Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Poppadom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah it is, in the Cornmarket Square building across from Angel Lane. Makes me think twice about going there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If he was working 77 hours a week on 4.46 per hour for one year and then 6.25 per hour for nearly 3 years he must have saved up some amount of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah it is, in the Cornmarket Square building across from Angel Lane. Makes me think twice about going there again.

Personally I hope the local media pick up on it and run something. Will never go near that place again. Hate people that exploit others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Oh... I have a voucher for the Poppadom in Limerick.

I'm still going to use it. It's been paid for, so if I don't then they made €50 at zero cost to them... I might as well get some food out of it.

This is deeply unpleasant news though... I wonder how much the lads in Limerick knew about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

amiable wrote: »
    If he was working 77 hours a week on 4.46 per hour for one year and then 6.25 per hour for nearly 3 years he must have saved up some amount of money

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

That owner should at least be jailed for what he did.

It's one thing breaching employment legislation but it's another to exploit someones human rights. That man trafficked another human being into this country and used him as a slave, and to think he was coming here to legitimatley provide a better life for his wife and children back home.

Shameful!

Treating somebody as badly as he did is unforgiveable and deserves nothing less than a prison sentence.

@ Burning Eclipse - I'd take the voucher and buy as many bottles of Tiger Beer as I could from it and leave. I wouldn't eat there again, never!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think the restaurant in Limerick opened several years after the events of this case took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

- from the article:

Mr Hussein even ....auction in 2001.

He also flirted with politics, supporting his friend businessman Shaheen Ahmed in his bid to get elected for Fianna Fail in the last local elections in South Dublin County Council.

For that reason alone I'll stay well out of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Is Poppadom a franchise operation, does anybody know? If so, the Limerick one might not be all that connected with the Dublin one.

Saying that, I remember around the time of the Turkish Gama road construction workers being underpaid it was being bandied about in the media that Ireland had more dog licence inspectors than labour rights inspectors, and I'm not all too sure if that situation has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Is Poppadom a franchise operation, does anybody know? If so, the Limerick one might not be all that connected with the Dublin one.

Saying that, I remember around the time of the Turkish Gama road construction workers being underpaid it was being bandied about in the media that Ireland had more dog licence inspectors than labour rights inspectors, and I'm not all too sure if that situation has changed.
    no there is no franchise...Only thing I would like to say is whoever gets caught is a thief,,plenty of them around..as mentioned by a bordie here, it doesnt make any differance you boycott them or not...how many are u going to boycott..indian, chinese, kebabs...list is endless even I know a famous pizza chain underpaying their employees and they work overtime from at least 5 years as far as I know (60 hours a week and one off a week). they are underpaid almost 20% less than NMW...and not to mention no holiday pay or holidays...so many just keep their mouth shut cos they have no choice..It makes me emotional so will give up writing more..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think the restaurant in Limerick opened several years after the events of this case took place.

Jeez, we're trying to get a mob going here, less of your facts.

Same guy owns the Limerick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mob_simpsons_217.jpg

I prefer my mob

angry_mob-13.gif?w=800&h=491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

surely we should be a mob of cowboys if we're going to lynch an indian?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

As long as Indira & The Mughal are above board im happy.

As long as Indira & The Mughal are above board im happy.
    Where is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

amiable wrote: »
    Where is that?

Corner of Henry Street and Sarsfield Street, overhead the old Benetton shop.

Corner of Henry Street and Sarsfield Street, overhead the old Benetton shop.
    That's the Mogul Emperor

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Ha, me and my brutal spelling. My fave indian in Limerick. The smell of grub as you walk up the stairs to it would nearly give you a horn its so nice.

• Advertisement

Ha, me and my brutal spelling. My fave indian in Limerick. The smell of grub as you walk up the stairs to it would nearly give you a horn its so nice.
    It's owned by a really nice family too

zuroph wrote: »
    surely we should be a mob of cowboys if we're going to lynch an indian?

If we are talking about an Indian then the mob should really be in 19th century British army uniforms.:p

Cowboy mobs are only used againt Native Americans and Mexicans. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There was an article in Yesterdays sunday times - he hasn't been paid anything and there is going to be a protest at the clondalkin branch calling for a boycott

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The smell of grub as you walk up the stairs to it would nearly give you a horn its so nice.

Now there's a Limk expression.......:D

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

I worked in <mod snip> and I can say ..animals are treated better ,
    If only people knew what they are really like ...scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hi soprano123 ive had to edit out the name of the establishment. If you have issues with how you were treated as a staff member i suggest taking them up through the appropriate channels

apparently they're gonna cover this on Primetime tonight

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I propose that anyone who feels that Poppadom deserves their just deserts should ring them and order food. A lot of food preferably and do this night after night from blocked and varying numbers.

- Thats it, let them sit there looking at it mature and cool as nobody picks it up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Can anyone let me know what happened with Poppadom as I eat here a lot and love their food, excellent Indian and a nice bunch of staff there, best nan bread in Limerick and good prices on take aways........please let me know???????

• Advertisement

Can anyone let me know what happened with Poppadom as I eat here a lot and love their food, excellent Indian and a nice bunch of staff there, best nan bread in Limerick and good prices on take aways........please let me know???????

It's in the original post - basically the Poppadom restaurant in Dublin had a worker who was working nearly 80 hours a week for 50 cent an hour. He was treated like a slave. he won over 90 grand in the labour court and has received nothing.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement