Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

bigdawg wrote: »
    I have a Meg Cassette (Meg Contemporary 4.5 its called) and its just superb. 4.5kw in a small room. Looks the biz. Great heat output and great control. One of the best things ive ever bought.

I went with the cassette about or so ago, really great and neat job as it sits flush with surround. I have a 6Kw and the heat from it is incredible, If I have it going any length of time the room is roasted and we just open up the door and it will heat up hall etc....

Really pleased with it and 2,000% better than the fire I had in there, I would have heaps of coal on the fire and no heat, a couple of logs and I now have heat for a good few hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I went with the cassette about or so ago, really great and neat job as it sits flush with surround. I have a 6Kw and the heat from it is incredible, If I have it going any length of time the room is roasted and we just open up the door and it will heat up hall etc....

Really pleased with it and 2,000% better than the fire I had in there, I would have heaps of coal on the fire and no heat, a couple of logs and I now have heat for a good few hours....

looking to get something like similiar to replace a gas fire we have in our sitting room. can I ask if it was much bother installing it and what kind of price i would be looking at. any links to places that sell them would be welcomed aswell.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Anyone recommend Heat Design free standing stoves ?

looking to get something like similiar to replace a gas fire we have in our sitting room. can I ask if it was much bother installing it and what kind of price i would be looking at. any links to places that sell them would be welcomed aswell.
    Thanks

Fire me PM....first post on thread is not to discuss pricing....

I did go with the Vitae http://ballymountfireplaces.ie/products/cassette-stoves/vitae-6-kw/

Very happy with it, it was posted on here that the dust box is small and I think I have that in the back of my mind all the time....probably wouldn't have known any better if it wasnt mentioned....

Not a huge thing for me, it is never overflowing. I can burn all day and night and then will empty the next day, normally the removal tray is just full.....very easy to remove to empty

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Fire me PM....first post on thread is not to discuss pricing....

I did go with the Vitae http://ballymountfireplaces.ie/products/cassette-stoves/vitae-6-kw/

Very happy with it, it was posted on here that the dust box is small and I think I have that in the back of my mind all the time....probably wouldn't have known any better if it wasnt mentioned....

Not a huge thing for me, it is never overflowing. I can burn all day and night and then will empty the next day, normally the removal tray is just full.....very easy to remove to empty

Got the vitae 6KW put in last thursday aswell. Hoping to light it tonight, I should have moved faster as the weather is so much milder this week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

SoapFan27 wrote: »
    Got the vitae 6KW put in last thursday aswell. Hoping to light it tonight, I should have moved faster as the weather is so much milder this week :)

Small fires at first.
    Keep buying fuel through the summer.. So easy then when winter arrives and your stocked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭funstuff

Has anybody any dealings with thestoveshop in New Ross Co Wexford ?

moonshadow wrote: »
    Small fires at first.
    Keep buying fuel through the summer.. So easy then when winter arrives and your stocked up.

Yes thanks we got advice to do the small fires at the beginning so have done 3 small ones so far.

Anyone know of a stove guard that is childproof?

This Crannog one is lovely but it says it is not childproof, don't think door is secure enough.

http://www.topline.ie/plumbing-and-heating/cooling-and-heating/fireside-accessories/fireside-accessories/crannog-hearth-surround-stove-screen-42in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

This Crannog one is lovely but it says it is not childproof, don't think door is secure enough.

http://www.topline.ie/plumbing-and-heating/cooling-and-heating/fireside-accessories/fireside-accessories/crannog-hearth-surround-stove-screen-42in

http://www.babydan.com/page1073.aspx?recordid1073=190

I've this at home.

It's unused though (still in box) as we never went ahead with stove.

If anyone is in dublin and interested in it feel free to PM me.

