Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cootehill

Sorry for jumping in on this discussion but i'm looking for some info!
    We are planning on putting a free standing stove in the living room and want to keep the flue inside and up through the bedroom upstairs then out the roof. The company doing it for us has said this is no problem as the flue will be boxed off. My question is will we lose any heat from the flue from boxing it off as the whole idea of keeping it was to gain heat and secondly is if we do lose the heat then is there any other way of protecting it without losing heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Cootehill wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in on this discussion but i'm looking for some info!
    We are planning on putting a free standing stove in the living room and want to keep the flue inside and up through the bedroom upstairs then out the roof. The company doing it for us has said this is no problem as the flue will be boxed off. My question is will we lose any heat from the flue from boxing it off as the whole idea of keeping it was to gain heat and secondly is if we do lose the heat then is there any other way of protecting it without losing heat?

The company is right it has to be boxed off
    The reason for the boxing is to stop someone from touching it
    It has to be twin wall flue and there isn't a great amount of heat lost through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Hi everyone:). I just want to say that I am leaving the forum to start a new life back in the UK.
    I have enjoyed advising on all things stove related, but am going to be very busy with pastures new and won't be taking such an active role on the forum. I will pop in from time to time, but need to organise my new place and find work.

It's been good to give advice and this thread has been a great success, I hope someone will continue.

For rad sizes compare the size here, it will give you a rough output.
    http://www.traderadiators.com/acatalog/Compact_Radiators.html
    Add each rad up and add 2-3kw for heating the domestic hot water. This will give a rough boiler size.

Measure the room your stove is going into and input the measurements here
    http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/room-heat-calculator.aspx You can select insulation levels.
    If you are installing a boiler stove the stoves room heat should match or be less than the calculated room kw figure.
    Look at the stoves quoted room heat and boiler output KW figure. Ideally get the plumber to size the stove during a home visit.
    The stove should be installed to manufacturers instructions and building regs.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf
    Try to buy a well proven brand.

Look at stove reviews at: www.whatstove.co.uk

I wish everyone the very best and keep warm:D

Kind regards:). James. (Stove Fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting an insert stove. Based on room size we only need a ~4kw. Has anyone experience or an opinion, good or bad, in relation to the following:

Mulberry Stoker
    http://www.mulberrystoves.com/products-stoker.html

WST4I Multifuel Inset Stove
    http://www.dimpco.ie/product-range/Dimplex-Domestic-Products/Solid-Fuel-Stoves

Boru Croi Beag inset stove
    http://borustoves.ie/an-croi-beag/

TR4
    http://www.tripp.ie/heatdesign/Main/Stoves_TR4.htm

Would a flue be required for these? If it depends on certain factors, what would these be?
    I've been quotes €700-€800 for a flue, would this be concidered high/about right?
    Also, I'd imagine there are good and bad flues, what should I look out for or more importantly avoid?
    Should the space between the flexi-flue and chimney be filled in?

Regarding my actual fireplace, to make room, it looks as though the back of the hearth will have to be removed. Should anyting be put in its place, some fire protection?

Finally, has anyone every deal with Hearth and Home in Fonthill and if so would you recomend them? Or are there any supplier+fitter you'd recommend (Dublin Area)?

It's alot of questions I know..thanks in advanced!
    Mhtc

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kateof1

Hi I am looking for a boiler stove to heat 11 rads. They are mostly single rads but very big one. I have no idea about stoves and liked the Stanley Reginald but after reading some reviews I have changed my mind and I am not looking at hunter or Charnwood. I would appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask what is probably a stupid question, but I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to stoves and plumbing.

I have noticed when using my stove (with back boiler) that sometimes the radiators can seem to heat up relatively quickly after the fire is lit, but other times it can take a couple of hours for them to heat.

Also, some times I notice that even after hours of use my hot water cylinder is not full of hot water, but other times it is full and very hot.

Now the question!

Does the system have to heat the water cylinder before it can heat the rads? Is that the first thing it will do?

And if I have the hot water cylinder pre-heated, say with the immersion or the oil, does this take strain off the stove and allow it to heat the rads more efficiently?

And can I sneak another question in here too? Using oil over the last few weeks I noticed that there are 2 main rads that are staying cold and not heating at all. However, last night I lit the stove for the 1st time this year, and these 2 same rads began to heat up (not as much as others in the house to be fair). Why would rads heat on solid fuel but not oil?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mylomac

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi everyone:). I just want to say that I am leaving the forum to start a new life back in the UK.
    I have enjoyed advising on all things stove related, but am going to be very busy with pastures new and won't be taking such an active role on the forum. I will pop in from time to time, but need to organise my new place and find work.

It's been good to give advice and this thread has been a great success, I hope someone will continue.

For rad sizes compare the size here, it will give you a rough output.
    http://www.traderadiators.com/acatalog/Compact_Radiators.html
    Add each rad up and add 2-3kw for heating the domestic hot water. This will give a rough boiler size.

Measure the room your stove is going into and input the measurements here
    http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/room-heat-calculator.aspx You can select insulation levels.
    If you are installing a boiler stove the stoves room heat should match or be less than the calculated room kw figure.
    Look at the stoves quoted room heat and boiler output KW figure. Ideally get the plumber to size the stove during a home visit.
    The stove should be installed to manufacturers instructions and building regs.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf
    Try to buy a well proven brand.

Look at stove reviews at: www.whatstove.co.uk

I wish everyone the very best and keep warm:D

Kind regards:). James. (Stove Fan)

Hi Stovefan,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and great advice that you have given. Best of luck back in the UK !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 superhawk

Could anyone give me some advice on two insert stoves I'm looking at, I cant decide between a esse 350gs or a charnwood slx45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Please don't go StoveFan !!

Anyway, all the best, enjoyed reading your advice on here, and thanks for the personal advice you gave me on my heating system via numerous PMs.
    Proof that the internet can actually be useful at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Thanks Stovefan for all your help. Good luck for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lackagh1970

Just want to post that I got my Stanley Oisin at the weekend so had its first light tonight..... put 2 briquettes on at 5.30 , they only went out while ago and the place is so cosy I cannot believe how much heat has generated out of only 2 briquettes and a couple of sticks....so happy I got it in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Quick question, I've a charnwood country 16B in the kitchen (flue out the back) and I must say I love it, heats the whole downstairs all day for half a bag of smokeless and a few sticks.

Only problem I have at the moment is the draw doesn't seem to be great.

If I open the door to reload smoke comes out and the glass blackens so you can't see the fire way too fast (have a smaller one in the other room and it's fine!)

Is there anything I can do to improve the draw, I know I can open the vent and stuff but I would prefer to slow the burn and still have a good draw?

Thanks
    Gary

superhawk wrote: »
    Could anyone give me some advice on two insert stoves I'm looking at, I cant decide between a esse 350gs or a charnwood slx45.

Folks have the charnwood and love it, really well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Thank you for your advice when I was trying to navigate stoves minefield!

I got my Clearview installed a few days ago (haven't lit it yet though :P waiting for the plaster to dry on wall behind).

Wish you best of luck in your new life, I'm sure you've built up a nice bit of Karma from all your efforts here :) .

p.s. are you bringing the cat? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey everyone, need advice on getting a stove... really looking to get an insert stove, and have my eyes on the Stanley one, but how does it compare to a regular one that would stick out? would there be a big difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 hatch03

Hello
    Very new to this web site, apoligies for any mistakes, looking for some advice

I'm putting in a stove in the next few weeks, I have finally picked a plumber after a lot of head scratching. The problem i'm having is which stove too pick, our plumber is recommending the Stanley Reginald but the local stove shop (highly recommended by many) says the Stratford He20eb.

Our house is a standard 4bed dormer fairly well insulated (walls pumped and extra insulation in the attic), the room where the stove is goin is 16' x 16' x 8.5'.
    I have 13 rads (7 downstairs & 6 up) calculated between 14 & 16kws.
    Sorry for goin on but its a lot of money to spend and i dont want to get the wrong one, any help would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, my parents want to install a stove in their bungalow and I have been tasked with doing some research but there seems to be so many options!
    They already have oil and a backboiler that heats 10 radiators. The main living room is average size where the stove would go. They want one that will sit out on the hearth. They spoke to one dealer but I think he went into rip off the elderly mode.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

hatch03 wrote: »
    Hello
    Very new to this web site, apoligies for any mistakes, looking for some advice

I'm putting in a stove in the next few weeks, I have finally picked a plumber after a lot of head scratching. The problem i'm having is which stove too pick, our plumber is recommending the Stanley Reginald but the local stove shop (highly recommended by many) says the Stratford He20eb.

Our house is a standard 4bed dormer fairly well insulated (walls pumped and extra insulation in the attic), the room where the stove is goin is 16' x 16' x 8.5'.
    I have 13 rads (7 downstairs & 6 up) calculated between 14 & 16kws.
    Sorry for goin on but its a lot of money to spend and i dont want to get the wrong one, any help would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks

No exp of the Stratford EB20He but we installed the EB12HE during the summer and I am really happy with it. It is heating our rads really well. Seems to be fuel efficient and looks good. The glass is easy to keep clean and once cleaned it stays clean all day which is important to me.... I like to be able to see my fire :D

We got our walls pumped recently and upgraded the attic insulation last year (12 Yr old bungalow) and between that and the stove, I don't anticipate having to use the oil this year. The house seems to hold the heat well and I think the fact that the rads are warm for a long time, the house just doesn't seem to get cold at all.

I don't have any personal experience of the Stanley only that my in-laws have the Stanley Erin (I think, the big one with the pattern on the door) and to me it doesn't feel as solid as ours when ever I have to open and shut the door on theirs. I think a lot of people have great faith in them as they are a long established brand name but I don't know if they are as good as other stoves on the market. Also the glass on both my parent-in-laws and brother-in-laws stove never seems to be clean. I know MIL cleans her glass every day but to me it seems to be blackened all the time.... Only a small thing I'm sure but as I said earlier I like to be able to see the fire!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Quick bit of advice sought by stove fan please? I have installed a Dimplex westcott 8 kw stove in our living room with a fixed open vent to the exterior wall. Chimney flu adaptor fitted and lovely fire going since jan! Too hot sometimes!! Followed hetac guidelines for fitting stove with regards to fixed open vent- my question is the 4" bore hole is at ceiling height and open all the time. Can I move it down to just above the skirting boards near the stove as I feel the hot air is going out the vent at ceiling level? Heat rises etc!! Cheers

• Advertisement

How many rads are you heating with that emg and do they get very hot also is there plenty heat in room. I was all set to go with an inset but I'm going away from the idea now as the ones I've seen hardly throw any heat atall into room. They are very good to heat rads ok.

Hi - We are heating 9 radiators from the Stove - Sizes as follows :

Bed1 1600 x 500 (single)
    Bed2 970 x 500 (Double)
    EnSuite 500 x 500 (single)
    Bed3 1200 x 500 (single) & Rad in wardrobe 400 x 500 (single)
    Bed4 1200 x 500 (single) & Rad in wardrobe 400 x 500 (single)
    Bathroom 900 x 500 (single)
    Hall Corridor 1400 x 500 (single)

The stove also heats the room it is in plus the adjoining kitchen & utility room

The radiators are good and hot. I have a couple of thermostats in the kids rooms and they are around 21-22 degrees at bedtime. The stove is lit every day but I work on Mon-Wed so no fire till about 7pm those 3 evenings.

Temp in living room is currently 25.2 degrees with a small fire since this morning.

We burn a mix of turf / firewood & smokeless coal

Hope this helps

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Quick question, I've a charnwood country 16B in the kitchen (flue out the back) and I must say I love it, heats the whole downstairs all day for half a bag of smokeless and a few sticks.

Only problem I have at the moment is the draw doesn't seem to be great.

If I open the door to reload smoke comes out and the glass blackens so you can't see the fire way too fast (have a smaller one in the other room and it's fine!)

Is there anything I can do to improve the draw, I know I can open the vent and stuff but I would prefer to slow the burn and still have a good draw?

Thanks
    Gary

Was recently with a stove installer and they suggested never to flu out the back as draw is never good enough and soot can build up behind. Think the Hetac installation guidelines in the uk don't allow this also! Interesting its common practice here!

Thanks emg. You seem to have plenty heat from that stove certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rocketman2010

Has anyone any expereince with the Stovax View 8 or Yemoan CL8 with the back boiler? I know they are expensive but I really like the look of them. The guy in store reckons it will service the house sufficiently but I don't think it will from my own calculations.

I was speaking to a guy in a stove shop this evening and he said the Yola stove is one of the best on the market at the minute. He sells various types. They' re new out, made in Wexford. Im hoping to see one over the weekend. Its hard to decide whats the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

emg74 wrote: »
    Hi - We are heating 9 radiators from the Stove - Sizes as follows :

Bed1 1600 x 500 (single)
    Bed2 970 x 500 (Double)
    EnSuite 500 x 500 (single)
    Bed3 1200 x 500 (single) & Rad in wardrobe 400 x 500 (single)
    Bed4 1200 x 500 (single) & Rad in wardrobe 400 x 500 (single)
    Bathroom 900 x 500 (single)
    Hall Corridor 1400 x 500 (single)

What stove are u using emg74?

Thanks

What stove are u using emg74?

Thanks

It is the Stratford EB12He Boiler stove - Bought it during the summer, so far very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Patsy52

Hi all, new to the forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place!
    Had a Stovax Riva avanti 66 installed last spring and very pleased with it until this week when I notice scorch or soot marks on the wall above he top frame vents. I have heat resistant plaster on the wall around the stove and a paint finish. Any ideas why the scorch marks are only appearing now? Is it a stove problem or a paint problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

Hi,
    We have had an Efel stove fitted for a number of years now without any real issues. When we first got it we were burning old wood cut-off from a building site which were very dry,these burned very well and quite hot. However since we switched to ash and Leylandii the stove smokes badly. The wood is dry but doesn't burn as hot as the cut-offs. My question is,what is the maximum length
    the horizontal pipe can be at the back of the stove? We extended the standard pipe that came with the stove and have it joining the chimney flue at a 90 degree angle. the existing flue was also not lined. I have a feeling that the smoke is gathering in this extended piece of pipe. Also can a 90 degree bend be used on these stoves or is 45 degrees the norm
    thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 hatch03

emg74 wrote: »

No exp of the Stratford EB20He but we installed the EB12HE during the summer and I am really happy with it. It is heating our rads really well. Seems to be fuel efficient and looks good. The glass is easy to keep clean and once cleaned it stays clean all day which is important to me.... I like to be able to see my fire :D

We got our walls pumped recently and upgraded the attic insulation last year (12 Yr old bungalow) and between that and the stove, I don't anticipate having to use the oil this year. The house seems to hold the heat well and I think the fact that the rads are warm for a long time, the house just doesn't seem to get cold at all.

I don't have any personal experience of the Stanley only that my in-laws have the Stanley Erin (I think, the big one with the pattern on the door) and to me it doesn't feel as solid as ours when ever I have to open and shut the door on theirs. I think a lot of people have great faith in them as they are a long established brand name but I don't know if they are as good as other stoves on the market. Also the glass on both my parent-in-laws and brother-in-laws stove never seems to be clean. I know MIL cleans her glass every day but to me it seems to be blackened all the time.... Only a small thing I'm sure but as I said earlier I like to be able to see the fire!!

Thanks emg
    I think the Stratford the right way too go, its a tidyer stove, do u know are they a new model and would they stand the test of time?
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭chelbi

mk2 wrote: »
    The performance is great i can't belive the heat in the house,i have 12 rads coming off it and it heats them no problem,the chieftain is 17kw output 15kw to water and 2kw to the room which is about right for me,i would advise anyone thats thinking about getting a stove in to do it its well worth it you would think the heating is on from about an hour after the fire is lit,the materials cost me €690 including pump tank and thermostat,the plumber charged €600 for the work he had to mod the flu reducer to fit and he got a plasterer to patch up the wall and he fitted the chimney cowel,and the stove and fireplace cost €2960 fitted feel free to ask any questions!

Had this installed in June and it is my only source of heating I had the gas taken out and the meter because they wanted to charge a daily rate just for having it in the wall even though it would not be in use. We are delighted with the stove performance so far it's been pretty cold for the past few days and now instead of heating only the rooms we were using we now can heat all our rooms at a fraction of what it was costing to heat our house with gas!
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

What do you think of this....my cottage(one storey) is 80 years old, chimney isn't lined of course...so I am planning in putting in a Oisin stove. The chimney has to be lined and insulated with vermiculite....fireplace redone with brick, brick work supplied and done, flue etc supplied and fitted, slate fitted....1700euro...

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the lining & vermiculite.....is it really necessary if a flue is used......thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I have a Stanley Erin boiler stove.

I open the main valve all the way for the first ten minutes or so when lighting it then close it all the way to zero on the main valve.

It still seems to burn really fast - where is the secondary valve I can close as ideally I just want this burning slowly in the background as I also have gas..

Or can anyone suggest anything else??

Thanks

Hey folks!

sorry if my question was too vague last time. I've been looking at stoves with my mum and she had been convinced by a friend that an insert stove would be useless as "all the heat would go up the chimney" which I thought was ridiculous. so I was looking to find out if there really would be a huge difference between in how much heat an insert would throw out to a room compared to the other kind of stove. I'm concerned that we wouldn't have enough space in the room she's thinking of putting it if we got the non-insert stove. so we were looking in a shop today that seemed really awesome, and the guy there seemed to explain everything really well to us.

I think we've both settled on a stove that we both like now, which is the Henley Valentia. one thing that my mum seemed to really like about it is that it's not completely inside the fireplace, there's like (excuse me if I'm using wrong terms here, I am a bit of a noob) a lip around it about 2 or 3 inches with vents that would be out from the fireplace. you can see here in the pic: http://www.henleystoves.com/images/valentia-gallery/33valentia-gallery.jpg

so I think that's pretty cool and my mum seems to love it.

I made sure to ask loads of questions myself, told the guy the size of the room it would be heating, which is 5m x 4m and he told us that it would be more than enough.

but I guess I've still got a few questions, so...

is Henley a good brand? I mean, all the stoves we've seen are all very solid looking, so I don't really know if there's going to be a huge amount of difference?

and we've heard different things about if it's worth it to put the steel pipe the full length of the chimney or not? both myself and my mum are leaning towards getting it the full length, but the guy in the shop was saying we'd really only need about a meter of it up from the stove itself and that the difference wouldn't be much?

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pat the builder

Hi all , wondering if anyone can help , have never posted here , first timer ,so please bare with me .We have purchased an ESSE 350 gs stove insert , our home is a 3 bed semi ,8 double radiators ,heat provided by natural gas boiler. Prior to the purchase of stove insert ,we thought we would be able to combine new stove with existing gas boiler.

We have had conflicting advice on this matter.

One plumber said we can only have one system.

The shop from where we purchased it says the plumber they use connects both systems on a regular basis.

Has anyone had this done? Kind regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jack534

When fitting an insert boiler stove when there is a perfectly good chimney is there any need for a flue pipe and reducer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Jack534 wrote: »
    When fitting an insert boiler stove when there is a perfectly good chimney is there any need for a flue pipe and reducer

It is not completely nessesary but the stove will be more efficient with a flue liner and correctly sized flue
    If the flue is to large it's hard to keep the flue gases temperatures high if they cool this can lead to condensation in the flue and stove which can cause corrosion and also lead to the production of credo des that can blok a flue

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jack534

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It is not completely nessesary but the stove will be more efficient with a flue liner and correctly sized flue
    If the flue is to large it's hard to keep the flue gases temperatures high if they cool this can lead to condensation in the flue and stove which can cause corrosion and also lead to the production of credo des that can blok a flue
    . Thanks Robbin would 1 metre of flue and reducer be sufficent

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rocketman2010

Ok guys I really need to decide what stove to buy. As mentioned earlier I was interested in the Stovax view 8 with backboiler. My problem is I feel it might not be sufficient for my needs. The sales guy and also my plumber felt the stove "isn't far off" what I need. This means turning down/off some rads or putting the oil on at the start to supplement the stove. But my idea of putting in the stove with bb was to lessen use of oil and fully heat water, room and house. I will list my rad sizes here and room dimensions if anyone would be able to help??
    • Room 23ftx13ftx8ft high
    • Water Tank 40 Gallons
    • 1100x500 Double
    • 1100x400 Double
    • 900x400 Double
    • 900x400 Double
    • 900x500 Double
    • 700x500 Single
    • 500x500 Single
    • 700x500 Single
    • Towel Rad
    The first two rads I listed will be in the main room where the stove will be.

Will I need to give up on the View8hb(5kw to room and Max 10kw to boiler) and try and get something with a bit more uumphh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭raglan

Got a Stratford 16 installed a few weeks ago. Up until now have been burning ordinary coal that we had left over, but got 2 bags of anthracite yesterday, as it is one of the HETAS approved fuels recommended to burn. Expected great things from it, from reach on web today it seems anthracite is very difficult to master to burn. Not that much heat from stove, as I can still put my hand on it to touch. Have to say, am very happy with heat in rads and hot water but overall heat from stove to room am not happy with so far but assume its a learning curve to find right fuel to burn and use of controls. I see Ecobrite mentioned a lot, what do people burn in their stoves? Which do people find better in their stoves, ecobrite or anthracite? Any other information that would be helpful on increasing room heat from stove would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement

Jack534 wrote: »
    You need an adapter as what can happen if u don't back up to the flu with vermiculite you will have soot build up that will eventually catch fire!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All,

Looking for some advice..

I have a small multi-fuel stove that I've had for about 4 years now..

I need to find a replacement grate - the stove itself is quite small..

It's 19.5" High , 13" wide and 17 3/4" deep (external measurements)

Does anyone know of suppliers in Ireland that would stock grates for this sized stove?

I originally purchased the stove in Scotland , but they currently do not have any parts in stock..

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Was recently with a stove installer and they suggested never to flu out the back as draw is never good enough and soot can build up behind. Think the Hetac installation guidelines in the uk don't allow this also! Interesting its common practice here!

Thanks for the update, might look at changing it to a 45 coming out the top instead so, hopefully that'll improve it enough to get the draw right. There'll still be a bend but out the top rather than at the back. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Looking at it now I dont know how I'd clean the bloody chimney the way it's set up now anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

I'm looking for someone that can install a new flue in my chimney and connect it to a mutli-fuel stove and back fill with vermiculite etc.

I have pre-purchased the flue liner and connections etc.

PM me any names and recommendations. Dublin area.

Any idea of costs? It would be labour for one day I suppose.

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Folks, small bit of advice. Im trying to size a stove. I will have at least 3metres of uninsulated flu pipe in the room rising from the stove before it hits the insulated part. Should I bear this mind when sizing the output of a stove? How much heat would 3 metres give out approx?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lucillel

Does anyone have the Dimplex Westcott 4.3kw stove inset ?? If so how do they find it. The fire box seems small but i have a small sitting room and 4.3kw would be enough. Cant find any reviews.

What other stoves would suit a small room ie 5kw or less ?? help please

Hi, been looking for some reviews on this stove, how are u finding it now?? the fire basket looks small do u have to refuel alot ?? is it worth the buy. i have a small sitting room and think this would be idea, just worried re size of fire box. and lack of reviews.. thanks..

Hi lads. I've been looking around for the last couple of weeks for an insert stove. I had an open eire in my sitting room and after last winter i swore i wouldn't waste that much money on feeding an open fire. I bought a Dimplex Wescott 4.3kw during the week and put it in today. I'm only using small amounts of turf as that's whats recomended and have to say its early days but it seems to be great so far. Its very simple to fit and for someone that's on a tight budget its a very reasonable price of €420. I should be able to recoup my money over a winter or 2 on solid fuel.

Hi, been looking for some reviews on this stove, how are u finding it now?? the fire basket looks small do u have to refuel alot ?? is it worth the buy. i have a small sitting room and think this would be idea, just worried re size of fire box. and lack of reviews.. thanks..

so, can anyone tell me if the Henley stoves are good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Looks like we are missing Stove Fan since he retired, lots of questions and no answers :(

Advertisement