Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company won't stand by quote

• 15-09-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Applied for a quote on the 31st of August with BrittonInsurance.com .
    The following day I received an updated quote via email with an additional 300 euro discount.

Rang them today to get the policy and I was told that they could'nt give the policy to me because my original quote was given on the 31st of August :mad:

Seemingly the quotes that they get from other companies expire every month. That's fair enough, but the point is, I received this new quote via email on the 1st of September at 1.30pm.

Is there anything I can do to get around this? I really can't afford the extra 300 quid insurance for a lousy 1litre car.

Thanks all,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Is there an expiry date/disclaimer on the email/quote anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

Nope. I wouldn't mind if it did, but it doesnt.

It may on the website, but the point is that they send me a new quote via email in September, not August. And with the way they are making it out on the phone, it wouldn't have mattered if I rang up on the 1st of Sept to get the policy - I still would have been refuesed :mad:

Dave

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are Brokers, not insurers. I'm sure they'd write the business if they could.

Did the quote or their website give any info. on expiry dates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

da4i's wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Applied for a quote on the 31st of August with BrittonInsurance.com .
    The following day I received an updated quote via email with an additional 300 euro discount.

Rang them today to get the policy and I was told that they could'nt give the policy to me because my original quote was given on the 31st of August :mad:

Seemingly the quotes that they get from other companies expire every month. That's fair enough, but the point is, I received this new quote via email on the 1st of September at 1.30pm.

Is there anything I can do to get around this? I really can't afford the extra 300 quid insurance for a lousy 1litre car.

Thanks all,
    Dave

if it was me i wouldn't be arsed giving my business to them if that's the case, try shopping around.

They are Brokers, not insurers. I'm sure they'd write the business if they could.

Did the quote or their website give any info. on expiry dates?

Just had a look there, and surprisingly enough, it doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shop around OP,

Try First Ireland - Brokers. It will be worth your while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

gustafo wrote: »
    if it was me i wouldn't be arsed giving my business to them if that's the case, try shopping around.

OP if you can't afford the extra €300 then you seriously need to stay away from Brittoninsurance. The Voluntary excess with them is something crazy like €4,000 if your in an accident.

Vanbis wrote: »
    OP if you can't afford the extra €300 then you seriously need to stay away from Brittoninsurance. The Voluntary excess with them is something crazy like €4,000 if your in an accident.

Thanks for bringing this attention. But the car is valued at 500 euro, so if anything happens to it, I won't be claiming anyway.

@listermint - will do mate, thanks alot :)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for bringing this attention. But the car is valued at 500 euro, so if anything happens to it, I won't
    be claiming anyway.

Dave

Unless you do substantial damage to someone elses car or property...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

listermint wrote: »
    Shop around OP,

Try First Ireland - Brokers. It will be worth your while.

Agreed, First Ireland are very helpful, and the cheapest around (for me anyway). They even quoted me on an MX-5 and a 2L turbo Fiat Coupe without blinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thanks for bringing this attention. But the car is valued at 500 euro, so if anything happens to it, I won't be claiming anyway.

Dave

LOL, it's not just about your car remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I am open to correction here however, isn't there a 22 day expiry of quotes?

And in order for that quote to expiry earlier than that, would the client not have to formally retract the quote in writing?

OP - I would suggest a quick e-mail to the Central Bank of Ireland regarding this.

It's been some time since I practiced this kind of stuff but I am nearly 52.38% sure that there is a 22 or 21 day expiry on quotes.

Thanks mugsmugs , very helpful.

@LimerickMan, very true, had not thought of that.

First Ireland quoted me 1800 :eek: Good luck to that. :rolleyes:

Will let you all know what comes of this. Am currently awaiting a call back from the manager at Brittion Insurance. I was told at 11 this morning that they were at a call, still haven't heard back.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks mugsmugs , very helpful.

@LimerickMan, very true, had not thought of that.

First Ireland quoted me 1800 :eek: Good luck to that. :rolleyes:

Will let you all know what comes of this. Am currently awaiting a call back from the manager at Brittion Insurance. I was told at 11 this morning that they were at a call, still haven't heard back.

Dave

1800!! on a 1 litre, sorry man. You must have some high claims hanging over your head.

Just had a chat with a colleague of mine.

Quote runs for 30 days.

This is irrespective of it being a broker or not. They are bound to the quote.

Stick on some high heels and stick them into the mud !

Or just stand your ground.

listermint wrote: »
    1800!! on a 1 litre, sorry man. You must have some high claims hanging over your head.

Thank God, no claims. This is first insurance quote, hence high prices I suppose.

Thanks for that info MugsMugs . Everytime I stood my ground I got the " There's nothing we can do , the company quotes expire after the beginning of the new month" speech... Im stumped :(

Dave

Well you could send them a letter of complaint, request a final response and send it all on to these guys

MugMugs wrote: »
    Well you could send them a letter of complaint, request a final response and send it all on to these guys

Surely by the time all of that was done and dusted the quote would definitely have expired...

Im gonna try ringing the central bank of ireland. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for your inputs MugMugs :)

Dave

Just off the phone to central bank of ireland. Told me that if I am unsattisfied about how im being treated I could make a formal complaint. Not really what I'm after, I just want a company to stand by their quotations, not much to ask surely.

Would give Britton Insurance another ring, as they havnt gotten back to me yet, only I have just ran out of credit on my poxy phone. I'll probably end up spending 50 quid of the 300 im saving - If I manage to get the company to come around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MugMugs wrote: »
    Just had a chat with a colleague of mine.

Quote runs for 30 days.

This is irrespective of it being a broker or not. They are bound to the quote.

Stick on some high heels and stick them into the mud !

Or just stand your ground.

Are you sure that's universal though?

• Advertisement

He seems to be dude. :)

Never really dealt with Personal Lines but our PL Manager says that 30 Days is whats required.

I remember I covered it off when I was doing by CIP ages ago. From memory it applies to Brokers and Insurers.

Anyway, a quick e-mail to the CBoI will tell you for sure. They're always pretty quick to respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

1800 for first insurance seems normal, I'm not saying it's a sane price to pay, but it's the norm so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

try different brokers. arachas were very helpful to me with 1st insurance in Ireland for high performance car.

Being honest,

If you can contact an Underwriter and get RTA cover only (very very rare this is given) or just Third Party Only (usually restricted to Islands excluding Achill) then you're better off in a motor costing you €500.

You dont really need the Fire and Theft aspect of the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

An Insurer can withdraw a quotation at any stage before the offer is accepted and a satisfactory proposal is received. The majority do honour quotes accepted within 30 days of issue but they are not obliged to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They sent you a quote that was already expired according to them.
    I smell a rat.
    My guess is that they sent you a nice, juice, entirely fictional quote that they had no attention whatsoever of honoring.
    But, or so they thought, once they had hoicked you in, you might stay aboard, swallow their tripe about the quote being expired and (grudgingly) pony up more dough.
    It's like those dodgy TV auction channels. No one gets an iPod for a fiver, a laptop for 50 and a car for s few hundred, it doesn't happen.
    If that where me I'd be half tempted to stick it to them, in fact, out of sheer principle, you SHOULD stick it to them, you have it in writing, you wipe their faces in it.
    Then they will think twice before trying the old "oh sorry, this quote expired" scam.
    Because this has scam written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Unless you do substantial damage to someone elses car or property...

Excess applies to first-party claims.

Well guys,

Fair play to Britton Insurance for honouring the quote. Got sorted in the end but found out after all of that, they had me down as having a full licence instead of provisional,... My fault in all honesty :( . They now want 1900 because I have a provisional :eek:

Gonna ring around later this evening. Thank you all for your inputs :)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

1900 for a male on learner permit does not sound bad to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

dharn wrote: »
    1900 for a male on learner permit does not sound bad to me

If the OP is intent on driving unaccompanied then the quote isn't half high enough.

OP, get your full licence, first, then worry about insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

Gophur wrote: »
    If the OP is intent on driving unaccompanied then the quote isn't half high enough.

OP, get your full licence, first, then worry about insurance.

Totally agree cheaper insurance and less likely to be involved in an accident in the future so also saving you money long term

Advertisement