Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitor rang me to find out prices

Options
  • 15-09-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

So yesterday I got a hidden number phonecall (from a competitor (well he likes to think so anyway :) )) looking for prices of various bits and pieces. I was suspicious and asked more questions, but got uncertain answers and asked for an email to send a quote to, he said he would email me instead, wouldn't give a number and at the end when I asked for a name he struggled to think of one for a few seconds!
    I grinned for a while as I'm 95% certain who is was. I got an email later from a hotmail address and again, I'm 95% certain it's a made up address. The name on the email is very unlikely is all I'll say :D.

So anyways, what would you reply? High prices? Rediculously low Prices?
    Subscribe the email to some dodgy site? :D I'm all ears...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

SQ2 wrote: »
    So yesterday I got a hidden number phonecall (from a competitor (well he likes to think so anyway :) )) looking for prices of various bits and pieces. I was suspicious and asked more questions, but got uncertain answers and asked for an email to send a quote to, he said he would email me instead, wouldn't give a number and at the end when I asked for a name he struggled to think of one for a few seconds!
    I grinned for a while as I'm 95% certain who is was. I got an email later from a hotmail address and again, I'm 95% certain it's a made up address. The name on the email is very unlikely is all I'll say :D.

Kill him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So yesterday I got a hidden number phonecall

Don't answer private numbers, I won't answer any calls from private numbers, you only get wind up merchants like you just did. I wouldn't even waste my time quoting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I completely agree with the hidden number thing. You wouldn't answer the door to someone in a balaclava!
    But some number's are hidden by work switchboards and what not, so you have to take them, or else possibly miss out on a job.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I hate when people that don't answer private numbers & numbers they don't know. Pain of my life is having customers complain that they didn't receive a delivery because they didn't recognize a couriers number so wouldn't answer. If you don't want calls from people you don't know don't give out your number [:mad: Rant over :rolleyes:].

I think you handled it well in terms of not quoting for a job that doesn't exist, but I wouldn't focus so much of your energy on your competition. So I'd delete the email or if you really must rub him up, say thanks for the job offer but we're really really busy and can't take on any new clients at the moment - I suggest you try "give name & number of suspect", maybe follow with a compliment about his work if true. :cool:

If things are quiet enough for him to be calling you then this is the worst thing he / she could possibly hear.

Good call Ronan, I was thinking of doing that either and passing him on, but wanted to get a concensus on it. He's more worried about me than I am of him by the look of it anyways.

Just re the private number there is one person that calls me on a private number from one of my suppliers. She's an accounts person and I've asked her to just leave a message with the amount she's looking for in future but she leaves a call me back message. A small thing but it annoys me no end. I know she wants just wants to nail me to a payment date! So I don't answer those on my mobile because of HER! Call me petty!:o
    If I do happen to genuinely miss a call from a private and its a courier, why the fkuc don't they just leave a message to call them! THAT annoys me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

there is one person that calls me on a private number from one of my suppliers. She's an accounts person and I've asked her to just leave a message with the amount she's looking for in future but she leaves a call me back message. A small thing but it annoys me no end. I know she wants just wants to nail me to a payment date! So I don't answer those on my mobile because of HER! Call me petty!:o
    If I do happen to genuinely miss a call from a private and its a courier, why the fkuc don't they just leave a message to call them! THAT annoys me :mad:

1. Set up an email with accounts@ domain and tell her thats the person that deals with accounts and payments from now on only, when she calls you offer to email them on her behalf until she gets the message. Create a rule in your inbox to batch these, but make it very easy for them to get solutions this way. Otherwise it can be terribly inefficient.

