Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

BarryD wrote: »
    Dare say a photo might help!! :)

I don't have one on me I'm afraid...the stove is in another location. I was just throwing it out there in case someone knew of a place that might deal in such things...a half cranked hinge isn't something that your normal hardware supplier seems to stock! (...understandably so!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Hi all,

Looking to buy an inset stove for room 4.5mx4.5m to fit in place of regular size fireplace. Have a budget of 800 euros. Don't think the chinmney needs the stove pipe as house was bulit in 2005.

So any recomendations out there?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

Hello,
    I currently have a 45KW non condensing oil boiler and have recently divided the system up into 4 zones (Main living room, downstairs, upstairs and hot water cylinder). I would like to add a boiler stove to the system and thinking we would need a 30KW stove (7KW to room and 23KW to heating/water). When the stove is active the oil boiler would need to be bypassed/disconnected and two zones would be active (Hot water and downstairs).
    Any recommendations on stoves and/or how to connect the boiler stove into the existing system? Have looked at and spoken to Systemlink about the Heat Genie but they say it only works with systems up to 30KW and its only available in a 3/4" pipework - my heating system is in 1".

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

USER X wrote: »
    Hello,
    I currently have a 45KW non condensing oil boiler and have recently divided the system up into 4 zones (Main living room, downstairs, upstairs and hot water cylinder). I would like to add a boiler stove to the system and thinking we would need a 30KW stove (7KW to room and 23KW to heating/water). When the stove is active the oil boiler would need to be bypassed/disconnected and two zones would be active (Hot water and downstairs).
    Any recommendations on stoves and/or how to connect the boiler stove into the existing system? Have looked at and spoken to Systemlink about the Heat Genie but they say it only works with systems up to 30KW and its only available in a 3/4" pipework - my heating system is in 1".

I have put a system link in with a stove with back boiler and condenser boiler. It works great but the electrician had lots of trouble sorting out the system link and ended up putting an extra stat upstairs to control the back boiler. Its costly to instal but very efficient once up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Question moved to main thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KathleenS

I am considering fitting a 'central heating stove' and would welcome comments on either of aboveboard or indeed recommendation on other brand - I need one that can heat up to 10 radiators plus keep sitting room cosy
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Incredible thread! Highly informative.

I have a few decisions to make and a few challenges to overcome in selecting a stove, hopefully someone here can help?

We are almost 100% sure that we want a Boru 900i or similar landscape insert/cassette stove.

However, I believe that because this stove has turbines/fans inside that it needs a mains electrical feed.
    • Does this mean that if for some reason, if we end up without electricity over the winter, we cannot use the stove?

One of our challenges is that the current, existing fireplace is very narrow so we'll need to dig back and widen it. The house is timber-framed but it's a block chimney (not blue block). Does this matter? What challenges do people see in that scenario?

The house was built in 2007 and has clay liner in the flue...do we need other flue liner?

All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

We got a boiler stove in a few years back. It is so efficient to use heating and water costing us less than 9.00 euros per week so far this year and we havent used oil at all this year although it was a very mild winter. I couldnt recommend it enough. We live in a 4 bed bungalow with 10 rads (some doubles) running off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

We got a boiler stove in a few years back. It is so efficient to use heating and water costing us less than 9.00 euros per week so far this year and we havent used oil at all this year although it was a very mild winter. I couldnt recommend it enough. We live in a 4 bed bungalow with 10 rads (some doubles) running off it.

Sounds good, could you give more details:

- type of stove and output in kw
    - what fuel are you using
    - is the €9 summer price/winter price/average price.

Thanks.

Just would help with decision making to hear from people like you that have real experience over a few winters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Surely a mistake - couldn't possibly be €9.00 a week, unless you are processing and burning plenty of your own 'free' firewood or turf?

A 40kg bag of coal is running near €20 and we'd go through at least one a week and that's mixing it with firewood.

As a guide to others and I've mentioned this before, we have a Waterford Erin stove with boiler heating 10+ single panel rads of various sizes plus water. Plus a smaller Waterford Shire (non boiler) in largish sitting room. We'd on average daily burn a scuttle of Country Blend, a half of anthracite plus a good armful of firewood. Less on milder days in spring/ autumn and more when it's bitter cold and so on. Works out at about 30 bags coal, 15 anthracite and a small shed of firewood per year. Typically less than €1000 but that depends on how and if you cost the time and labour to process firewood. House is two storey, about 150 sq metres, mixture of new and old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Interesting thread. Thanks.

I got a Heat Design Vitae 18 installed a few weeks ago. Hooked up to back boiler. Standard 3 bed semi detached house, 8 rads. Burning logs.

Have been playing around with it but not getting satisfactory amount of heat. Rads around the house going lukewarm and amount of heat into room is pretty low.

For example I've had it lit for nearly 3 hours today. Put maybe 6 decent sized logs into it over that time. Nice glow and burn going on, but not a lot of heat.

Where am I going wrong? More logs? Start introducing coal? Get installer back?

Plan was that stove would significantly reduce reliance on oil. Doesn't feel it can at the moment.

Peckham wrote: »

I got a Heat Design Vitae 18 installed a few weeks ago. Hooked up to back boiler. Standard 3 bed semi detached house, 8 rads. Burning logs.

Have been playing around with it but not getting satisfactory amount of heat. Rads around the house going lukewarm and amount of heat into room is pretty low.

For example I've had it lit for nearly 3 hours today. Put maybe 6 decent sized logs into it over that time. Nice glow and burn going on, but not a lot of heat.

Plan was that stove would significantly reduce reliance on oil. Doesn't feel it can at the moment.

Others will have there view but as far as I can judge, firewood is grand for a stove that's heating one room. But if you want a constant heat that will drive a central heating system, you need coal/ anthracite as well. That said, there are obviously pelleted wood boiler systems that do this but I know little about these and how much they use etc.

You get out what you put in minus what you lose up the chimney. A further contributory factor in my exp is the length of time the stove is lit, best suited to a building that's occupied 24 hrs and stove lit early in day or early afternoon etc.

Hi,
    Looking from a room heater Stove.

We want something simple looking, and something you could have ticking over rather than melting you.

Room size is 5m x 4.8m walls are 2.65m high going to 4.1m high with a vaulted celling. Window size is 2.35m wide x 3.25 high. reasonably well insulated.

Anyone have any experience - good or bad with any of the Cleanburn, Yeoman or Stovax stoves.

The Cleanburn model is the Skagen 6-9kW it's a new model so wondering on the manufacturer in general more than the stove model.

The Yeoman is the CL5 with a 2.5 - 7kW range.

The Stovax might be :-
    The Stockton 6 (3-7kW), or the Stockton 7 (4-9kW)
    The Huntingdon 28 (3-8kW)
    The View 5 (2.5-7kW) or View 8, (4-11kW)

Been looking for a few weeks now and there are models from these manufactures that we like the look of but don't know enough about them to make a decision yet.

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭loki7777

HI
    Thinking about buying Henley Porto 400 Cassette - shop offered us fiiting to the base of chimney and that would be €1350(stove 950, rest 400). Question is do we need flue liner(the quoted us extra 300) or is it better to take one just in case something would go wrong. House was build in 2008 chimney not used at all so in that place will go Porto.
    We won't be getting any surrounding - we will use Stegu decorative stone.

Any one have this stove and stegu and could share some pictures?

Any other cassette stoves in this price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annetuohy

I would highly recommend the Inis range, great power out of them, great heat very good air control system so you can actually turn it up and down for the room, they have a convection and clean burn system as well as a heavy duty grate so you can successfully burn any fuel. a lot of so called muti fuel stoves wont combust coal correctly. No where near as expensive as the ones you are looking at but are rated the same.

all the ones you have listed are fairly high end stoves, your already in the point of going on aesthetics more so then specifications. really you should be picking the one that is the best matched to your room. you should get the room assessed and they will tell you what kw you need. now if you do this make sure you don't get someone who just comes in and measures the room, thats not assessing. you need a good fitter to check your wntilation check the chimney the pull the drafts, what leads off of the room, i mean something as simple as having an extractor fan can make a difference to the running of your stove.

A good place to ring and ask questions is oriel flues in ardee they run the HETAS training course for fitters and have all the rating books available they are happy to help people with queries.

Hi,

We want something simple looking, and something you could have ticking over rather than melting you.

Room size is 5m x 4.8m walls are 2.65m high going to 4.1m high with a vaulted celling. Window size is 2.35m wide x 3.25 high. reasonably well insulated.

Anyone have any experience - good or bad with any of the Cleanburn, Yeoman or Stovax stoves.

The Cleanburn model is the Skagen 6-9kW it's a new model so wondering on the manufacturer in general more than the stove model.

Been looking for a few weeks now and there are models from these manufactures that we like the look of but don't know enough about them to make a decision yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭The lips

Did anyone get any word on what the Stanley offer will be at the ploughing championship on Tuesday?

Or remember what it was last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diesel21

I'm in the process of buying a stove in between two at the moment the Stanley Erin,or a Boru stove.
    Any first hand experience with eider.which one has better heat output.if eider stove gives any trouble etc etc
    Thanks

Diesel21 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of buying a stove in between two at the moment the Stanley Erin,or a Boru stove.
    Any first hand experience with eider.which one has better heat output.if eider stove gives any trouble etc etc
    Thanks

I've been looking for a few weeks now and people have said the Boru give trouble and out of all the stove's that's the one I've been warned to stay away from by loads of people, having said all that the father in law has one and he really loves it but he only has it about 12 months. I have ruled it out of my search because of that but I do like the look of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Diesel21

I've been looking for a few weeks now and people have said the Boru give trouble and out of all the stove's that's the one I've been warned to stay away from by loads of people, having said all that the father in law has one and he really loves it but he only has it about 12 months. I have ruled it out of my search because of that but I do like the look of them
    Interesting to here that.i had yet to talk to someone with bad reports about the Boru.what sort of trouble do the give do ya know.
    Stanley always had a good name but is it true that in the past few years there manufactured in China
    It's a lot of money so want to make the right decision first off

Interesting to here that.i had yet to talk to someone with bad reports about the Boru.what sort of trouble do the give do ya know.
    Stanley always had a good name but is it true that in the past few years there manufactured in China
    It's a lot of money so want to make the right decision first off

Like I said the father in law has one and he has no complaints at all and he is a real fussy fecker, we were set to get one as he was happy enough with his but just went looking in general and without us mentioning a word about Boru we were told in a few shops "well whatever you buy stay away from Boru" we asked why and they just gave the impression that they had bad experiences with them, "well we won't stock them any more" type thing,
    Also my neighbour told me they were giving trouble, works for some building company that does renovations and they fitted about 60 in some development about a year ago, he told me that six had been faulty in different ways, I didn't bother asking to much as I had already been told by the shops as well so I just ruled them out.
    We have also been put off the Stovax as well but mainly over the price.

It's a shame as we like the look of them and without going to the shops, maybe ordered online we would be all set now, stove in etc. but I heard enough to put me off.

I think we are now going to buy a Cleanburn Skagen 9kW. or an Arrow Ecoburn plus 9 or 11, (opinions please)

It seems like everyone has something to say about stoves but if you listen to all the people you will never buy anything.
    This stove thing has really wrecked my head.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Waterford Erin installed for c.15 years - solid and heavy build. Manouevring it into place required a bit of effort. No particular trouble, though a I'd need to replace the grate sometime - couple of holes opened up last year or two. No idea if it was made in Ireland or overseas and can't compare - most people will just have one larger stove like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

Hey guys. Came across a Hota 7kw insert for e775. Cant seem to find much info on them and their website is under construction. Anyone got experience of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

We had a gas fire installed in the house originally, but it's a standard chimney which we had the option of fitting a gas or ordinary fireplace.
    I wonder if a solid fuel stove/fire could replace the gas fire, and if more flue work is involved. We seem to be getting conflicting advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Peckham wrote: »

You are not putting enough fuel into it or your logs are high in moisture.
    A stove is like a car,will burn a larger amount of fuel getting started and requires less once you get into 5th gear.
    You would prob need to be burning 4 logs the first hour,3 the second,2 the third assuming they are good and dry.

Hi,

Your room dimensions would mean you need a 6/7kw stove.
    This would narrow it down to Stockton 7,View 8 or Skagen 9.
    I've seen the Skagen once before but don't know much about them.
    The View 8 would be a popular stove so would be the one I would recommend.

Stovax and Yeoman are the same company.

loki7777 wrote: »
    HI
    Thinking about buying Henley Porto 400 Cassette - shop offered us fiiting to the base of chimney and that would be €1350(stove 950, rest 400). Question is do we need flue liner(the quoted us extra 300) or is it better to take one just in case something would go wrong. House was build in 2008 chimney not used at all so in that place will go Porto.
    We won't be getting any surrounding - we will use Stegu decorative stone.

Any one have this stove and stegu and could share some pictures?

Any other cassette stoves in this price?

The stove will operate better with a flue liner.
    Your chimney is probably in good condition so the reason for the liner is based on higher stove performance.

The lips wrote: »
    Did anyone get any word on what the Stanley offer will be at the ploughing championship on Tuesday?

Or remember what it was last year?

I have heard that they are only running the offer this year with a retailer from Laois who will have a stand at the ploughing champs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭The lips

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    The reason for the liner is based on higher stove performance.
    How much better?

The lips wrote: »
    How much better?

Not possible to quantify until after I am afraid.
    Every house and chimney is different.
    Reducing your chimney from 8" to 6" makes air control better plus you have less chimney to heat meaning more heat for your room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

The stove will operate better with a flue liner.
    Your chimney is probably in good condition so the reason for the liner is based on higher stove performance.

Looking at stoves at the moment. Have been told by large Dublin shop that they will inspect chimney with cctv and lining is only a safety issue not performance.

Hard to get conclusive evidence on this issue.

• Advertisement

Inspecting a chimney is only a safety issue,correct.
    It can't determine improved performance.
    But from experience,I can tell you a flexible liner improves the performance of 9/10 stoves.

And it cost only about € 300- a lot cheaper then rebuilding chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

Mashie wrote: »
    Hey guys. Came across a Hota 7kw insert for e775. Cant seem to find much info on them and their website is under construction. Anyone got experience of them?

Anyone?

loki7777 wrote: »
    And it cost only about € 300- a lot cheaper then rebuilding chimney.

A figure closer to a grand was mentioned!

But from experience,I can tell you a flexible liner improves the performance of 9/10 stoves.

Ok, I take it you work in the trade?

So I nearly have my mind made up, was 70% going for the Cleanburn Skagen, or 30% the Arrow ecoburn 9 Plus.
    now I have seen the Dru 55 MF,
    looks very similar, about the same size output, about the same price and the guy in the shop is telling me "nothing wrong with the Cleanburn or Arrow but the Dru is better quality, better made and should last longer" I looked at everything about it and it does look well made, really good feel to it.

I am not looking at ANY MORE STOVES,

Please can anyone comment on the Dru, they get very good reviews online but has anyone on here got one or have any feedback on them, I'm buying on Monday or Thursday depending on work so please do tell.
    Many Thanks.

Inspecting a chimney is only a safety issue,correct.
    It can't determine improved performance.

I got more detail on this and they said they clean chimney, then do camera inspection, then test the chimney draw using smoke pellets. If it passes these tests they say a flue liner is a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

Hi Vote for Pedro,

We have a Dru 44 multifuel fitted with over 3 years. It still looks as good as the day it was installed and the heat is fab. Would absolutely recommend.

Mashie wrote: »
    Anyone?

It's an ok stove for a good price.
    New company only on the market less than 12 months so jury is still out.

• Advertisement

So I nearly have my mind made up, was 70% going for the Cleanburn Skagen, or 30% the Arrow ecoburn 9 Plus.
    now I have seen the Dru 55 MF,
    looks very similar, about the same size output, about the same price and the guy in the shop is telling me "nothing wrong with the Cleanburn or Arrow but the Dru is better quality, better made and should last longer" I looked at everything about it and it does look well made, really good feel to it.

I am not looking at ANY MORE STOVES,

Please can anyone comment on the Dru, they get very good reviews online but has anyone on here got one or have any feedback on them, I'm buying on Monday or Thursday depending on work so please do tell.
    Many Thanks.

Again Dru are a very good stove.
    Wouldn't rate them any better than the others you mentioned though.
    Retailers like Dru over other brands as they don't supply to too many people in Ireland so they know there is a high likely hood they will get the sale on a Dru if they push it.
    If I were you I would pick which ever you prefer and is ok on the pocket.
    You couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I got more detail on this and they said they clean chimney, then do camera inspection, then test the chimney draw using smoke pellets. If it passes these tests they say a flue liner is a waste of money.

If the draw is ok and the chimney is in good condition then you will get away without using a liner.
    But I would never say it is a waste of money.It is logical that it will require more fuel to heat an 8" chimney to a 6" chimney.7 days a week for let's say 25 weeks a year for 20 years would easily be worth the cost of a liner.
    But that's just my opinion.

Hi Vote for Pedro,

We have a Dru 44 multifuel fitted with over 3 years. It still looks as good as the day it was installed and the heat is fab. Would absolutely recommend.

Many thanks,
    good to here from someone who actually has one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I have ordered the Elm stove with a fireplace and stove stockist and they gave me an additional cost (optional) called Flexi. They said they recommend it for all installations but depending your chimney, some may be required. It is apparently supposed to be to do with getting the smoke out of the stove into the chimney, and out of your house safely.

Is this correct and what are people's thoughts on this particular "optional" extra? Is it indeed worth it or is is just one of those throw ins that sales try to flog?

Also would it stop rain coming down the chimney? At the minute when it rains we can hear drops falling down on the grate when we don't have a fire on

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

I'm thinking of purchasing a French antique stove. I have a period style fireplace. Would this be a simple enough install? Or would there be other factors I would need to take into consideration? Thanks.

I have ordered the Elm stove with a fireplace and stove stockist and they gave me an additional cost (optional) called Flexi. They said they recommend it for all installations but depending your chimney, some may be required. It is apparently supposed to be to do with getting the smoke out of the stove into the chimney, and out of your house safely.

Is this correct and what are people's thoughts on this particular "optional" extra? Is it indeed worth it or is is just one of those throw ins that sales try to flog?

Also would it stop rain coming down the chimney? At the minute when it rains we can hear drops falling down on the grate when we don't have a fire on

Flexi flue linear - I took it and paid extra €300-I think it will be worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

That is a flex flue liner
    Basically lines the chimney and connects directly to your stove.

Probably safer to have one in,
    and stove will likely be more efficient.

Do you need one ...............
    Depends on the age and condition of your chimney,
    The output in kw of your stove (not sure this used as much as a criteria any more)

Doesn't seem to be any downside to using other than cost ........... so do you need one.

Loads of info and for and against in this any other threads.

Go to a good installer (someone you trust/ ask locals for recommendation) and get them to have a look. (Handier than frying your head trying to learn about them and still having to go for professional advice!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Hi, I don't know much about stoves other than they are cute. A friend had one and it was great for heat and burning paper rubbish.
    I have a small 3 bed semi with open fire & kerosene- both heat the radiators.
    The open fire is lovely in the cold weather, but it doesn't throw that much heat out. And the rads would hardly be warm at all.
    Haven't bought kerosene for over a year and got along with an extra fleece / dimplex elec rad if the room would be really cold.
    I was trying to post a link of a house that is for sale across the road to show what type / size of open fireplace I have but it's pretty standard. I can't seem to post links yet. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

SeaFields wrote: »
    We are trying to decide on whether to fit a non-boiler or boiler stove at the moment. There is already oil central heating in the house but we have plenty of turf so either way we'll be fitting a stove.

Is it possible to fit a boiler stove to compliment the oil heating? Be it that we would be able to switch from one to the other for heating everything or just use one for rads and one for water?

And is it a big job/ expensive to install the boiler stove if we already have a heating system in place? The house is a three bedroomed bungalow with ten rads varying in size. The hot water tank is about two metres from the fire place across the hallway and through two walls.

Any input / past experience welcome

I fitted a Stanley boiler stove about 8 weeks ago.
    To complement my condensing oil burner. Best thing I ever did. I already had a back boiler fireplace linked into my oil system via a system link setup. Just Google system link and their site has all the layouts you will need to get an idea if what you want is affordable. I'm a pipefitter/fabricator by trade and the build quality of the Stanley is the best bar none going on welds, plate thickness and general fitting quality. If you want to pm me I can send you some photos of my set up and roughly what it cost. I did it in stages so I wouldn't guess what a plumber would cost

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Hi we have a riva 55 installed in dec 2014, i have noticed our glass becomes black every time we use, we can't see clean burn working properly, we use seasoned wood .

Secondly we can hear air noise from out side in the stove when its not lit . also too much smokes comes in when we refuel it. what should we do or is it normal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement