Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will my dog start cocking his leg to pee?

• 15-09-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

It's really starting to get on my nerves
    He's a Rough Collie so has really long hair and when he pees it goes all down his belly hairs and sometimes his front leg hairs, I'm worried that his lovely white hair will start to stain.

he is 9 and a half months btw

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Our Boxer didn't start until he was at least 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I have a three year old springer and he still does that, he does sometimes cock his leg but that's only when we're out and he could be marking his scent.Usually he just stretches out and goes. It does't appear to be a problem as his hair is not that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Read this thread OP, it may never happen!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056379033

Although in the windy conditions last weekend Benson did lift his leg to defer the pee away from his leg. Another proud moment!!
    But since then he's back to standing on all fours.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

i had a golden retriever(may he rest in peace me ould buddy)who never lifted his leg at all,and every night i would go for a stroll around our garden and when i made a pee he would pee in the exact same place

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

:eek: uh oh I don't like the sound of that....
    I really wouldn't mind if he had short hair or even if he didn't have white hair on his belly and front legs...
    I wonder is it because the only dogs he has contact with (other family members pets) are all bitches, he hasn't been around any male dogs since he was a young pup
    fingers crossed so :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Until six years ago I did not even know that it was only male dogs that cocked their legs to pee...

I think about that often when I am out in sideways rain last thing at night, begging the girls to "GO PEE! PLEASE GO PEE!"

Such is life! A constant learning curve..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is he neutered OP?

nope, I'm planning to put him out to stud when he's old enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Mine didn't untill he was maybe 16-17 months.

But still would squat like a bitch sometimes :confused:

Never thought of it as something wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

My pug only started to pee like a proper boy when he was 11 months :D I was like a proud parent cheering him on!! He dosn't do it every single time, I think he gets a bit lazy at times :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well when dogs start cocking their legs, its not peeing, it's marking!! They get used to peeing that way and start cocking their leg up for every time they go..

I have a male Westie who has to mark every blade of grass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

SirenX wrote: »
    :eek: uh oh I don't like the sound of that....
    I really wouldn't mind if he had short hair or even if he didn't have white hair on his belly and front legs...
    I wonder is it because the only dogs he has contact with (other family members pets) are all bitches, he hasn't been around any male dogs since he was a young pup
    fingers crossed so :(

More interaction with older dogs should push him in the right direction. My dog didn't start lifting his leg until just over 12 months of age when he started to copy my friends bitch(she lifts her leg to pee.. presumably because she's mostly around dogs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

SirenX wrote: »
    nope, I'm planning to put him out to stud when he's old enough

Just asked in case he was neutered before he'd started marking. My dog is 2 and never cocked his leg but it neutered..he went thru a phase of getting his wee on him too like your guy but grew out of it thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

If you ask me Id wish they never start cocking their legs and marking. At least you can clip the hair under his belly....try apologising to a random person in the park that you are sorry that your dog did a wee on his nice clean white linen trousers....so embarrassed!!!

And I neutered him young!!! I think it depends on the dog. Marking is a pain in the neck so annoying when you have to clean everything else but the dog :)

well luckily my dog never wees or poos outside of our garden, dunno why but he just doesn't, no matter how long the walk is

and id never cut his hair unless it was matted or in a place at risk of matting (eg the hair on his paws).
    because he's a rough collie I pride myself of his long beautiful hair and I love his belly hair and if it were trimed it would just look odd

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Our sheltie started to lift his leg at around 11 months, only on one side though. Though we were lucky enough that he didn't really get any on his coat.

We actually have a girl who lifts her leg as well. Not as much a boy would though. She's a GSD/collie cross so she has a lot of hair but not absolute mountains but we assume she is just protecting her hair. It looks really strange though

Advertisement