Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

We have 14 to water and 3 to room from our Yola so 4.5 to room sounds very good. What size is your room and do you have a rad in that room also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Hi folks, we have a large lounge which is hard to heat. It is 26 ft x 12ft. We are strongly thinking about a stove which would then also throw heat through to the kitchen and upstairs etc due to our layout.

Just a couple of questions!

1. Can anyone recommend a company in the Limerick area to purchase the stove from who would also come out and survey the fireplace etc first.

2.Would the chimney cleaning be done from the bottom up through the stove?

2.Is the cleaning involved any different to a standard chimney clean?

thanks

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been covered before but I wanted to get peoples opinions on how to light a stove so you always get it going as quickly as possible.

With our Cara insert i have tried with a couple of dry turf, couple of bits of kindling, a chunk of fire lighter and a briquette or two.

When i light the fire - i have the secondary air control full open and the spin dial on the front bottom fully open - the fire will blaze away for a few minutes until the kindling burns out but the other material doesnt light and the fire tends to nearly go out for maybe 20 minutes and smoulder away and then it will catch fire and blaze away. The trouble is if i open the door during this period smoke will come back into the room.. once the fire gets going i turn down the air controls and then its easy for the rest of the night refuelling etc..

I guess its a combination of maybe the flu warming up and maybe not adding enough kindling to the mix? What do people generally use to get their stoves going?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been covered before but I wanted to get peoples opinions on how to light a stove so you always get it going as quickly as possible.

With our Cara insert i have tried with a couple of dry turf, couple of bits of kindling, a chunk of fire lighter and a briquette or two.

When i light the fire - i have the secondary air control full open and the spin dial on the front bottom fully open - the fire will blaze away for a few minutes until the kindling burns out but the other material doesnt light and the fire tends to nearly go out for maybe 20 minutes and smoulder away and then it will catch fire and blaze away. The trouble is if i open the door during this period smoke will come back into the room.. once the fire gets going i turn down the air controls and then its easy for the rest of the night refuelling etc..

I guess its a combination of maybe the flu warming up and maybe not adding enough kindling to the mix? What do people generally use to get their stoves going?

Cheers,
    Mick

The turf is to hard to light straight away.Go with paper,kindling,firefighters then a dry log or a small shovel of coal ie Antracite or supacite then when it establishes throw on your turf and close down your air

• Registered Users Posts: 12 josieannawfd

Does anybody have experience of this inset stove - – Boru 900i Double Sided.

We just bought a 1978 build detached house and we are planning to take out the two back to back fireplaces in living room and kitchen and install this stove instead.

Can anybody recommend this or give recommendations for double sided insert stoves? Its an expensive buy for us at 2,100 so we want to be sure.

We will not be putting in a back boiler.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
    Mick

I just use kindling, dry small timber pieces and a larger log on top and some smokeless coal. Secondary air I leave open all the time so window does'nt blacken. Spin dial in front full open for a few mins then close it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I'm trying to source a stove that is a room heater but is also cable of sending hot air via ducts to adjacent rooms. I'm pretty sure such a thing exists but I am having difficulty finding one. Has anyone heard of this type of stove? I'd appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

peadar76 wrote: »
    I'm trying to source a stove that is a room heater but is also cable of sending hot air via ducts to adjacent rooms. I'm pretty sure such a thing exists but I am having difficulty finding one. Has anyone heard of this type of stove? I'd appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction

Regency stoves from Canada. At the moment they only sell in EU in some central European countries but should be here fairly soon. I brought a 22kw stove in a few weeks ago and installed it in my fathers house, it is heating 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 1 livingroom and a kitchen/dinningroom/living room via insulated tubes to all those rooms. Pretty effective so far but winter will reveal how well it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Try here might be similar to what your looking for
    http://vesta-heat.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

Scan or Stovax, you are limited on the length of ducting to be installed to benefit from the warm air, currently 3m. Installation of a fan may improve this but verify with the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Hi folks, we have a large lounge which is hard to heat. It is 26 ft x 12ft. We are strongly thinking about a stove which would then also throw heat through to the kitchen and upstairs etc due to our layout.

1. Can anyone recommend a company in the Limerick area to purchase the stove from who would also come out and survey the fireplace etc first and advise the type of stove needed.

2.Would the chimney cleaning be done from the bottom up through the stove? If I had to get someone up on the roof every year it would be a bit of a pain I think.

thanks

Thanks!

Widescreen wrote: »

2.Would the chimney cleaning be done from the bottom up through the stove? If I had to get someone up on the roof every year it would be a bit of a pain I think.

thanks

Thanks!

We have to clean ours from the top down. Not popular for the cleaning guy but from the room point no soot or dust into it.

Not due a clean for a while but can anyone recommend a chimney sweep in North county Dublin, Lusk, rush area that will sweep from top down?

Much better results tonight lighting few pieces of coal in with the kindling and bobs your uncle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Try here might be similar to what your looking for
    http://vesta-heat.com/

I actually did something like this myself a few years ago as an experemint on a smaller scale just to heat one room. But could easily be modified to heat more rooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Can people post pictures of ther finished stoves so others have an idea.

We have been given a quote for stove and installation which we feel is a bit high.
    Am I allowed to ask about coatings on this forum?

What quote did ye get and what type of stove?

Brianne wrote: »
    What quote did ye get and what type of stove?

Boru 600i double sided. Recessed 6cm each side. Comes in about €1650.

We have taken out fireplaces on both sides. But rest of work is putting hole in wall, installing stove, building up wall.€1400 for labour and materials.

Total €3,050

We paid 1400 for labour to put in an insert boiler stove and line chimney, that was not including stove or materials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Sometimes you can get a better deal for installation if you buy your stove off a shop that also can fit it for you.
    I was quoted a nice reduction on fitting of about e200 less in a shop that had their own fitter.Another shop recommended a fitter but no reduction as he was obviously working for himself.

Ya the quote there is with the shop fitter. V expensive altogether but if that's the going cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

Ya the quote there is with the shop fitter. V expensive altogether but if that's the going cost...

Very hard to say about prices without knowing the extent of the work or the materials included.

Best option is to get 1 or 2 more quotes from other fitters and you will then know if the price is right, stove fitters are all quiet at this time of year and you will get quotes back quickly

You say there is a 6 cm recess each side, this will need to be tiled or a metal frame created, if it is just plaster boarded or skimmed it will crack badly within weeks.
    The hardest part of fitting a stove is creating a surround that will not crack from the heat of the stove, so ask fitters plenty of questions as to how this will be achieved

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Hi DK,
    When we were in our local shop a few weeks ago inquiring about an insert boiler stove we were very impressed with the following stove.
    There was also a fantastic stratford option but it was out of our price range.

http://henleystoves.com/insert-stoves/the-achill-16-4kw-boiler-insert

this henley stove is new to the market so the only drawback is you will not be able to get any reviews of how it works, how long it lasts etc

The henley achill non boiler on which it is based is not exactly the market leader,ie. the door handle melts as soon as a good hot fire is lit :eek:

Widescreen wrote: »

1. Can anyone recommend a company in the Limerick area to purchase the stove from who would also come out and survey the fireplace etc first and advise the type of stove needed.

thanks

Thanks!
    Ryan stoves, they are in the parkway shopping centre and out in birdhill also, I have recommended them previously and the op was happy with their service as they do free call outs and surveys
    I have no connection to them and have never seen one of their finished jobs so get a call out and make up your mind from there

this henley stove is new to the market so the only drawback is you will not be able to get any reviews of how it works, how long it lasts etc

The henley achill non boiler on which it is based is not exactly the market leader,ie. the door handle melts as soon as a good hot fire is lit :eek:

A door handle is a small problem to be fair. I'm sure there is an option for a metal handle.At €200-€300 less than a Stanley Cara for a stove that's made in the same place id go with the better value one everyday! Its also a higher kw at 6.5 from the research i did.

As for the boiler version,it does have the aesthetics of the Achill but its more like a Stratford 12HE Inset boiler.It was the Stratford that we originally looked at and wanted but it was just too expensive. Ok we accept that it may not be of the quality of the Stratford but for the price difference and with a 5 year warranty sure it was the option for us.The bonus was that it was a higher output of 16kw and there was a cert from Gastec to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Karate Chop

Hi Guys,

Great thread!

I'm looking to get an Inset Stove put into my living room soon and I would really appreciate advice on the following.

My living room is about 25' x 12' x 8'. I live in a bungalow and I would like to be able to keep it lit overnight and heat other rooms. Can some advise of a good shop in Dublin with a decent showroom and good staff?

I am going to get thermaboard on the external walls of my living room. Should I get this done at the same time and what do I need to consider with this, do I even need to do this if I get a stove in?!

Has anyone got a flat screen TV on the wall over the stove, sounds like a silly question I know, but I was thinking of cutting out a section of the therma board to leave space for a tv, anyone do this?

Someone mentioned pics of their own Stoves, that would be great!

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Great thread!

I'm looking to get an Inset Stove put into my living room soon and I would really appreciate advice on the following.

My living room is about 25' x 12' x 8'. I live in a bungalow and I would like to be able to keep it lit overnight and heat other rooms. Can some advise of a good shop in Dublin with a decent showroom and good staff?

I am going to get thermaboard on the external walls of my living room. Should I get this done at the same time and what do I need to consider with this, do I even need to do this if I get a stove in?!

Has anyone got a flat screen TV on the wall over the stove, sounds like a silly question I know, but I was thinking of cutting out a section of the therma board to leave space for a tv, anyone do this?

Someone mentioned pics of their own Stoves, that would be great!

Thanks.
    Just re the TV don't put it over the stove, putting a tv over a fireplace is just about the worst place you can put it for viewing comfort never mind that the heat rising from the stove will damage it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Karate Chop

Just re the TV don't put it over the stove, putting a tv over a fireplace is just about the worst place you can put it for viewing comfort never mind that the heat rising from the stove will damage it

I have a 42" flat screen above the Fireplace at the moment and it is about the best place in the room for it.

Regarding the heat, I was hoping that having it recessed into the wall would protect it to some extent, also if there was a mantle piece above the stove it might steer the heat away!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done it without a problem...

• Advertisement

I have a 42" flat screen above the Fireplace at the moment and it is about the best place in the room for it.

Regarding the heat, I was hoping that having it recessed into the wall would protect it to some extent, also if there was a mantle piece above the stove it might steer the heat away!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done it without a problem...

The Mantel should help deflect the heat. Is it a marble fire surround?

Our inset stove will not stay burning overnight, it needs to be refuelled pretty often if its to keep rads hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Hi all,

Getting a multi fuel stove installed in the next 2 weeks, nothing too fancy. The house is 120 years old and they are dropping in a double skinned flue, but they have said they need to knock a hole behind the mirror above the fireplace to insulate the chimney. Does this sound normal? Whats it for?

I wasnt there when they said this.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

To Nobody! They need to break open the bottom of the chimney to re seal the bottom so that no dangerous flue gasses get up outside the flue liner and excape into the rooms above from the old chimney. They sound like they know what there doing to be doing this. Please read my attachment and you'll where I'm comeing from.
    ps. I personally think that stoves are brilliant, but only if installed correctly and also get a carbon monoxide alarm for the room.
    My Sister Avril.docx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Thanks, glad to hear they are being safe. I have 2 monitors already, might get another 2 for upstairs room just in case of leaks (4 chimneys close together, blocking the 2 upstairs ones and worried about leakage from one flue into a blocked one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Look up me attachment about my sister please in previous message.thanks MD/ scudo2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 annieb2010

Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a multi-fuel boiler stove that will heat 15 rads (all various sizes but all double rads). House is 2,500 sq.ft. Wondering has anyone any recommendations on the best make or best performer. I was looking at the Glenmore 30KW http://www.stovescentre.ie/Shopping/Product/470-Glenmore-30kw-Boiler.aspx
    but would like some feedback from someone who has one, on how good it is.

Another option is the Green 30b but I have never heard of this make so unsure about it, although it does come with a 5 year guarantee so I would assume that they are pretty good if offering that?????

Any recommendations / experience from anyone with a stove that does actually heat 15 rads and water.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    I see this crowd are doing a great deal on a Boru Carrig Mor-
    Irish made with warranty but there website doesnt actually say how long.
    http://www.emeraldstoves.com/special-offers#!/~/product/category=5695085&id=23714537

Previously i was raving about this stove and even though it hasnt been used much since still think its fantastic.
    http://www.henleystoves.com/boiler-stoves/the-druid-30kw-stove

Hi Sanchez83

In previous posts you mention this stove from Henley
    http://henleystoves.com/insert-stoves/the-achill-16-4kw-boiler-insert

Did you actually go for it? Im thinking of getting one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Any advise on best place to go for 6kw room heater stove in Cork?

Looking for a good deal! Traditional multifuel, nothing too fancy will do.

Local builders providers are a good place to start..
    kcb wrote: »
    Any advise on best place to go for 6kw room heater stove in Cork?

Looking for a good deal! Traditional multifuel, nothing too fancy will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Brianne wrote: »
    Our inset stove will not stay burning overnight, it needs to be refuelled pretty often if its to keep rads hot.

no stove will really, going to have to be topped up regulary for any heat, hows ur insulation, amybe ur losing alot of heat

• Advertisement

Hi folks Stanley sent me out some stove paint to touch up our matt cara. It's only the edges really where there are a few scratches. Has anyone any tips on applying the paint? Do you need a particular type of brush or anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Do any insert stoves have a lowish output to room and a high output to radiators? I like the stratford tf90 but would like an insert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I am looking at the Yola 25kw boiler stove for my house. I have 14 rads to heat. It says that the stove is 75% efficient so does this bring the kw output down? Also i dont want to go to all the trouble of fitting a stove only to find out it 'just about' heats my rads as i would prefer it to be able to do it with ease. I had a plumber give me a price and he said i would need about 20kw to the water and 6kw to room.
    I have a 4 bed semi.

Thanks

restive wrote: »
    Do any insert stoves have a lowish output to room and a high output to radiators? I like the stratford tf90 but would like an insert.

We have the Yola 17kw insert 14 to water and 3 to room. If I could have got one with more to the room I would have taken it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

My problem is that my stove is in the kitchen and it gets uncomfortable hot. My existing stove gives 6kw to the room and heats the rads well. Ideally I would like a stratford tf90. It gives 4.5kw to the room and more heat to the rads than my existing stove. But to save space I would like an insert.

Restive our room 16 x 12 ft plus a large double rad which was on the whole winter. We just got the stove last winter and most definitely only for the rad we would not have enough heat atall from stove on its own into the room as 3 from a boiler insert is very little. Its fantastic to heat the rads, we have 2 large doubles and 5 large singles from it. It takes a bit of getting used to from an open fire but we're very pleased with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Have you looked at the Stratford EcoBoiler Range - We got the EB12 last summer and are delighted. We got the stand alone model but there are insert versions too. Apparently they are far more efficient at heating water than the older Stratford models. I can't praise ours highly enough, it is a really great little stove.

Seems to be super efficient on fuel and once the rads get going it doesn't take a lot of fuel to keep them on. We only turned on the oil a handful of times over the last winter and didn't use alot more fuel than we did with our previous stove (charnwood Country 6) which just heated the cylinder and didn't heat any of the rads

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

I've a question in relation to a house that I'm about to refurbish. I'll be installing gas fired central heating but want to have standalone gas fired stoves like the Waterford Stanley Oisin model in two rooms.

There are existing chimneys that currently have 1970s gas fires fitted into them. I want to remove both fireplaces to fit the stoves. What else do I need to allow for? I don't particularly want traditional fireplaces, but obviously the walls around the stoves would need some heat resistant material. Similarly, what do I need in terms of a hearth? Will I need flue liners etc? I haven't gone shopping yet for the stoves, but would like to know the right questions to ask when I do, and also need to know what to ask the builder to provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Galego

Hi lads,

Looking for an insert stove. Not sure what size to go for. It will go in the fireplace for a living room (approx. 3x4 sq m).

Would I notice much different between a 5kw and a 6.6 (or 7) kw?

Was looking at the following models:

Stanley Cara 4.9kw
    Henley Achill 6.6kw

What are your thoughts?

I myself would go with the higher heat output as it can get quite cold during the winter.You can reduce the heat by fueling less and using the air controls in the 6.6kw.In the 4.9 if its not hot enough all the fuel in the world wont push it past 4.9.
    Other factors need to be taken into account also such as the warranty coverage and of course the price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement