Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining a new socket from an existing one.

• 15-09-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭

Can you take power from a existing socket to bring power to a new one ratter than bringing it straight from the meter box. They wont be used at the same time or every often so no fear of a over loaded. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

It can be done although sometimes it's often easier to just run a new supply. Always a good idea to get a sparks to this work if you are unsure what you are doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pie Man wrote: »
    Can you take power from a existing socket to bring power to a new one ratter than bringing it straight from the meter box. They wont be used at the same time or every often so no fear of a over loaded. Thanks

Yes you can.

The max amount of double sockets on a circuit is 10,anymore and you will trip things out.

2.5 twin and earth is what you need.

A good stanley knife and a wire stripers or snips.

Allways turn off the power at the mains fuseboard.

Make sure you get a green earth tube and place a bit of it on the bare earth wire too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yes you can.

The max amount of double sockets on a circuit is 10,anymore and you will trip things out.

Make sure you get a green earth tube and place a bit of it on the bare earth wire too.

10 is the limit on a radial circuit. You can have as many as you like on a ring circuit provided the area served is not greater that 100 square metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yes you can.

Thanks for the replies.
    2x2.5/1.5SQMM 300/500v is what the shopkeep gave me, I have one double done and it's working, I've just one more to do I possum I can bring it from the new socket can I.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pie Man wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    2x2.5/1.5SQMM 300/500v is what the shopkeep gave me, I have one double done and it's working, I've just one more to do I possum I can bring it from the new socket can I.

Thats the stuff and yes.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement