Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Plumbing heating 1990s family home 4 beds , hall, living come kitchen gonna situate stove, other family room. 2500 sq feet total house size.
    Rads- 16/17 decent sizes
    Want to over spec the stove rather than under sizing it.
    Gonna slab all ext walls purlin walls and ceilings in 62mm board.
    Oil condensing boiler going in too.

Can you recommend a stove?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

arbf1 wrote: »
    I am back looking for bit of advice on the best freestanding boiler stove to heat 8 double rads, hot water and a room 13ft x 16ft. I have double doors to small kitchen 10 ft x 8ft and single door to hallway which could be left open if room became too hot, room heat is very important in my search. House is 2 bed with 2 further bedrooms on an attic conversion. What is the best on the market for this? Currently have ineffective back boiler and oil. Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Look at Stratford EB16HE or Inis Oir/Meain Mk2 boiler. Both will be able to cover your requirements but get your plumber to do a correct sizing of KW or BTU needs before making final decision. Both excellent stoves and about the best out there at the moment.

howman wrote: »
    In the market for a cassette stove
    Room heat only
    Actual requirements are approx 5kW for the room

We are looking at increasing the size for electricity out, open the doors heat the house senario

Boru seem to well priced but design/style is not exactly cutting edge

Lotus (Denmark) have some very nice designs but your paying for it

Any suggestions of a middle ground or otherwise ?

Check out the Meg range. We have the Meg contemporary insert which gives 4.5k to the room. Very warm stove, very controllable, and nice flush finish. Being sold by Oldens in Cork and they are sole distributor for Ireland I gather.

The RealMcCoy - I've pmailed you...

rumar wrote: »
    Will be putting a stove into a new build and wondering should I tile under the hearth stone that the stove sits on or just put the hearth stone on the concrete floor?

Tiles will work fine. I did it with mine and it worked fine. I just picked a dark tile. Ive even seen people drop the tile level under the stove so they can sweep into it. My brother did that. A very clever and time saving move. Just make sure you have good leg height on the stove but as long as you have 4-5 inches there wont be any danger to the tiles below.

http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=485

looking to purchase a stratford 25kw boiler stove to heat up to 19 rads 2500 sq foot dormer. poorly insulated so trying to dryline and slab as i go along.
    1990 built house. the stratford is pricey enough at 2500 k but is it worth it as can get similiar output boiler stoves at cheaper prices.
    recommendations welcome.
    thanks a lot!

[QUOTE=gomamochi1;

looking to purchase a stratford 25kw boiler stove to heat up to 19 rads 2500 sq foot dormer. poorly insulated so trying to dryline and slab as i go along.
    1990 built house. the stratford is pricey enough at 2500 k but is it worth it as can get similiar output boiler stoves at cheaper prices.
    recommendations welcome.
    thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

You are on the right track and I saw one of them in action (the EB20) over the xmas and it was very impressively doing a nice sized bungalow (2000 sq ft Id say) with comfort. Throw Inis into your mix - especially if room heat is important to you. Not as pricey but still a premium product and will do both room and rads very well. I also saw one of them in action. Very impressed also. As it happens there are a few well priced Inis Stoves for sale on DD at the moment.

You should look at trying to zone your rads in some way though, as thats a tall order for any stove.

But to answer your questions, yes, these stoves are more expensive for good reason and I wouldnt save on them when you are going to be asking them to heat a fairly decent amount of water and house space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

We're currently looking at stoves for a new home non-inset, with an external air input. We plan to have between 10 - 12 standard rads heated from the back boiler. We also plan on having the stove heat the room. Room is pretty large with a vaulted ceiling so getting heat into the room will be important.

Our plumber has recommended Stanley Lismore or Erin stoves. I like the Lismore but was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of alternatives, so I could size up all of my options. We have a budget in mind (1500 - 2000) but could stretch if the product was good enough.

Any help appreciated

PaddyJohn wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not related to the previous post, we are thinking of getting a Stratford EB25. This is to heat a large open plan area and 19 rads.

Does anyone have any experience with this stove?

thanks

HI Paddy did you have any luck with the stratford eb25 as thinking the same myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Lads, iv settled on a Firebird Troy Inset Stove with back boiler for 5 double rads & 5 singles. Im replacing an open fire with back boiler that's not working.Any feedback on these would be really appreciated? I was going to get a "hi flame" but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

• Advertisement

Well lads had a plumber out today talking about a thermal store of a cylinder with direct feed from stove, oil boiler and solar futur proofing. Thinking of putting this 6' cylinder in the hot press and the way it sems to work is you have constant hot water . Anyone have this system in place rather than the traditional elements and coil fed cylinder from the boiler stove? Advice welcome as trying to size stove and this sytem don't require such a large kW output stove as the Stratford eb 25. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

I would buy a HiFlame before I would buy a Firebird.
    Firebird are well known for oil boilers etc,not multifuel stoves.
    They have dipped into the stove trade but have not made any inroads as their product is average and industrial looking.The quality of the workmanship and attention to detail is poor from what I have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

liam7831 wrote: »
    Lads, iv settled on a Firebird Troy Inset Stove with back boiler for 5 double rads & 5 singles. Im replacing an open fire with back boiler that's not working.Any feedback on these would be really appreciated? I was going to get a "hi flame" but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

Also was looking at a Charnwood but that was E1750

I would estimate you need 15-17kw to water.
    Your options are limited.
    Stratford EB16 Insert
    Henley Achill 21kw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

Why would that put you off?

Would you buy an IPhone or IPad from China?

How do you know your stove was not cast and assembled in China or India anyway and the just the glass fitted and painted here to make it Irish?

I always think of this thread when I go into Dunnes and see the packet of sliced pineapple, melon and grapes with the "Love Irish Food" label on the clearly imported produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Originally Posted by liam7831 viewpost.gif
    but I see they are manufactured in China which put me off.

how quaint of teh island dweller

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Well lads had a plumber out today talking about a thermal store of a cylinder with direct feed from stove, oil boiler and solar futur proofing. Thinking of putting this 6' cylinder in the hot press and the way it sems to work is you have constant hot water . Anyone have this system in place rather than the traditional elements and coil fed cylinder from the boiler stove? Advice welcome as trying to size stove and this sytem don't require such a large kW output stove as the Stratford eb 25. Cheers

What output do you require?

padraig.od wrote: »
    We're currently looking at stoves for a new home non-inset, with an external air input. We plan to have between 10 - 12 standard rads heated from the back boiler. We also plan on having the stove heat the room. Room is pretty large with a vaulted ceiling so getting heat into the room will be important.

Our plumber has recommended Stanley Lismore or Erin stoves. I like the Lismore but was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of alternatives, so I could size up all of my options. We have a budget in mind (1500 - 2000) but could stretch if the product was good enough.

Any help appreciated

If room heat is important you have to look at Inis. I've seen it in action. V impressive.

Also consider the Stratford range. Also had first hand knowledge of this and it would fit the bill.

To be fair, I cant fault Stanley but when i had 4 plumbers in a row recommend them to me i had to wonder were they just doing it as its seen as a 'safe' option rather than the best for the customer. It seems to be the default response of Irish plumbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Was in a stove shop yesterday and assistant told me I should run a vent into room above living room where stove will be as we will have false chimney around stove.

Seeing as the room above is the master bedroom I was thinking it might be a great way to heat the room well but wondering is there any drawbacx to doing this, will it be taking alot of heat out of the living area where I really want it.

Still on the look out for a decent 10kw roomheater stove. Man yesterday recommended a stovax stove at €1350. Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Jane98 wrote: »
    Was in a stove shop yesterday and assistant told me I should run a vent into room above living room where stove will be as we will have false chimney around stove.

Seeing as the room above is the master bedroom I was thinking it might be a great way to heat the room well but wondering is there any drawbacx to doing this, will it be taking alot of heat out of the living area where I really want it.

Still on the look out for a decent 10kw roomheater stove. Man yesterday recommended a stovax stove at €1350. Any other suggestions?

Ya I'd say that it would suck some of the heat from the living room into the bedroom. Also ia vent would allow noise travel aswell - not good if there's a TV on and someone wants to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cocoman wrote: »
    Ya I'd say that it would suck some of the heat from the living room into the bedroom. Also ia vent would allow noise travel aswell - not good if there's a TV on and someone wants to sleep.

I'd be more worried about a seal leaking on the flue or a door seal leaking and how easy it would be for carbon monoxide to travel up to the bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about a seal leaking on the flue or a door seal leaking and how easy it would be for carbon monoxide to travel up to the bedroom.

Cheers. Never even thought about that. Decision made now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jane98 wrote: »
    Cheers. Never even thought about that. Decision made now!

Make sure you install co detectors when your stove goes in

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Hi, has anyone bought a Ruby inset (non boiler) stove from King Fireplaces in Athy? It is 5-6KW.

Image here:- http://www.kingfireplaces.ie/products/stoves/ruby_inset_stoves/in-category/inset_stove/

Can't find any reviews online.

Any feedback appreciated. thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Based on the rads you have, the Firebird wont be able to do them all.
    Firebird are not the best brand on Solid Fuel Stoves anyway.

For what you're looking for, you will struggle to find a standard inset boiler to do it. You'd need to look at Kratki or Hestia (Eurpean Built Stoves), but these are physically big stoves so bear that in mind.

Other option is to zone the heating so heat upstairs/downstairs rads separately. then a smaller output stove such as a Henley, Stratford OR Inis would do the finest. Something VERY important to take into consideration is the size of the room that the stove is going into. Inset Boiler Stoves are notorious for giving little heat to the room, so if the room is quite big then stop and have a think about that.

• Advertisement

howman wrote: »
    am a fan of the landscape type designs....don't need a big unit but they look nice!

with installation, floor level or raised 2/3 ft ?

The problem you'll find is that the more landscape you go, the higher the heat output will be. (Not a major problem as the heat you get will always be relative to the amount of fuel you burn).

Have you an opening suitable for a landscape inset stove?

SoapFan27 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone bought a Ruby inset (non boiler) stove from King Fireplaces in Athy? It is 5-6KW.

Image here:- http://www.kingfireplaces.ie/products/stoves/ruby_inset_stoves/in-category/inset_stove/

Can't find any reviews online.

Any feedback appreciated. thanks!

I've never heard of it, and I'd be sceptical in terms of service/spare parts.

However, it does look identical to the Henley Apollo, and Henley is a top brand with a good reputation. Circa the same price, so I'd be much more comfortable with the Henley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi guys

I think I asked this before on the forum but never seen this thread. Dohhhh..

I done up house in 2008, insulated slabbed the external walls, replaced all the rads. I then changed the old oil boiler in 2011-12 to Gas Condenser boiler which is great. Only thing which is still not great is attic insulation but that is another days work

Anyway the fireplace we put in was nice looking and cheap at the time as we forgot it out of the budget for doing up the house. It is absolutely useless for heat. Everything goes straight up chimney. I want to swap out for stove.

There is no back boiler installed at the moment, would there be advantage to putting one in?

Has anyone heard/seen of the Dimplex insert? seen this online and looks good price: http://www.heitonbuckley.ie/plumbing-and-heating/product/dimplex-insert-stove-non-boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

I've never heard of it, and I'd be sceptical in terms of service/spare parts.

However, it does look identical to the Henley Apollo, and Henley is a top brand with a good reputation. Circa the same price, so I'd be much more comfortable with the Henley.

Thanks for replying. Yes I am not too comfortable about the lack of info online about this. They have a youtube video about lighting it which was re-assuring about the function side but for spares and replacement etc as you say, it is worrying. I am visiting showroom this saturday so will see what they say.

Thanks for the Henley suggestion, will look at that also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Any help appreciated

Can anyone offer an alternative to the Standley Lismore? Do you think the plumber has suggested a large enough stove given the number of rads to be heated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Stovax Riva 50 inset stove. The installer is doing all the right things, I think. Air vent, co alarm (though I already have one in the room in question), chimney liner. Installation is pencilled in for 2 weeks time.

I'm keen to have the stove raised a bit so that it is like a hole in the wall. Installer will plaster all around and lay new tiles on the hearth. All the brochures show inset stoves fitted flush to the wall when, in fact, in order to prevent plaster cracking with the heat, you need to put a border of tiles, granite, slate around the stove. I really didn't like what one showroom had - really unfinished looking.

Do any of you nice boarders have a similar set up? What did you choose? I was in tile style earlier and they had 10 x10 cm matt black tiles, one side with a curved edge. That might work.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hi guys

I think I asked this before on the forum but never seen this thread. Dohhhh..

I done up house in 2008, insulated slabbed the external walls, replaced all the rads. I then changed the old oil boiler in 2011-12 to Gas Condenser boiler which is great. Only thing which is still not great is attic insulation but that is another days work

Anyway the fireplace we put in was nice looking and cheap at the time as we forgot it out of the budget for doing up the house. It is absolutely useless for heat. Everything goes straight up chimney. I want to swap out for stove.

There is no back boiler installed at the moment, would there be advantage to putting one in?

Has anyone heard/seen of the Dimplex insert? seen this online and looks good price: http://www.heitonbuckley.ie/plumbing-and-heating/product/dimplex-insert-stove-non-boiler

You'd need to get a good plumber out to have a look at your plumbing to see how a boiler stove could connect, however, it will probably be quite expensive as you could have to change your hot water cylinder. So you could be looking at a couple of thousand before you even consider a stove/flue.

The dimplex is ok, not great. Perfect if your room is very small. The firebox is tiny. But if it is bigger than 12x12 I'd suggest something bigger. Personally speaking, I love the Henley Apollo 5, great stove with large firebox & big glass front.

How big is the room you would be looking to heat?

Can anyone offer an alternative to the Standley Lismore? Do you think the plumber has suggested a large enough stove given the number of rads to be heated?

That stove will not give you enough heat to the room. <5kw to a room with a vaulted ceiling is pointless.

The best stove you could put in is the Inis Meain MK2. The reason I say this is that it will comfortably heat the rads/water for you but also give you up to 9kw to the room as well. By far the largest heat output to room in a boiler stove.
    This retails around €1850

You'd need to get a good plumber out to have a look at your plumbing to see how a boiler stove could connect, however, it will probably be quite expensive as you could have to change your hot water cylinder. So you could be looking at a couple of thousand before you even consider a stove/flue.

The dimplex is ok, not great. Perfect if your room is very small. The firebox is tiny. But if it is bigger than 12x12 I'd suggest something bigger. Personally speaking, I love the Henley Apollo 5, great stove with large firebox & big glass front.

Think I am going to leave the back boiler. Too much cost and only brand new gas boiler installed and spent a good few grand only 2-3 years ago on that. Also just put in Climote to try and reduce the amount of time we turn it on

The room is probably 8m x 4m.....it is a small room so wont take much to heat it. What I would like to do is open door at night and let the stove take a bit of the chill out of the house, so probably looking at bigger firebox.

Also can get logs from Cavan which normally are quite big as both my brother have huge stoves so they just fire them in......no point trying to cut them up

Trying to find a good installer to price and having difficulty....seen this van on M50 this morning, any idea if good? http://www.fireplaceman.ie/index.html

My mate got http://kingfireplaces.ie/ to install? any good?

I guess this is the stove you are talking about: http://www.irelandstoves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=178

It's a big enough room you have all the same, theoretically I'd be recommending a minimum of 7kw. What size is the fire opening?
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    Think I am going to leave the back boiler. Too much cost and only brand new gas boiler installed and spent a good few grand only 2-3 years ago on that. Also just put in Climote to try and reduce the amount of time we turn it on

The room is probably 8m x 4m.....it is a small room so wont take much to heat it. What I would like to do is open door at night and let the stove take a bit of the chill out of the house, so probably looking at bigger firebox.

Also can get logs from Cavan which normally are quite big as both my brother have huge stoves so they just fire them in......no point trying to cut them up

Trying to find a good installer to price and having difficulty....seen this van on M50 this morning, any idea if good? http://www.fireplaceman.ie/index.html

My mate got http://kingfireplaces.ie/ to install? any good?

I guess this is the stove you are talking about: http://www.irelandstoves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=178

Had a Dimplex inset for a few weeks and took it out as pure crap heat output! Better heat out of stove if there is airflow around it!

It's a big enough room you have all the same, theoretically I'd be recommending a minimum of 7kw. What size is the fire opening?

Not 100% sure, I threw a tape on it last night and it was under 16" but that was from one side to another on the inside of back plate....I guess when you pull that out it would be 16". The house was build in 60-70's so I would guess it is standard 16"?

Maybe my room size head measurement is a bit off, would be closer to 4-5m by 3-4m....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Having used this forum to great effect in the last few years I would like to give some feedback on my install as it may benefit someone.
    Have 2200 sq foot dormer, well insulated pumped cavity and well insulated attic.Wanted to install back boiler stove but plumber said it would be a waste of money and to install a stovax dry stove and use the oil central heating as a boost when needed.
    Not having a stovax stockist near me I went with the boru 500.I installed it as per instructions in this thread ,lined the flu and backfilled with vermiculite etc. The stove gives off great heat and as the room its in is open plan, its excellent for heat dissipation.The controls are very straightforward to use although they are poorly finished in my opinion.
    The big glass frontage is one of the reasons I picked this stove I could watch it all evening.I did have to change the glass after a few months as it frosted up .This I think was caused by me putting cleaning agent on to still hot glass.New glass in a few weeks ,cleaning with warm water only when cool.Fingers crossed still clear.
    Fuel usage is not an exact science but we would use a bag of turf and maybe 2/3 well seasoned logs for a twelve hour + burn.
    The riddling system is worse than useless and compares poorly to other manufacturers but is not a del breaker for me.The fire box is huge and allows me to burn big logs of timber so it save me a lot of time cutting timber to smaller pieces.
    Not a stove capable of overnight burn but I load it up before bed and downstairs is nice temp in morning.We use the oil central heating on really cold mornings for an hour to heat upstairs rooms.As this winter has been so mild we have not used it once.
    This is my experience and hope it has been helpful.

Having used this forum to great effect in the last few years I would like to give some feedback on my install as it may benefit someone.
    Have 2200 sq foot dormer, well insulated pumped cavity and well insulated attic.Wanted to install back boiler stove but plumber said it would be a waste of money and to install a stovax dry stove and use the oil central heating as a boost when needed.
    Not having a stovax stockist near me I went with the boru 500.I installed it as per instructions in this thread ,lined the flu and backfilled with vermiculite etc. The stove gives off great heat and as the room its in is open plan, its excellent for heat dissipation.The controls are very straightforward to use although they are poorly finished in my opinion.
    The big glass frontage is one of the reasons I picked this stove I could watch it all evening.I did have to change the glass after a few months as it frosted up .This I think was caused by me putting cleaning agent on to still hot glass.New glass in a few weeks ,cleaning with warm water only when cool.Fingers crossed still clear.
    Fuel usage is not an exact science but we would use a bag of turf and maybe 2/3 well seasoned logs for a twelve hour + burn.
    The riddling system is worse than useless and compares poorly to other manufacturers but is not a del breaker for me.The fire box is huge and allows me to burn big logs of timber so it save me a lot of time cutting timber to smaller pieces.
    Not a stove capable of overnight burn but I load it up before bed and downstairs is nice temp in morning.We use the oil central heating on really cold mornings for an hour to heat upstairs rooms.As this winter has been so mild we have not used it once.
    This is my experience and hope it has been helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trigger78

Looks like what I'm going to get done. Any finished pics also is it worth it

• Advertisement

mags16 wrote: »
    Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Stovax Riva 50 inset stove. The installer is doing all the right things, I think. Air vent, co alarm (though I already have one in the room in question), chimney liner. Installation is pencilled in for 2 weeks time.

I'm keen to have the stove raised a bit so that it is like a hole in the wall. Installer will plaster all around and lay new tiles on the hearth. All the brochures show inset stoves fitted flush to the wall when, in fact, in order to prevent plaster cracking with the heat, you need to put a border of tiles, granite, slate around the stove. I really didn't like what one showroom had - really unfinished looking.

Do any of you nice boarders have a similar set up? What did you choose? I was in tile style earlier and they had 10 x10 cm matt black tiles, one side with a curved edge. That might work.

Yes. I have this done in our sitting room. You'd have to put a border of granite around the stove. That has to be made up of separate granite cuts all tacked onto a backing and put up as a complete surround. The separate granite pieces allow the stone to expand. I got it done in a fireplace crowd. Cost about 250 for the complete unit which was not bad considering there are 8 pieces of granite and they all have to have their edges chamfered so that they match in together. I can email you a pic if you pm me your address. We then wall papered the rest of the chimney Brest and whilst it gets a bit warm, the granite takes most of the heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

bigdawg wrote: »
    I can email you a pic if you pm me your address. We then wall papered the rest of the chimney Brest and whilst it gets a bit warm, the granite takes most of the heat.

Thanks a million for the reply. It sounds like a nice job. I've just pm-ed you my email.

trigger78 wrote: »
    Looks like what I'm going to get done. Any finished pics also is it worth it

Yeah very happy with it .Cant post pictures.pm me an I can e ail one on.Cost overall about 1350 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

A very basic question i'm sure but...

I've started burning coal/cosy glo gems in my Dovre 250 as an alternative to wood. I've been closing the top air vent and opening the bottom when the fire gets going. Is this correct? Any guides i've read indicate that you should only use the bottom vent when starting the fire which works fine for wood but the coal doesn't give off much heat if I only use the top. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

paulers06 wrote: »
    A very basic question i'm sure but...

I've started burning coal/cosy glo gems in my Dovre 250 as an alternative to wood. I've been closing the top air vent and opening the bottom when the fire gets going. Is this correct? Any guides i've read indicate that you should only use the bottom vent when starting the fire which works fine for wood but the coal doesn't give off much heat if I only use the top. Thanks

You use the top vent for wood burning only
    For coal and other fuels use the bottom vent

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

great thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Hi All, great thread..
    House built in 2007 with open fire. Too much wind noise and a waste of fuel being sucked up the chimney have pushed me to look for a stove..
    Looking at an Inis Boffin insert stove. There is a good sale on them in GWY until end Jan BTW.
    Was recommended to install a flexi flue but they are quite expensive-450

2 qtns.
    Any recommended installers in Galway (Tuam area)
    Do we really need the flexi flue? There is no issue currently with the chimney as we light the odd fire there without issues

Blowheads wrote: »
    Hi All, great thread..
    House built in 2007 with open fire. Too much wind noise and a waste of fuel being sucked up the chimney have pushed me to look for a stove..
    Looking at an Inis Boffin insert stove. There is a good sale on them in GWY until end Jan BTW.

2 qtns.
    Do we really need the flexi flue? There is no issue currently with the chimney as we light the odd fire there without issues

You should send a PM to TheRealMcCoy (on this thread). He's from that neck of the woods and is familiar with those stoves also. Im sure he'll put you right.

• Advertisement

Blowheads wrote: »
    Hi All, great thread..

2 qtns.

What's the sale price?

Gordons in Kilkerrin had Inis boffin insets for 850 a few months ago.

Advertisement