnt appear too fast, ignore them. . .every runner is different, and a slow time to one is unachieveably fast to another . . .you are the best judge of whether you are going fast or slow, and whether you're times and speeds are. . .

Good luck with your running!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Your time of 19 mins for 8 laps (3200m on standard inside lane) sounds about right to me. Gives you about 30 mins for a 5k (excuse my very rough maths) which is normal enough for a decent level of fitness.

I'll be there next week, I'll do a single lap in lane 6 with my Garmin and see!

(well I'll do two test laps, both in lane 6, one starting at the 400m start line and one starting at the finish line)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the answers! :)

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it's too fast in general, I'm saying it seemed like my calculations gave me a higher speed than I felt like I did, I did the run quite easy (or at least that's how it felt), whereas for me running on the treadmill over 10km/h feels like more effort than this morning felt!

And yea, I suppose it's true that outdoor running is different from treadmill running, but I always assumed that outdoor running was more difficult, as in real life, you have to propel yourself forward, whereas on the treadmill the belt moves. Either way, it's certainly less boring to run outside than it is to run on a treadmill for 20/30 minutes.

captain P, that would be an interesting experiment but don't go to too much effort if it's interfering with your workout! I'm only curious about the distance. I would have used the inside lane only that's where the faster runners go and I'd be holding them up probably!

And funny you mention it, 5k in sub-30mins is what I'm aiming for. My brother can do 5k in 20minutes, and has gotten below 20 minutes a few times (a LONG way off for me, I kill him on the bike though :P ) - and also claims that running outdoors is easier than the treadmill.

I think it depends on the person. I've never liked treadmills but thats coz I prefer more control. I always thought the terrain would be the biggest factor in whether outdoor is harder or not - track is nicer to run on than concrete, some people prefer grass for example.

Good luck with the sub 30 goal!! I'm aiming for sub 25 mins in my first 5k on the 25th :eek:.
    It'll be no trouble to seperate a few laps on the garmin, ill do it in my cool down!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yea the reason I'm running on the track as opposed to just around UCD is because the track is a bit softer, probably better for my legs. Although I want to (eventually) run around those forest trail walks, they look really good, and they're not too hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

captain P wrote: »
    I think it depends on the person. I've never liked treadmills but thats coz I prefer more control.

I can't run on a treadmill at all. Just can't let myself. Weird but at least there is someone else who feels the same.

I run 5.2Km, 3 days on and 1 day off. Do it in about 21 mins.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I can't run on a treadmill at all. Just can't let myself. Weird but at least there is someone else who feels the same.

I run 5.2Km, 3 days on and 1 day off. Do it in about 21 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

A Garmin is useless for measuring the distance traveled on a track, it will underestimate the distance traveled, due to the way GPS cuts corners! The track might be worn, but you can still clearly make out all the lanes. To be honest I think you are doing too many sums here trying to work out your speed etc ha, just get out and run and you will get fitter and run quicker!

I can't say I really know much about running on a threadmill, because I have only done about 10km in my whole life on one! But yep as you said, the theory is that you don't have any resistance, so its not as hard as running outdoors. The difference is not much at all though! The boredom of running on a threadmill makes it worst then running outdoors in my view ha!

Also, if you are interested, join UCD athletics during freshers week next week, only 10euro for the year, and we run most days of the week, and there will be a bit of a beginner group to hop in with.

Thanks! Yea, I don't need to focus too much on the numbers, I was just curious how much slower I felt outside, whereas in terms of speed I wasn't actually running slower at all than the treadmill.
    Timmaay wrote: »
    Also, if you are interested, join UCD athletics during freshers week next week, only 10euro for the year, and we run most days of the week, and there will be a bit of a beginner group to hop in with.
    Definitely wouldn't be good enough for that at the moment, maybe next year when I get a bit better at running! Thanks though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks! Yea, I don't need to focus too much on the numbers, I was just curious how much slower I felt outside, whereas in terms of speed I wasn't actually running slower at all than the treadmill.

Definitely wouldn't be good enough for that at the moment, maybe next year when I get a bit better at running! Thanks though!

If you have an iTouch or iPhone, this is a great App:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/couch-to-5k/id313494823?mt=8

I've used it for about 6 months now. Take your time and do each "week" in about two weeks. It keeps you on target and most importantly keeps you moving. Most people go flat out for about 15 mins, get wrecked and then go home thinking they've done a great work out. This will give you 30 mins of decent exercise without tiring you out. Also with the walking breaks between runs, you'll boost your metabolism.

By the way, I would be really interested in getting the track measurements as it would be dead handy to train on.

Ironclaw, that's actually what I am doing! The 20 minute run was the end of week 5! The reason I wanted to know distances was just to figure out if I was on track to doing 5km in under 30 minutes, which I am (so far), as anything over 10km/h means a pace of <30mins/5k.

I use the Robert Ullrey podcasts off the website though: http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Advertisement