Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athenry or Loughrea?

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I am moving up to Galway in a week or two and have to choose between living in Athenry or Loughrea. I am a 28 year old man and do not know anyone in either area so I am wondering which would be more suitable to me.

I would consider the following to be important factors in my decision making: cost and availability of renting/sharing accomodation, friendliness of locals, things to do at night (mostly midweek), facilities, and general ease of living.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why either of these two instead of the city?
    Have you visited them?
    Will you be working? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

biko wrote: »
    Why either of these two instead of the city?
    Have you visited them?
    Will you be working? Where?

I have a nine month work placement. The job is situated between the two, so the city might be far to communte. I have been to Athenry, looks quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ah. Well both are small. For me it would be Athenry but it's a toss-up really.
    Maybe some locals can suggest things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughrea

http://loughrea.galway-ireland.ie/
    http://athenry.galway-ireland.ie/

For accommodation
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=athenry+site%3Awww.daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

i would go with loughrea, worked there few years ago, locals are nice theres a nice lake there for walks, or fishing etc, good shops, places to eat, pubs, nightclub, hotel and have gym and hurlin and soccer clubs too as far as i know, only ever been thro athenry but seems a bit all over the shop wit mix of old and new and would be good bit smaller than loughrea. defo go for loughrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Athenry is good for a lot of things, lived there for the last 10 years,
    it's got more shops and bars, i'd say it's bigger than Loughrea, closer to the city,
    Athenry Would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Al0502

Both towns have a lot going for them.
    Loughrea is the bigger town asnd pretty good for shopping and has many local amenities including the local lake for swimming / fishing etc.
    Athenry is closer to Galway city only about 15 mins away and also seems to have plenty to do and see.
    Why don't you go and visit both as they are only about 15 minutes apart using the M6 motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

I live half way between both and nearly always head to Loughrea. The lake is a great amenity...loads of clubs and societies, loads of fairly decent pubs and two nightclubs. http://www.loughreaonline.com/whats-on.php two facebook pages Loughrea Town and Loughrea Online.

Aldi and Supervalu in Loughrea, side by side. A good few new places to eat have opened there this year. Martin Fahy Menswear, stock stuff like Jack and Jones, Quicksilver but also suits etc ...accommodation wise they will be fairly similar in terms of availability and price. Its made very easy now with the link road to the moterway in less than 10mins.
    Best of luck with either decision and the placement...If i had to choose i would go with Loughrea...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have a nine month work placement.

Is it one of the unpaid wpp type things? In which case you'll also be looking for a paying job still. I'd go for the one that's closer to the city, which is where you'll most likely find job.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Loughrea is bigger but Athenry is closer to Galway and has the train.

I live in Athenry and find everyone very friendly. As regards facilities, they both have plenty of shops, pubs and bookies; like every Irish town of a certain size.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I am moving up to Galway in a week or two and have to choose between living in Athenry or Loughrea. I am a 28 year old man and do not know anyone in either area so I am wondering which would be more suitable to me.

I would consider the following to be important factors in my decision making: cost and availability of renting/sharing accomodation, friendliness of locals, things to do at night (mostly midweek), facilities, and general ease of living.

Any opinions are appreciated.

I'm from Douglas myself and have been living in the Gort area for the past number of years, if you're like me and intend to travel up and down to Cork as you do for visiting family and the like then Loughrea might be more suitable for your commute.

I also think that Loughrea would have more to offer as it would be a bit bigger than Athenry. But Athenry would be great as it would be that bit nearer the City, so it depends on what way you choose to work it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 grumpy old man

I would go with Athenry - simply because of easier late night transport to Galway

http://www.farrelltravel.ie/services/nightlink/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BelindaL

Hey, I live in Loughrea (not a local!) moved there because rent was cheaper than Galway. Work in Galway and the motorway is a god send. Been in Athenry heaps of time, work and pleasure. Nice town but small.

Loughrea is a busy town, plenty to do and is quite friendly. better night life than athenry, more places to eat, more variety of shops, plenty of sports clubs and the people are nice too. Lake is beautiful and lovely countryside. Plus if your ever sick of heading into Galway, Athlone is only 40min on the motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I don't envy your choices. Loughrea has the lake and I think that's a massive incentive. It's slightly larger and because it's farther from Galway city it would have more reasons not to 'head into town'.

I live in Athenry. I've only been there since April. It's got a cracking trad session in 'The Feilds' on Thursday nights that's very 'open' (free sambos and sausages served too!), it kicks off about 10pm. It's got about four really decent restaurants and two really fantastic café's. The Raheen woods hotel always has entertainments going on. It seems to be where every big gig is on in the area. It's got GAA games going on every weekend in it's little stadium. I've found the people very friendly. I have, yet, to go to vinyl night on the first Monday of every month in one of the local pubs.

I didn't go to much in their festival this year but I did catch a gig. It was grand. I remember years ago it was really terrific but it attracted some trouble from 'out of town' so they play the festival down a little now.

That's what I've found out so far!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Worked in both Athenry and Loughrea in the past and would definitely choose Loughrea over Athenry. Its a nice spot with plenty of well finished estates and a fine lake aswell to go for walks along. Loughrea is also much handier town if your travelling to Dublin, Limerick, Cork etc too (easier access to the motorway).

I found there was much more of a small town mentality around Athenry (small narrow minded people interested in everyone else's business). Found the roads to be a disgrace too with all the Quarry trucks passing through them everyday ruining them (this was the case a few years ago so things may have changed by now). The town was planned very poorly also, the streets are all over the place and its a nightmare to drive around or even walk for that matter.

The only thing in my opinion that Athenry has over Loughrea is that its closer to Galway city but not close enough to warrant moving there over Loughrea. If you drive it will make hardly any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Greaney wrote: »
    I have, yet, to go to vinyl night on the first Monday of every month in one of the local pubs.

What pub is this in? A Dj night is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Loughrea is also much handier town if your travelling to Dublin, Limerick, Cork etc too (easier access to the motorway).

Athenry has it's won motorway exit whereas you have to drive 5 miles from Loughrea to get to the Motorway :confused:
    leonidas83 wrote: »
    I found there was much more of a small town mentality around Athenry (small narrow minded people interested in everyone else's business). Found the roads to be a disgrace too with all the Quarry trucks passing through them everyday ruining them (this was the case a few years ago so things may have changed by now). The town was planned very poorly also, the streets are all over the place and its a nightmare to drive around or even walk for that matter.

Jaysus that's real nitpicking there, the trucks were there while the motorway was being built, they're all gone now and the roads have been repaired. As for the town being very poorly planned - I have a feeling it was planned when horses were the main mode of transport hence the narrow twisty lanes. It is a medieval heritage town i.e very, very old. Having lived there I really don't see what problems you encountered walking around it
    dantbyhid wrote: »
    What pub is this in? A Dj night is it?

I think it might be the hop inn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Bring yer own Vinyl is on in J Glynns.

I find it hilarious that Athenry was found to be badly planned. It was 'designed' when folk threw the contents of their privy out the window!!

As for small minded small town.... You can say that about any small town! I've had my mate, who loves living in Loughrea, describe it as having a small town mentality... the only people who have to worry about the gossip are the local drug dealers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Greaney wrote: »
    Bring yer own Vinyl is on in J Glynns.

First I knew about it and I was living in Athenry over a year, Just moved out last week :confused:

It's no fun having records and no record player

Advertisement