I bought this one, it can screw into the wall and there is also option to screw into the floor. I just have it screwed into wall

Have a 18 months old and she has given it a good testing so far and no issues with it....

the doors that open have a little catch as well on it to stop it opening

I love it, looks great and very good protection from fireplace and stove

Got it direct via ebay from Crannog.....worked out cheaper than most of the UK supplier due to the poor euro rate

I bought this one, it can screw into the wall and there is also option to screw into the floor. I just have it screwed into wall

Have a 18 months old and she has given it a good testing so far and no issues with it....

the doors that open have a little catch as well on it to stop it opening

I love it, looks great and very good protection from fireplace and stove

Got it direct via ebay from Crannog.....worked out cheaper than most of the UK supplier due to the poor euro rate

Big Nelly, thanks for feedback, much appreciated. Can she open the door or do you think she will manage to when she's a bit older? Do you think there is a way of adding a more secure lock to it? My daughter is 27 months and very curious!

Big Nelly, thanks for feedback, much appreciated. Can she open the door or do you think she will manage to when she's a bit older? Do you think there is a way of adding a more secure lock to it? My daughter is 27 months and very curious!

First time she seen all I got was "WOW",....haha

She more or less goes around the outside of it banging it checking for weak points. then will try and pull it from the top to see if she can knock it over. As mentioned I have it screwed to wall and it is stable so far. You can screw to floor but I have expensive wooden floor so didn't want to drill into it....

The door catch is not the most robust piece of metal. It just slips down onto a latch. But there is magnets on the doors so when you close they stay closed.

So far so good but no idea when she gets older if she will try harder. At this stage she is bored of it and doesn't go near it anymore.

I am really happy with purchase. All the other types I seen are like the argos cheap metal things which look awful and cheap, ruin the look of fireplace and in sitting room as well.....

I think this looks very nice and blends in well with the stove...

First time she seen all I got was "WOW",....haha

She more or less goes around the outside of it banging it checking for weak points. then will try and pull it from the top to see if she can knock it over. As mentioned I have it screwed to wall and it is stable so far. You can screw to floor but I have expensive wooden floor so didn't want to drill into it....

The door catch is not the most robust piece of metal. It just slips down onto a latch. But there is magnets on the doors so when you close they stay closed.

So far so good but no idea when she gets older if she will try harder. At this stage she is bored of it and doesn't go near it anymore.

I am really happy with purchase. All the other types I seen are like the argos cheap metal things which look awful and cheap, ruin the look of fireplace and in sitting room as well.....

I think this looks very nice and blends in well with the stove...

Yes I really like the look of it too! Thanks for all the info!

Bit of an odd question but someone might know

I bought the stuff below to protect the little one from hitting her head off fireplace, as I have put in stove and bought guard above I have removed it from the edge

Issue is the hearth was left with all this sticky crap which I can't seem to get off. If you look at pic you can see the double sided tape it uses.....any idea's how to get off without damaging the hearth?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009M61WKA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

I bought the stuff below to protect the little one from hitting her head off fireplace, as I have put in stove and bought guard above I have removed it from the edge

Issue is the hearth was left with all this sticky crap which I can't seem to get off. If you look at pic you can see the double sided tape it uses.....any idea's how to get off without damaging the hearth?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009M61WKA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

If your hearth is granite , be careful using powerful kitchen cleaners

k123456 wrote: »
    If your hearth is granite , be careful using powerful kitchen cleaners

Thats the issue......dont want to damage it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

Baby oil and little bit of white vinegar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Get a bowl with water & fairy wash up liquid not the antibacterial one just normal fairy . Now get j-cloth & soak it in the liquid & wipe it on the hearth , once the hearth is wet a good few scrapes with your finger nail should remove it . Worked for me on granite worktop when the husband left some expanding foam dry on it. Let us know if it works for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Got new boiler installed and plumber did a few other things for us. One thing we found, whoever did the plumbing originally didnt fit a one way valve on the pipe out to the boiler. Therefore the water being heated by the back boiler of the stove was going out to the oil boiler outside then back in, so losing heat in the process! Plumber fitted the valve now and did seem to be a bit more heat after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Insert stove installation.

Can someone tell me how exactly an insert stove is connected to an existing 9" clay flue?

I assume that a reducer is connected to the clay flue and sealed with fire cement. Then a short length of straight 5" or 6" (depending on size of flue from stove) is connected to the reducer and fire cemented again.A 45 degree piece is then connected but my query is in relation to the final connection into the collar on the stove.

How is this final connection done and fire cemented?

It's a Henley Apollo 5kw insert going into a standard open fire ope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

cocoman wrote: »
    Insert stove installation.

Can someone tell me how exactly an insert stove is connected to an existing 9" clay flue?

I assume that a reducer is connected to the clay flue and sealed with fire cement. Then a short length of straight 5" or 6" (depending on size of flue from stove) is connected to the reducer and fire cemented again.A 45 degree piece is then connected but my query is in relation to the final connection into the collar on the stove.

How is this final connection done and fire cemented?

It's a Henley Apollo 5kw insert going into a standard open fire ope.

The internal plate comes down held in place with 4 -13mm bolts. Place flue pipe to this held in with 4mm Allen key grub screws and fire cement this then push up through hole to connect to chimney adaptor you need to be on you back in the stove push connecting flue pipe and plate up into adaptor then bolt this in place then rebuild stove and replace all baffles carry out smoke test.

Robbie.G wrote: »
    The internal plate comes down held in place with 4 -13mm bolts. Place flue pipe to this held in with 4mm Allen key grub screws and fire cement this then push up through hole to connect to chimney adaptor you need to be on you back in the stove push connecting flue pipe and plate up into adaptor then bolt this in place then rebuild stove and replace all baffles carry out smoke test.

Cheers Robbie. Do i just put some fire cement around the last connecting flue pipe before pushing it into the flue adaptor?

Cheers Robbie. Do i just put some fire cement around the last connecting flue pipe before pushing it into the flue adaptor?
    Yes and make sure you have a co detector fitted as well

Yes and make sure you have a co detector fitted as well

Spot on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kingjp1st

Can anyone recommend an insert stove with back boiler?, I reckon I require approximately 21kw stove.

We're building an extension which is starting in the next 4 weeks and the builder said it would help if we knew what stove we were getting.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arbf1

Hi can you please recommend a stand alone stove with back boiler to heat 5 double rads and 3 single rads....heat to the room (13ft x 16ft) is a priority as well as hot water and rads all help hugely appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arbf1

also anyone heard of pierce stoves, based in Wexford I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Been in the market for a non boiler inset stove and in discussing with a few suppliers we came across a stove by a company called HeatDesign - anyone know of them or of the quality of their products ? They look good in operation on the showroom floor but just wondering if anyone had experience of one ? I think they're made in the UK ?
    Comments or advice welcome ! Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

They are a mid range product.
    Overall they are decent.If you are getting a good price work away.
    Made in China but wouldn't worry about that as they are in the stove business a while so should have a reliable back up service etc should you ever need it.
    It's only non branded(or trusted brand)product you should be worried about in that regard.

• Advertisement

Henley Druid 21kw would probably suit your needs.Becoming very popular on the market from what I hear from a few plumbers.

Hi KingJP,
    Stratford EB16 would be regarded as the best insert boiler 21kw on the market.
    The only other I'm aware of is the Henley Achill 21kw.

Hi Arbf1,
    Pierce stoves are new to the market.
    Pierce engineering was owned by Waterford Stanley at one stage.
    Pierce engineering name was sold I think(maybe to a member of the Pierce family,I'm not sure).
    They decided then to use the name and get into the stove game.
    Stoves manufactured in China but again decent quality.
    Couldn't say I've heard of any major issues with them but they are a small outfit.
    Last I checked they were still registered as sole traders and not a ltd company ( could be changed since).

Been in the market for a non boiler inset stove and in discussing with a few suppliers we came across a stove by a company called HeatDesign - anyone know of them or of the quality of their products ? They look good in operation on the showroom floor but just wondering if anyone had experience of one ? I think they're made in the UK ?

This is my update from last December, I have a Heat Design Fire Warm inset 5kw stove, I was having problems with the stove in the beginning but running fine now, not swealtering like I was promised but definitely wouldn't need a radiator in the room.

"Just to update this, I finally got in touch with the manufacturer the second week in January. I have to say they were fantastic once I got in touch, they offered to come out and inspect the stove at no cost but in the meantime talked me through lighting the stove, what to expect and when and how much to close the vents. Within a week the temperature started going up and now I can get up to 27degrees after two hours and half a bucket of stove coal. I've been using ash logs too but they have to be quite short as the fire box is small, and the ash is hard to chop with an axe. It turns out it was just a matter of tweaking the ventsand reloading small and often, which isn't explained in the manual or by the installer. I probably wouldn't buy that particular stove again as the fire box is a pain but would buy from the manufacturer, the customer service is really good. Thanks for all your help".

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gunners111

kingjp1st wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an insert stove with back boiler?, I reckon I require approximately 21kw stove.

We're building an extension which is starting in the next 4 weeks and the builder said it would help if we knew what stove we were getting.

Thanks

i have recently installed the stratford eb 16i happy with it overall very good to heat hot water 12 to 14 rads and showers ,takes a while to start to heat the room which is a pretty large open plan,
    this stove has a large fire box so will need a good amount of fuel to get water up to temp, but when it does is economical enough. not a cheap stove though I bargained mine down to 1600 euro

virgo69 wrote: »
    This is my update from last December, I have a Heat Design Fire Warm inset 5kw stove, I was having problems with the stove in the beginning but running fine now, not swealtering like I was promised but definitely wouldn't need a radiator in the room.

"Just to update this, I finally got in touch with the manufacturer the second week in January. I have to say they were fantastic once I got in touch, they offered to come out and inspect the stove at no cost but in the meantime talked me through lighting the stove, what to expect and when and how much to close the vents. Within a week the temperature started going up and now I can get up to 27degrees after two hours and half a bucket of stove coal. I've been using ash logs too but they have to be quite short as the fire box is small, and the ash is hard to chop with an axe. It turns out it was just a matter of tweaking the ventsand reloading small and often, which isn't explained in the manual or by the installer. I probably wouldn't buy that particular stove again as the fire box is a pain but would buy from the manufacturer, the customer service is really good. Thanks for all your help".

Do you know if the stove is connected to the existing flue or was it just slotted into the existing fireplace opening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Hi all,

We've noticed creosote tar running down our stove pipe and onto our stove top. Produces some smell. Just trying to figure out what should be done? Ive read there's a powder you can burn that apparently turns the tar into more flaky consistency that can be brushed. I'm thinking if it's running down the pipe there must be quite a build up in the chimney and perhaps a liner is what's needed. In any case, advice appreciated. Thanks

Do you know if the stove is connected to the existing flue or was it just slotted into the existing fireplace opening?

As far as I know it was slotted into the existing fireplace. I asked the manufacturer was a clay pot adaptor required and they said no. I did ask the installer should it be connected to a flue and he said it wasn't necessary and as far as I know someone on here also said it wasn't necessary with this kind of stove.

• Advertisement

Hi, I got a heat design Vitae 6KW fitted 2 weeks ago. Happy so far, have lit about 7 fires. I was worried 6KW might be too high for a 4m x 4m room but it's not, working out great, open the door after it's been on for a couple of hours and let the heat move around the hall etc.

Will report back with any issues. Here is an image of it.

photo(2).JPG

sAFs6O.jpg

Hi, I got a heat design Vitae 6KW fitted 2 weeks ago. Happy so far, have lit about 7 fires. I was worried 6KW might be too high for a 4m x 4m room but it's not, working out great, open the door after it's been on for a couple of hours and let the heat move around the hall etc.

Will report back with any issues. Here is an image of it.

photo(2).JPG

sAFs6O.jpg

Nice job,.......

Just one question, have you had any issues with the glass getting dirty from the fire? it seems every so often after I have a good fire going the glass will be dirty, not sure what I am doing wrong

Nice job,.......

Just one question, have you had any issues with the glass getting dirty from the fire? it seems every so often after I have a good fire going the glass will be dirty, not sure what I am doing wrong

Thanks. Yes we started getting some dark, dirty marks too just yesterday. I've found this thread, going to try a couple of suggestions here. Two things that jumped out at me is that turf is a dirtier fuel, wood has to be very dry and also from reading the manual it says the secondary air is an airwash and designed to keep the glass clean so maybe I'll try keeping that a bit more open to see if that helps. Although I never close it so think it may be the turf or having the wood too close to the glass, our logs are fairly big!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429828

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Just goes to show that people are still hiring 'the local lad' to fit a potentially deadly device to save a few euro rather than getting a professional out to do it.
    Darwin awards at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Leave youre airwash open all the time its designed to keep the glass clean.

eas wrote: »
    Hi all,

We've noticed creosote tar running down our stove pipe and onto our stove top. Produces some smell. Just trying to figure out what should be done? Ive read there's a powder you can burn that apparently turns the tar into more flaky consistency that can be brushed. I'm thinking if it's running down the pipe there must be quite a build up in the chimney and perhaps a liner is what's needed. In any case, advice appreciated. Thanks

What ever fuel you are burning is far to wet to be burnt so stop that straight away. Get a professional chimney sweep/Stove fitter to inspect stove and chimney with a view to cleaning to new again. Once cleaned, a liner is recommended but most of all, ONLY BURN CLEAN DRY FUEL.

• Advertisement

Only leave it open about 15/20% max, this is enough to keep the glass clean (assuming you are using good clean dry fuel) but not open too far as to let too much air into the stove so it runs very efficiently.

On Vitae, there is primary and secondary. Primary is to start the fire and secondary is air wash. Below is section from manual, it also says a few pages down "After the fire has become established close the airwash until it is
    approximately 25% open and use the primary air control to set the burn
    rate" so I have been leaving the secondary(airwash) just 25% open as this is suggested.

If I leave fully open will it not burn very quickly? Just wondering. Thansk

Section
    If you want clean glass, always leave this control open some way whilst burning unless the stove is being shut right down for a long period. Moving
    the sliding control towards the wide side of the arrow (to the right)
    increases the burn rate whilst moving it towards the narrow side (to the left)
    reduces it

Only leave it open about 15/20% max, this is enough to keep the glass clean (assuming you are using good clean dry fuel) but not open too far as to let too much air into the stove so it runs very efficiently.

Yes I was advised leave it about 20% open to run it efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 timaros

Hi we are currently in the last stages of completing our new house and our plumber has recommended the Stanley Reginald Stove for us, however upon reading reviews etc., I am not convinced. Has anyone any recommendation for a stove similar in size etc to the Reginald but a better stove???

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kingjp1st

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Hi KingJP,
    Stratford EB16 would be regarded as the best insert boiler 21kw on the market.
    The only other I'm aware of is the Henley Achill 21kw.

Sanchez83

Thanks for getting back to me with your recommendations. I think the stratford EB16 would provide more than enough heat for the water but I'm a little worried that the heat to the room wouldn't be adequate. A few people on boards were disappointed with the heat output to the room. The room is a fairly large open plan kitchen/dining/ living room although there are 3 rads in this room.

I reckon I need about 13kw at least for the water. I was hoping to get something a bit more contemporary looking although I'm not sure if this exists.

Thank you again

• Advertisement
Advertisement