Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Biscuit Cake Help please

Options
  • 15-09-2011 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I have just made a tiffin cake for a birthday tomorrow
    I made it as usual, butter choc and syrup with biscuits and the rest of it
    Now its in the tin
    BUT it seems to have split, its quite oily
    Is this normal??
    Will it come out ok ??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

No, it is not normal. The problem could be either in the quality of chocolate (too little cocoa mass & butter content, which are replased by palm oil) or the butter you were using.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

I always do a full line of my loaf tin with greaseproof paper, leaving a big bit either side to lift it out with.

I also add a couple of bags of maltesers (:D) into the mixture for extra scrum diddly umptiousness!

Hope you get it out of the tin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭JackN688

to dream c, tesco organic butter, milka alpine choc (mind you that could be it ) :P...however it has come out fine, there is a little solidified oil on the top but i can take it off, its perfect all the way through

to groom, i lined it with cling film, i got two tins out of the mix :)
    i have maltesers, gummy bears, mini marshmallows and some chopped nuts in mine, and quite a selection of different biscuits,..its so worth it and bulks it up so you have more :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Milka chocolate is just milk chocolate right? If so there might be too little cocoa mass in it, for CBC darker chocolates should be used, 60-75% mixed with milk chocolate is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bella07

Hi would someone kindly have the receipe for Choc biscuit Cake please ... and how long does it stay fresh for ? I am interested in making cakes and decorating for birthdays :pac: :pac: thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lizzybradbury

Bella07 wrote: »
    Hi would someone kindly have the receipe for Choc biscuit Cake please ... and how long does it stay fresh for ? I am interested in making cakes and decorating for birthdays :pac: :pac: thank you

Ditto people - Can I have the recipe too? Sounds scrummy from the descriptions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

My tried and tested recipe.

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

400g digestive biscuits 175g plain butter
    4 tbsp golden syrup 4 tbsp cocoa
    100g Bournville chocolate

Traditionally this cake would have been made using leftover broken biscuits and crumbs, but who can wait for them to build up and, anyway, you shouldn't be buying that many ready-made biscuits!

Melt the butter and syrup together in a large saucepan. The add the cocoa and stir until smooth. Break the biscuits into small pieces and stir them into the mixture. Pour into a prepared (lined and greased) loaf tin and press down with the back of a spoon.

Melt the chocolate over a very low heat before applying evenly to top of the cake. Place in the fridge as soon as cool and leave there for a minimum of 2/3 hours before eating. Best kept stored in the fridge.

Milk chocolate is a disaster!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lizzybradbury

My tried and tested recipe.

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

400g digestive biscuits 175g plain butter
    4 tbsp golden syrup 4 tbsp cocoa
    100g Bournville chocolate

Traditionally this cake....

You are an absolute star - Thank you! :D

Bella07 wrote: »

Thank you Judgement Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Oh no,

Cocoa, margarine, caster sugar, eggs and rich tea, it has to be rich tea :D

• Advertisement

Oh no,

Margarine? God no, needs real butter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

And Rich Tea are a NO, NO!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

And Maltesers are a must.

Tried the Choc Biscuit cake and with Malteers delicious :p thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh no,

I genuinely can't imagine what this cake would turn out like, is it a cooked chocolate biscuit cake or how do the eggs get used in it?

Acoshla wrote: »
    Margarine? God no, needs real butter!

Pardon my busy typing, it is, of course, real butter not margarine!!!!
    I genuinely can't imagine what this cake would turn out like, is it a cooked chocolate biscuit cake or how do the eggs get used in it?

Basically melt the butter and sugar, add the cocoa.
    Then remove from the heat and stir in the eggs and you have a lovely glossy chocolate sauce. Then stir in the broken rich teas and press into cake mould.

Its lovely. Although i'd say maltesers would be a good add in fairness.

I have heard of eggs in Chocolate Biscuit Cake before; I think it gives it a bit of a different texture...

I wouldn't be making the above version of a CBC though!

Dont knock it til youve tried it....!!
    My grandma used to make it so i am biased.
    Its so bad for you though!!!

Ive never seen digestives in a biscuit cake, but sure then, if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I have heard of eggs in Chocolate Biscuit Cake before; I think it gives it a bit of a different texture...

It makes the best chocolate biscuit cake ever. You just have to be very careful because you are adding raw eggs to a fairly hot mixture and you don't want to end up with scrambled eggs.

Yeah, until you get the nack, its very easy to end up with chocolate scrambled eggs in your biscuit cake which is obviously absolutely disgusting.

Gonna make one later with a few maltesers in it.
    Would i crush them or add them whole?

• Advertisement

Yeah, until you get the nack, its very easy to end up with chocolate scrambled eggs in your biscuit cake which is obviously absolutely disgusting.

Whole. Or you could crush some – but only some!

And don't forget a pic :)

Ive never seen digestives in a biscuit cake, but sure then, if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place.

Digestives are used because they're salty and salty tastes good with chocolate.

Add them whole, the whole point (pardon the pun) of Maltesers in CBC is that you see the circles when you cut it so crushing won't do much good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Maltesers must be added whole, otherwise the universe will implode.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When the notion takes me I add some mini-marshmallows as well.

Technically then it's Rocky Road :)

Definitely. Snickers is good too.

Acoshla wrote: »
    Digestives are used because they're salty and salty tastes good with chocolate.

So are rich tea.

Im intrigued with the snickers idea too, how would you add that in? Just dice up little cubes or melt it a bit or what?

Just chop it up. The salty, crunchy, nutty, caramel-y bits are lovely in it.

Definitely don't melt it.

Just chop it up. The salty, crunchy, nutty, caramel-y bits are lovely in it.

God that sounds good!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

must try this - OH loves it, but its the one thing that evades me, I never seem to get a consistent chocolatey texture - mine looks more like i've made rice crispy buns with biscuits:o

Advertisement