Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickens

• 15-09-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Would anyone know where I could get chickens in the South Dublin area? I am in the process of building a coop and I would like to get some over the next two weeks or so. I will be keeping them for eggs. This is my first time keeping chickens so any friendly advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Try Irish fowl or poultry.Ie
    It will depend on what you are looking for, particular breeds or hybrids. On both site you can put up a wanted add for free too.

Hybrids are great Layers. There are so many breeds and cross breeds so do your research first and then look for a place to get them. Most of the time I find I have to travel for what I want. We drove from Westmeath to Tyrone to pick up a trio of aracauna's as we couldn't locate any closer to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Try Irish fowl or poultry.Ie
    It will depend on what you are looking for, particular breeds or hybrids. On both site you can put up a wanted add for free too.

Hybrids are great Layers. There are so many breeds and cross breeds so do your research first and then look for a place to get them. Most of the time I find I have to travel for what I want. We drove from Westmeath to Tyrone to pick up a trio of aracauna's as we couldn't locate any closer to us.

Thanks! Do you spend time choosing for aesthetics or just the quality of the egg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have you thought re rehoming ex-battery hens? They lay well and are great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have you thought re rehoming ex-battery hens? They lay well and are great fun.

I have - and we would, can you tell me how I can go about getting them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

engrish? wrote: »
    I have - and we would, can you tell me how I can go about getting them?

You need to find where there is a battery unit near you.. Golden pages or maybe a pet rescue will know. Call them and ask when they are next ... throwing out.. sorry; the right word escapes me! Restocking???:confused:

Once you get the contact with one unit, they will know of others. I am in West Cork and would know who to ask here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

On pets Ireland forum there was someone a while back looking for homes for ex batts. Try there maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The poultry section of Donedeal.ie is where I'd suggest you start. I get my chickens and turkeys from Tighes of Strokestown in Roscommon, but that might be a bit far for you.

I recommend ISA-brown hens because they are hardy, good layers and disease resistant.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh there should be someone on Petireland who can put you in the right direction, ex batteries are lovely they need some TLC but lay really well.
    Yonks ago I transported 31 one of them and they laid eggs along the way.
    Perhaps deal with a rescue that takes in battery hens they might of had the hens a while and can tell you which ones are good layers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I can pm you the name of a rescue that rehomes ex-battery hens if you want. Don't think I'm allowed link to rescues anymore

Advertisement