Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to give up my one parent family payment and rent allow to let partner to move in

Options
  • 15-09-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all
    I am currently on rent allowance and one parent family payment, i have 2 children and me and the kids dad want to move in together.
    He is in full time employment and earns 508e a week. I have rang citizens advice to see how much jobseekers allowance i would be entitled to and it would be around 80e pw. And to add to that we will not be entitled to any rent allowance at all.. So we will be bringing in 588 pw our rent is 263 pw and shopping and household bills come to about 250pw that is not including petrol tax and insurance etc. thats 513e pw. My partner has some debts which he is now repaying 50e weekly. I feel stuck in this situation and dont know what to do i cant believe they do not take into consideration your outgoings when applying for jobseekers. I am looking for work at the moment but will probably be worse off havin to pay for childminders. I really dont know what to do and where do i start on getting of one parent and rent allowance. Who do i contact to say my circumstances have changed?? Any help will be great!!
    Thanks

Comments

If your partner works over 19 hours per week, he should consider claiming Family Income Supplement instead. The limit for a family with 2 children is €602 per week and he would receive 60% of the difference between what he earns, and the cut off point.

This may turn out to be a better choice for you, than Job Seekers as

(a) its doesn't come with a "must be seeking full time work" eligibility condition
    (b) It is not *taxable income
    (c) Is not assessible as means towards a Medical Card or for BTSCFA

HTH.

(*JSB is taxable income, JSA is not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 skyeeye

Thanks loueze,
    he can still claim fis with me getting the 80e ja and they have said we will be entitled to a medical card as our outgoings rent etc are taken into consideration i cant understand why they dont take outgoings into consideration when applying for ja. They said he will get around 20e from fis. I am so worried about coming off the rent allowance as we will deffinetly be struggling.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How much Child Benefit do you get?

Could you shop more economically - 250 p/w for 4 people sounds very high.

I'd actually go in to your local SW and ask about submitting applications for both payments, with them cross-referencing each other..... or ask them to calculate your JSA eligibility before committing to claiming to JSA (as JSA will be means tested against your partner's income, and might be lower than €80).

They have an obligation to advise you which option will give the best financial outcome for your family.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

JustMary wrote: »
    How much Child Benefit do you get?

Could you shop more economically - 250 p/w for 4 people sounds very high.

I think she is including gas and esb in that.

I know a few people in this situation but there really isnt a way out as far as I can see. Classic poverty trap. If you were working it would solve all the problems but childminding is the problem. Maybe an aupair if you have a spare room? (assuming you can find work at the moment) Rent a spare room out to students could be another option.

Long term I would love to see subsidised childcare in Ireland. I honestly believe it would reduce the welfare bill dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I'd actually go in to your local SW and ask about submitting applications for both payments, with them cross-referencing each other..... or ask them to calculate your JSA eligibility before committing to claiming to JSA (as JSA will be means tested against your partner's income, and might be lower than €80).

They have an obligation to advise you which option will give the best financial outcome for your family.

Good luck.

In order for OP to have her eligibility assessed she will have to apply for jobseekers allowance which takes quite a while to be processed due to the volume of claims received. You cannot just go into you sw office and ask them there and then to calculate your eligibility for jobseekers allowance... there are other people waiting for jsa means testing ahead of you and it is impossible to advise which option will be the best financial outcome until means result from jsa is processed.

Maybe they don't do it any more due to pressure, but they certainly used too.

In that case, then the OP could try to use the guidelines and worksheets HERE to calculate exactly how much JSA or FIS she would receive and which payment would work out best for her particular circumstances.

Advertisement