2. Couriers and Messages, Ah couriers hate that one too. See they leave a message and have to keep on following their route. By the time a prospect calls back they maybe out of the area and the person, who's in a rush for their package is furious that they won't drop everything and don't understand how important the dog food etc is. 30 minute argument insues and next thing I'm kicking ass to his boss because the poor chap was accused of being rude to a customer. One bad experience like this and it ruins it for the rest of us. Worst part is both people are in the right so it creates a loose loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Hi,
    Just read the various posts. You'd never know it may have been a potential sale, so treat him as such. Do send him an e-mail with your average prices and mention that you can review if order/service is firmed up.

Send it at an ungodly hour and apologize for the delay stating that you've been busy!

Don't waste another minute treating all blocked numbers with mumbling callers as the competition snooping.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Hey look .. just send him the prices.

If your that confident about your business and how u conduct it you shouldnt be worried about sending your competitors your prices ffs..
    It isnt exactly hard to find out your prices so why make it hard. He.s doing market research and im surprised your getting ratty about him doing it.
    It goes on in business daily.. focus more on what u do well and how u can improve your customers experience with you than thinking of ways to **** your competitor over..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i agree

send the prices

you should be doing the same. you need to know your around the right market prices too

if your prices are way about the normal market rate then you need to know this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

As The Apprentice says - just send the prices, but if you're fairly certain this is a competitor, don't give any customer friendly mail or any other info. - Just the prices and that's it.

I have same situation and they are so bloodly obvious - for one such lurker that i recognised, I gave her a printed copy for her records (she was so red faced)

Customer Service wins hands down these days (assuming most competitors are similar prices) Offer more in customer service than any competitor could possibly offer and you will thrive. (I've added 8 staff this year so far using this philosophy - not bad considering we were a start-up last year with just 4!)

Here's a few ideas
    Customer evenings, loyalty cards, thowing in a little something after the sale has been made (might be something you got on clearance - but customer won't care), giftwrapping, having an interest in the customer themselves and creating a happy atmosphere (treat staff well) and finally ALWAYS being positive. (there's enough negativity in papers and radio & tv to last a lifetime & not everyone is in a bad way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Customer evenings, loyalty cards, thowing in a little something after the sale has been made (might be something you got on clearance - but customer won't care), giftwrapping, having an interest in the customer themselves and creating a happy atmosphere (treat staff well) and finally ALWAYS being positive. (there's enough negativity in papers and radio & tv to last a lifetime & not everyone is in a bad way)[/QUOTE]

just to add i recently ordered something from a dublin based website who were unable to meet their stated delivery time. I got 3 very apologetic emails and a little freebie thrown in after. The delivery wasnt particularly urgent so i was delighted with their service. Would definitely use them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Don't answer private numbers, I won't answer any calls from private numbers, you only get wind up merchants like you just did. I wouldn't even waste my time quoting him.

I don't know how you can recommend this, and be running a business. If I had that policy towards my work phone, I'd lose a lot of business. Customers calling from a work landline at their office, these numbers are often blocked, I know, I don't agree with organisations blocking their numbers, I think it's rude or stupid but at the end of the day, you don't know who is at the other end of the phone until you answer it...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

1. Set up an email with accounts@ domain and tell her thats the person that deals with accounts and payments from now on only, when she calls you offer to email them on her behalf until she gets the message. Create a rule in your inbox to batch these, but make it very easy for them to get solutions this way. Otherwise it can be terribly inefficient.

2. Couriers and Messages, Ah couriers hate that one too. See they leave a message and have to keep on following their route. By the time a prospect calls back they maybe out of the area and the person, who's in a rush for their package is furious that they won't drop everything and don't understand how important the dog food etc is. 30 minute argument insues and next thing I'm kicking ass to his boss because the poor chap was accused of being rude to a customer. One bad experience like this and it ruins it for the rest of us. Worst part is both people are in the right so it creates a loose loose.

Some epic backlinking there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Give him the right prices, but put them on the wrong items. Also when replying, start the e-mail Dear and His name, you have zero to lose. By looking for your prices, he's obviously more worried about you, than you are about him. Oh, enjoy it.

Thanks for the feedback folks, but I'm not going to spend any more time on it, I'm busy enough as it is thankfully. I've spent 8 years getting my prices right, and I'm happy with them. He can do the same hard work, but I'm not helping him. If he finds out bit by bit, or some another way that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Without knowing your area it's harder to assess.

I think what you said above makes sense.

From experience I also feel that on the continent or even the UK prices are far more transparent than they are here.

For whatever reason people/co's in Ireland are far more suspicious if that is the correct term about giving out their pricelist.

Maybe IMO this has a lot to do with many co's being far less competitive than they could or should be and are therefore retiscient about giving out prices.

Just an opinion albeit firmly held!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't know how you can recommend this, and be running a business. If I had that policy towards my work phone, I'd lose a lot of business. Customers calling from a work landline at their office, these numbers are often blocked, I know, I don't agree with organisations blocking their numbers, I think it's rude or stupid but at the end of the day, you don't know who is at the other end of the phone until you answer it...

I've got a Voicemail, the private number can leave me a message, have had enough stupid calls at this stage not to bother answering private numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

You remind me of my old boss,

I wouldnt never ever ever give you a good turn with that attitude towards answering a phone call with private numbers.

A quick reality check - your losing business because of this, do u realise this ?
    Your percieved perception that people automatically run to the nearest cheapest competitor to save a few euros is quite nieve.
    Yes people want value for money, added customer service and professionalism and HELP is what i would pay extra for.

I often and i can say honestly im not the only one in my town that does this,that go to a different supplier even do he is dearer than all the rest for him.. NOT what he sells. I wont say what he does but his service is 100%, his manner is 110%, his professionalism is 100% and you can see yourself being his friend because he.s a nice guy and nice human being. He has a smile when he says hi.. a ****ing simple meet and greet.

Do i pay extra for this service.. probably,
    Will i continue paying extra for this service ? Most definetely - So again i cant stress or give enough examples to back up my claims that its not really a price, (it matters) but its not the be all and end all of business.

I think most business owners having been going through the motions for years and years forget this, having your own business is sometimes a postive ego boost and gives you that edge to get things done, but its a double edged sword, sometimes you need to take a step back and say im no longer johhny big balls. Im not worth 2 billion this year so Yes - im going to learn some more today and hopefully strive and become a bigger person and attain that goal of 2 billion. (Money might not be most peoples goals for business it certainly is mine)

Im sure you can see this when u take a step back my friend, i dont mean to be insulting in any way im just trying to push my point, if i get off my ass and im in a buying mood all i dont need is someone not answering the phone. At your end you think its that miserable prik down the road but its not, its little old bob that needs 2 grand of goodies and want it yesterday. Yes i will go your nearest competitor with my 2000 clams and make his weekend.. it doesnt really matter to me but ask yourself does it matter to you ?

Also last point its worrying that your negative feelings towards this dude down the road is leading you into destrutive expression and repression.
    The above leads to depression, psychomantic illnessess, low self esteem, emotional withdrawel and has a recourse to drugs and beer.. (Ever have a bad day and want to go get smashed? )

This also leads to sulking and sarcasm. This above is being thought in every business college in the country at the moment.. He.s getting to you, he.s winning. A suggestive thought when u see this prik ring again smile and say.. "oh buddy your still chipping away, but im still here fighting" Getting into a bad mood when looking at the phone isnt cool when little old bob tries to ring and you dont answer.. bob goes down with his money and is eaten because the boss was irate because the phone rang again !! Sale lost.

I was a business owner, and im currently a bussiness owner albeit a very small one. I hope ive made at least a best suggestion on how to handle this situation and grow as the better person. Obviously you are winning or you wouldnt be getting these montly phone calls :D:D

Sorry for rambling but i had to try get my points in.

Appy

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

Time for a quote - the customer you win on price is the customer you will lose on price"
    I am all about transparency but you have to offer quality - all too often people are motivated by price when looking for web design and digital services.

Advertisement