Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's probably depends on the way the draft works to an extent. I would not overly worry about. My Eirn is 30 years old. No air wash system on it, just learn to ignore it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks guys, once it's nothing to worry about I'm happy to just ignore it. We do get a strong downdraft depending on what direction the wind blows. Planning to get the lad who sweeps the chimney to stick a cowl on the next time he's out, so it'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Can I ask how you went about installing a new glass? Price and sourcing etc.

How much for a chimney clean these days? I'm due one soon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Deregos.

40 quid, thats country prices. Or you could invest in this and do yourself. https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bailey-19mm-blue-brass-jointed-drain-rod-set-9-14m/79897

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Not sure where in the country you're based, but these guys are local-ish to me https://odowdscarrick.com/ I just rang them up and they said drop the door in to them. I had the glass replaced and the door re-roped. I think it was about €85 iirc

I had the glass changed as the previous owner of the house appeared to have tried to clean it with a sanding disc and it was very badly scuffed/scratched so I was wondering was this contributing to the soot build-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Inset stove pit in instead of an open fire about three months ago. A Boru Beag 5w. Looks like whatever they used to hold the stove into fireplace didn't take as it seems to be a little wobbly and I can see a 10mm gap at side with only a little hold Is this common? Potentially dangerous?

A insert stove should sit in,bits lower weight should hold it in place. Anything around it should only seal it in place

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I had a Vitae inserted. Noticed the surrounding plasterboard is always hot. The installer returned and added more insulation on top of the stove exterior and put in a extra skirt to lift it way from the plasterboard. But plasterboard still heats up to the point I wonder if its a fire hazard? Should special fire resistant plasterboard be always installed in the surround?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Anyone know if Adam brand is ok quality. Looking for a relatively cheap electric stove and one I found on fireplaceworld.ie looks decent for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Hi Guys, hoping someone can shed some light. I've a Vitae 8kw landscape woodburn stove. Local barstool expert says he has the same stove, and is using a multifuel kit from the cassette stove version In it without any problems. He said kit is slightly smaller than the landscape but he keeps the coal central to the grate area and no issues for over a year.

I'd contacted heat design to ask if there was a kit available but they said kit is only for the cassette that the landscape isn't made to use other fuels, so I guess I'm wondering is what Mr Barstool doing dangerous or are the cassette and landscape stoves made of same material ect but marketed as different styles and there actually is a way to safely burn coal in it with a kit?

Have a Vitae 6 Kw. not sure if its "Landscape". Vendor subsequently inserted two side metal plates in the interior saying I could burn stove coal. So far so good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Sounds like the "multifuel kit" was added to yours, it appears to be 2 side metal plates and a smaller back one and is what he's using. The kit is too small for the landscape and only for the "casette" shape, but he somehow has it in there.

I don't know what the grate/ashpan is like in the casette version to know if there's a difference there, so can't figure out if it's actual build and materials are totally different and that's why the landscape can't do multifuel, or if it's down to marketing and it it can with some modification aka mr barstool, but I'd rather edge on the side of caution before trying

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Hi all

Had a 5kw san remo multifuel stove fitted a week ago . Did the initial small lighting as instructed and now see a large crack in the back firebrick board. I know these cracks can happen eventually but after such a short time makes me think this is a piece of cheap imported crap

would welcome any advice. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Getting a stove installed and currently have no vent in the room. Two questions:

1) I have suspended floors, can I put a vent in the floor instead? (Have lifted the floors previously, timber bone dry so appears to be good ventilation)

2) In the UK if you have a stove of 5kw or less in a pre 2008 home, you don't need a vent. Why is that not the same here?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭grennscreener

Want to get a pellet stove in to replace a clapped out wood stove. Anyone any thoughts on the henley bio 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've access to wood, hard wood, dried (not kiln dried). Thinking of getting a small stove for a snug type room. We'll insulated, has a vent. Room is 3.5m x 2.5m, 3m ceiling. Any ideas on what brand/where to shop? Not looking for an insert, ideally airwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

HEARTH DIMENSIONS

Apologies if this has been asked before. I have received quotations to install a wood burning stove in living room of my house. I have been told that the minimum dimensions of the hearth (freestanding) must be 84x84cm. They have advised that hearth will rise about 2cm from floor (engineered wood). My concern is that as the living space is quite narrow, the hearth will protrude to where people will walk by to access stariwell and will form a trip hazard.

My question is, is it possible for hearths to be embedded at the same level of surrounding floorboards ? Something like as pictured here (though without the nasty metal).

I'm guessing no, due the logic of separating combustible and non combustible material. Are there any solutions to this? 84x84 seems massive but I am aware this this is part of building regulations. Is this link to the most up do date regulations?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 robsull

Hi All. Question about stove installation costs. Thinking of purchasing an 8Kw Multi Fuel stove and have been quoted 3300 for installation. Is this roughly the going rate or a bit on the high side.

What type of house. What will the installation involve. Are you sitting the stove in front of an existing opening or recessing it back.

Will the installation involve a surround , tiling, plinth etc. I presume the chimney must be lined. Is the stove extra. Is the stove supplier doing the installation

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robsull

Dormer house. Im removing the existing fireplace and sitting the stove in front of the opening. They will be closing up the opening. No surround.

Must get a new hearth as the current one is cracked and the new one will be a different size. Yes they chimney has to be lined, with high grade liner they said as its multi fuel, The stove is another 2k on top of the installation cost. And yes the stove supplier is doing the installation.

Thanks

They are putting a proper saddle on you. I know things have got expensive and some dormer roofs are hard to access. Did a similar job two years ago but opened up the fireplace and tiled around the internal part not a dormer roof and chimney was at side of house

I never heard of a high grade liner. There are two grades gas fire liners and solid fuel liners. The difference in price of liners is miniscule. I cannot imagine liner, cowl, crow guard along with vermiculite and other bits and pieces being more than 7-800 euro inc vat. A plinth should cost no more than 2-300 euro.

They will have 2300+ in for labour and fitting. Vat is 450 euro on the complete job. Not only that as they are fitting your stove I think (I may be wrong) they can reduce the applied vat rate to 13.5 from 23% on the stove so another 100 euro.

That is a fairly simple job you could do that yourself if you have a lad to do the roof and the tidying up around the opening and the plinth.

The trick to doing the opening is adding either cement or bonding to the hardwall and it goes off faster.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Looking for opinions on the henly (skellig) 8kw stove?

Can get one supplied and fitted(new liner etc) for 2900euro is this a fair price?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Have 2 separate systems in the 1 house.

System no1:

15.5 metres of radiators so undecided between the Henley Sherwood 21kw or 25kw based on different recommendation from 2 suppliers.

System no.2:

9.3 metres of radiators with one supplier saying Henley Sherwood 18kw will do and other saying go with Henley Sherwood 21 kW.

Anyone have experience of this? They are solid fuel stoves with back boilers.

Have been quoted €700 for a 5 kW Atlantic stove Bay insert job.

Going with no flexi flu or solid flu into chimney and leaving as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

If you're not using a flexible flue liner and vermiculite there is a good chance the existing flue liner in your chimney could crack from the higher temperatures if you're putting in an insert stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

The 5 kW insert stove was the one I was told by both suppliers not to bother with flue liners. The 2 larger units will be free standing, will that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭divillybit

I don't it makes any difference if its free standing or not. Did your suppliers say why a flue liner would not be needed? Not sure what kind of house you have but when I bought my house in 2015 the builder had said that because I was putting in a stove (stanley cara with back boiler) that a flue liner was needed. If I didn't put in the flue liner and the flue cracked afterwards he said he wouldn't be responsible for it.

• Advertisement

I say he was just covering his ar5e. I have a Stanley Eirn 40k btu stove (11.7kw) in a standard chimney for the last 30+ years. It was fitted before liners ever started to be used. The chimney is perfect.

Most of the reason for flue liners is so that the stove emitts it heat sooner, faster and you get more output from the stove.

A stove looses heat warming up the chimney. As the heat in the chimney rises it sends more to the room. The reason for vermiculite is yes it stops transfer of heat into the chimney but the vermiculite again in insulating the liner is actually allowing the chimney ( this is actually what the liner is) to heat faster and again for the room to heat faster. Another reason for the vermiculite is to help prevent you liner rusting and extend its lifespan. If you had no vermiculite there would be a lot of condensation on your liner as it heats and cools condensation would form as cold air hits it. The vermiculite also helps prevent a down draft as cold air would constantly be coming into the empty space around the liner if it was not filled. Finally if a home co.es in your liner while monoxide will escape the vermiculite will slow down its progress

Having said all that @westsidestory I be of the opinion you should line your chimneys it's a better job in the long term

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement