Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's new in Mobile Web Development ??

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Have an interview coming up for ICT lecturer in an Inst Tech.

Presentation is on:
    'How I would teach mobile web design and development. What are the technologies / issue involved?'

Any tips on the presentation ?

What should I mention?

PhoneGap / Acccelerator/HTML5 v iOS / Android SDKs?
    Native Apps v Mobile Browser?
    Different devices Apple / android - tablet / phone?
    Windows Phone?
    Windows 8??

Zip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Do you have an outline of what other modules are part of the computing courses that the mobile dev will be offered to?

Be a good pointer to see what the students are learning in the course, Java? C++? What web technologies? Have they a normal web design class where they learn about the basics of web design?

Do they want a theory based or practical based course?

Designing and coding a native application versus designing and coding a website designed for mobile devices would be a good start.I'm not sure things like PhoneGap and accelerator have a place in an educational environment though, much better to go with learning how to build an application properly in my opinion.

You should throw in some stuff about how different it is designing an app for a mobile device as compared to designing something for a PC, for instance you need to design something that a user can quickly access, use and be finished with in a short period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Probably too late to be of use to you, however, how I would likely cover such a course is:
    • History of mobile technologies: Analogue/GSM, WAP, PSMS, MMS, xHTML, Smartphones. For mobile Web (WAP, xHTML, etc) you'll also want to touch on the history of Internet applications also.
    • The three basic technology categories: Mobile Web, push messaging, device OS's and apps. Examination of how they're used and who uses them.
    • Specific technologies associated with these categories: SMS, MMS, iOS, HTML, Android, Blackberry, WP7, etc.
    • Spin-off technologies/platforms (e.g. app markets) and future trends (e.g. tablets and ubiquitous computing).
    There are various ways you could plan a course on the above, but I would use a historical time-line to introduce each - either by first covering the history of all three basic technology categories or split them up and deal with each individually by introducing them via their historical development to their modern iterations.

The scope of such a course naturally would mean that there will be limits to how in-depth you'll get on mobile web design and development with every technology, but it would be important still to have a basic understanding of how they all relate to each other.

Finally, you would want to choose, say, two such technologies for more in depth and practical use, culminating in an example solution such as how to build a simple mobile Web site and a simple Android (or iOS) app - ideally that employ database-driven content and connection to the Internet respectively (or better still, the same solution that simply uses either a mobile Web or app client).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Probably too late to be of use to you, however, how I would likely cover such a course is:
    • History of mobile technologies: Analogue/GSM, WAP, PSMS, MMS, xHTML, Smartphones. For mobile Web (WAP, xHTML, etc) you'll also want to touch on the history of Internet applications also.
    • The three basic technology categories: Mobile Web, push messaging, device OS's and apps. Examination of how they're used and who uses them.
    • Specific technologies associated with these categories: SMS, MMS, iOS, HTML, Android, Blackberry, WP7, etc.
    • Spin-off technologies/platforms (e.g. app markets) and future trends (e.g. tablets and ubiquitous computing).
    There are various ways you could plan a course on the above, but I would use a historical time-line to introduce each - either by first covering the history of all three basic technology categories or split them up and deal with each individually by introducing them via their historical development to their modern iterations.

The scope of such a course naturally would mean that there will be limits to how in-depth you'll get on mobile web design and development with every technology, but it would be important still to have a basic understanding of how they all relate to each other.

Finally, you would want to choose, say, two such technologies for more in depth and practical use, culminating in an example solution such as how to build a simple mobile Web site and a simple Android (or iOS) app - ideally that employ database-driven content and connection to the Internet respectively (or better still, the same solution that simply uses either a mobile Web or app client).

Wow thats a fab reply...too late but a fab reply lol

Thanks for that ..very informative....

Advertisement