Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

weanlings coughing

• 15-09-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭

hi . bought a couple of bull weanling calves . i have them out on a bit of grass which is wet/rushy in places but dry / sheltery in others (where they ususlly lie). anyway they have a slight cough. im goin to dose them for worms with clostamectin and put them on fresh grass. should i call the vet to inject them for a cold ( to prevent pneumonia from developing ) or is the cough from lungworm . i realise most here arent vets but advice would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Dose and watch them closely. If concerned ask your vets for CTC powder which can be given in meal- rough and ready approach that works.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NedTheBull

cjmc wrote: »
    ( to prevent pneumonia from developing )

Prevention is better then cure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Are you giving them some meal?
    Meal keeps them good and warm this time of year. Helps them fight off any infection. Feed value of grass goes down a lot at this time of year, especially when wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

greysides wrote: »
    Dose and watch them closely. If concerned ask your vets for CTC powder which can be given in meal- rough and ready approach that works.
    be careful what ys say , i suggested that a few weeks ago on here and got a little telling off:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hi . bought a couple of bull weanling calves . i have them out on a bit of grass which is wet/rushy in places but dry / sheltery in others (where they ususlly lie). anyway they have a slight cough. im goin to dose them for worms with clostamectin and put them on fresh grass. should i call the vet to inject them for a cold ( to prevent pneumonia from developing ) or is the cough from lungworm . i realise most here arent vets but advice would be great
    did you dose them when you bought them? normal practice would be to dose the cattle as soon as they arrive on your holding as you dont know if the previous owner has done them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

whelan1 wrote: »
    did you dose them when you bought them? normal practice would be to dose the cattle as soon as they arrive on your holding as you dont know if the previous owner has done them

Have to disagree with dosing as soon as arrive. Better to give them week or 10 days to settle. If u dose straight away u add stress to an already stressed animal there by increasing chance of picking up something as defenses are down

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

adne wrote: »
    Have to disagree with dosing as soon as arrive. Better to give them week or 10 days to settle. If u dose straight away u add stress to an already stressed animal there by increasing chance of picking up something as defenses are down

I see where you're coming from but if they're stressed on arrival running them up a crush and using a pour-on isn't going to make a major difference and will avoid re-stressing them again later.

However, maybe it's a decision best made with the animals in front of you.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

adne wrote: »

I see where you're coming from but if they're stressed on arrival running them up a crush and using a pour-on isn't going to make a major difference and will avoid re-stressing them again later.

Each to their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

pouring the dose on their back is the least of the stress

the problem is when they are trying to clean the dead worms, eggs etc from their system , if they have a virus which is most likely you are adding fuel to the fire

surprised no body suggested checking their temperature and listening to their breathing which would be my first call

but then I am not a vet,

certainly before using ctc and dosing again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Do they not recommend giving one of the slow acting wormers to minimse the stress of coughing up the worms. These have to be given orally though, which doesnt help either.

Having a few older cows with them helps them settle too.

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »

the problem is when they are trying to clean the dead worms, eggs etc from their system , if they have a virus which is most likely you are adding fuel to the fire

surprised no body suggested checking their temperature and listening to their breathing which would be my first call .............certainly before using ctc and dosing again

In this scenario (below) what would you do?

The 'vet option' is being considered but not decided on/trying to be avoided.

bought a couple of bull weanling calves . i have them out on a bit of grass which is wet/rushy in places but dry / sheltery in others (where they ususlly lie). anyway they have a slight cough

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

sorry ,i couldnt reply till now. dosed them for worms and blackleg on thursday, its now monday. checked temp and it seemed fine. both still have a cough and one seems a bit listless and off its nuts. it had a discharge from one nostril but it seems to have cleared up though it might just have licked it clean. no watery scour. was going to redose them for worms and move them to a different bit of ground . should i give a antibiotic when i have them in the crush . i have no pour on left and its dear so is there a good oral or injection to reconmend for worms

I don't think there's any point redosing them but I would avail of the chance to give them a long-acting antibiotic.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- contact your local vet for advice on this. We cannot offer veterinary advice or guidance on this forum- we can by all means discuss our own experiences- however the sort of blanket advice being offered here, is deeply worrying. Contact your local vet.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement