Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mrtom wrote: »
    My recently installed stove, a Fireline FX 5W, smokes when I open it for refuelling, even with an open window to ensure air flow..

The install has 2 meters of flue lining then joining the existing flue. There is a downdraught cowl fitted. I am happy with the stove otherwise. The fireplace has always had a good draught with an open fire used before.
    Thoughts welcome

What do you burn ?

I burn hardwood and find if I a) open the door very slowly and b) wait until the wood is down to glowing embers, I won't generally get smoke but it still does happen sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thanks for the help on the fuel. Got stove coal today and the difference is like day and night. Not even a full load of coal has lasted three hours, heat off it is incredible.

22758700939_5ff4b479a9_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Urgent question. We have a Boru 600i inset stove (non-boiler) that was fitted yesterday. The fitter packed rock wool around the back and sides of the stove.

He did not put any insulation under the stove, which is testing on one inch of mortar, on top of two rows of blocks lying on their sides. The stove is therefore about 18 inches from the floor.

He also did not put any insulation on top of the stove or around where the smoke outlet pipe meets the stove.

This doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone advise me of the following:

Do I need insulation under the stove?
    Do I need insulation on top of the stove and around the pipe?

What type of insulation should I look for? Vermiculite? Ceramic roll? Something else?
    Any idea where to source the appropriate material in South Tipp if needed?

Hi there, essentially your stove is sitting on a concrete base like any other would..all good. You obviously wanted a raised type set up.
    With regard to sides and top, it should be stuffed with rock wool or vermiculite.
    If you have a stainless flue that should also be vermiculite from top down. Or rock wool on top and the pipe.
    It's not the total end of the world if it's not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

MarkN wrote: »
    Thanks for the help on the fuel. Got stove coal today and the difference is like day and night. Not even a full load of coal has lasted three hours, heat off it is incredible.

22758700939_5ff4b479a9_c.jpg

Looks good.
    What brand of coal did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    What do you burn ?

I burn hardwood and find if I a) open the door very slowly and b) wait until the wood is down to glowing embers, I won't generally get smoke but it still does happen sometimes.
    Smokless and wood.
    I may have found a solution after research though:

A reason for installing a flue liner is to improve the draw. This is the air flow through the flue that encourages your stove to light and to burn. A relatively narrow flue pipe encourages a better draw, which is likely to mean your stove heats up more quickly and burns more efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hoping for some advice. I'm not used to stoves but looking to put one in this wknd. The option is to put an 8kw in the sitting room which is about 4x3meters. It's oversized but we hoped it might heat the house somewhat. The suggestion is the Dimplex westcott 8 but after seeing it, we wondered if the firebox might be small for turf. Would be great if anyone hear might have any advice for us. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Triboro wrote: »
    What would be best floor tiles around a stove to take all that heat? Think someone mentioned porcelain before, would they be ok?

We used quarry tiles set in bed of mortar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hoping for some advice. I'm not used to stoves but looking to put one in this wknd. The option is to put an 8kw in the sitting room which is about 4x3meters. It's oversized but we hoped it might heat the house somewhat. The suggestion is the Dimplex westcott 8 but after seeing it, we wondered if the firebox might be small for turf. Would be great if anyone hear might have any advice for us. Thanks

Not much heat from turf and lots of ash..

Not much heat from turf and lots of ash..

True compared to coal but poster may have a good supply of turf at low or little cost :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

About to pull the trigger on a room heater.

Anyone have any experience with the Hamco Morgan 10kw dry stove?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pat_power

Hello

I have recently had a trinity kinsale 17Kw stove with a back boiler installed in the sitting room. On the side of it is a dial labelled one to ten and I am not sure what this dial is for. I have read the manual that came with the stove and it has no mention to what this dial is or what it controls. Does anyone know what this dial controls? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Paddy

pat_power wrote: »
    Hello

I have recently had a trinity kinsale 17Kw stove with a back boiler installed in the sitting room. On the side of it is a dial labelled one to ten and I am not sure what this dial is for. I have read the manual that came with the stove and it has no mention to what this dial is or what it controls. Does anyone know what this dial controls? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Paddy

More than likely controls the air damper, letting more or less air in as you wish, which will in turn control how hot the fire burns (and how much fuel you use).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Devrobia

pat_power wrote: »
    Hello

Regards
    Paddy

This Dial is your thermostat control. Number one being 50 degrees water temperature and 10 being 120 degrees water temperature. There is a sensor attached to the thermostat that reads the water temperature at the top of the boiler.

For example if you have your dial set to number one then once the water temperature reaches 50 degrees its starts to close down a damper allowing air into the stove in turn lowering the burn rate.

The higher the setting on the dial the longer the damper will stay open and the hotter the stove and water temperature will be.

Factory setting for this thermostat would be number 5.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've a 20kw boru boiler stove since 2012, at the end of last year it was only barely heating the room. This year there is no heat what so ever from it. The chimney is cleaned once a month and the thermostat dial is working. It gave off excellent heat in the first few winters but its a disaster now. Anyone any idea what could be wrong? Its also rusting away nicely on the inside, I should have went for a cast iron stove :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Had a Henley Achill 21kw fitted this week with new fireplace and I'm delighted with it.
    Only issue and its cosmetic and down to the builder of the house originally.
    The chimney Brest is wider by about 10mm one side it was fine looking with an open fire as you couldn't tell but to have the stove square to the heart and not look visually crooked there is a gap between the new fireplace and chimney brest in one side which I'll have to get filled somehow as it too big for caulk.
    Not a major issue just annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I've a 20kw boru boiler stove since 2012, at the end of last year it was only barely heating the room. This year there is no heat what so ever from it. The chimney is cleaned once a month and the thermostat dial is working. It gave off excellent heat in the first few winters but its a disaster now. Anyone any idea what could be wrong? Its also rusting away nicely on the inside, I should have went for a cast iron stove :mad:

Have you changed the type of fuel you're burning?

cocoman wrote: »
    Have you changed the type of fuel you're burning?
    No, the usual fuel coal and timber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Any suggestions how to clean the glass. Been trying stove glass cleaner but not much luck...

Any suggestions how to clean the glass. Been trying stove glass cleaner but not much luck...

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Damp kitchen towel dipped in ashes will clean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

HG Stove Glass Cleaner gently rubbed across glass with fingers (while wearing rubber gloves), leave a minute or two + wipe with slightly damp sponge cloth. Sorted!

Doesn't really make sense. Is the fire in the stove burning properly? It's either burning well or it's not. If it is, you should have plenty of heat thrown out. If it is burning well and the boiler is not working, i.e. the water is not getting hot - I'd be getting concerned and you should get a plumber in before lighting it again as this might/ would indicate that the water in the boiler circuit is not circulating. If the water can't circulate and is boiling, you could be in big trouble quickly!

There's no way you should need to get a chimney cleaned once a month?? If the fire is not burning properly in the stove, maybe you have insufficient air supply or draw in the chimney. Get it checked out.

If it's rusting on the inside, either you are using it rarely, burning wet fuel and/or have rain water coming down the chimney into the stove - get a rain cowl fitted.

BarryD wrote: »
    Doesn't really make sense. Is the fire in the stove burning properly? It's either burning well or it's not. If it is, you should have plenty of heat thrown out. If it is burning well and the boiler is not working, i.e. the water is not getting hot - I'd be getting concerned and you should get a plumber in before lighting it again as this might/ would indicate that the water in the boiler circuit is not circulating. If the water can't circulate and is boiling, you could be in big trouble quickly!

There's no way you should need to get a chimney cleaned once a month?? If the fire is not burning properly in the stove, maybe you have insufficient air supply or draw in the chimney. Get it checked out.

If it's rusting on the inside, either you are using it rarely, burning wet fuel and/or have rain water coming down the chimney into the stove - get a rain cowl fitted.
    I clean the chimney myself. The fire is burning properly. The water in the boiler only gets lukewarm and the pump is circulating. There's no water coming down the chimney and the timber is well seasoned. Boru stoves are made from steel rather than cast iron which could be the reason for the rust. Like I said it was working perfect up to the end of last winter.

I clean the chimney myself. The fire is burning properly. The water in the boiler only gets lukewarm and the pump is circulating. There's no water coming down the chimney and the timber is well seasoned. Boru stoves are made from steel rather than cast iron which could be the reason for the rust. Like I said it was working perfect up to the end of last winter.

Well, if the fire is burning well in the stove and you have sufficient fuel in it, then it must be throwing out heat??

When you say the water in the boiler only gets lukewarm, do you mean the boiler, the hot water cylinder or the radiators? There will be flow and return pipes at the back or side of the stove, the flow is normally higher taking the heated water away from the boiler in the stove. When the fire is lit, is this hot? - take care. Assuming it is, feel the return pipe - it should be a good deal cooler, the water having been off around the circuit and coming back to the stove. If when the stove is lit and burning well for a couple of hours, these are respectively hot and warm - then all should be OK. If when the stove is lit and burning well for a couple of hours, these are cool or cold, don't light the stove and go get a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Hi ya,
    Putting in a little 6k stove in the sitting room, we had a 16" fire back in it, last week i started on it, i took out the old fireback and was hoping to go up 8 " and take 5" out each side, she wanted it set in to the fire place.. Like the ones in the mags, anyway, what i thought was an 8" lintil above the the fireplace was a flue gatherer, so that put paid to the stove being set into the fireplace, anyway, we have to have the stove on the hearth, my question is, the stove pipe will now be coming out the back instead of the top and up the chimney, what angle of pipe is sufficient to get a good draw on the stove, there's was a great draw on the old fireplace...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

folks, had decided to go for an Kratki Antek stove @ 495 yoyo but saw Right price tiles had the Heritage Gweedore on special with 23% off ( normal price 690 ) so its damn close to the same price.

Is the Gweedore a much better yoke ? The Kratki looks better imo but if the other is easier to install and better I think I might buy that.

What's the opinions pls ?

Thanks
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

RobAMerc wrote: »
    folks, had decided to go for an Kratki Antek stove @ 495 yoyo but saw Right price tiles had the Heritage Gweedore on special with 23% off ( normal price 690 ) so its damn close to the same price.

Is the Gweedore a much better yoke ? The Kratki looks better imo but if the other is easier to install and better I think I might buy that.

What's the opinions pls ?

Thanks
    Rob

The Kratki is a decent stove.Only negative is you cannot burn coal.Price seems very cheap though...I'd imagine you must purchase frame separately and purchase vents for the wall for it,
    Gweedore is a common Chinese cassette available by a different name on Chinese websites.Its quality is only ok.But damn it's an ugly yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    The Kratki is a decent stove.Only negative is you cannot burn coal.Price seems very cheap though...I'd imagine you must purchase frame separately and purchase vents for the wall for it,
    Gweedore is a common Chinese cassette available by a different name on Chinese websites.Its quality is only ok.But damn it's an ugly yoke.
    thanks, if I am honest I would like the Kratki Jas as its the best looking by far and probably more than enough output for us. I am only a little put off by the amount of work it will take to install it.
    any opinions ?

Any suggestions on how to get this glass clean?

370188.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

370188.JPG
    Did you try mine and / or Sam Kade's suggestion up further?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Generally when that bad no matter what the solution you use its going to involve ALOT of elbow grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

370188.JPG

I had this grief last year and I bet that some stuff other than very dry wood and smokeless fuels were burned in it.
    Have a similar one and was not as careful last year with our combustibles , changed glass this year due to white residue in the glass. All good so far with clean fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Try using a wet newspaper dipped in ashes,works for me.

Basq wrote: »
    Did you try mine and / or Sam Kade's suggestion up further?

Sorry didn't realise that post worked yesterday as I had issues with picture file size and it didn't seem to upload.

I've been trying using ashes but has not worked maybe I just need to go longer at it. Will pickup a bottle of cleaner also.

mgn wrote: »
    Try using a wet newspaper dipped in ashes,works for me.

Agreed,I use this method every day and the glass is like it only came out of the box. Wet paper,dip in the ash and clean the glass in circular motion,then polish off with another piece of newspaper

Guys what's the most cost effective fuel to use. I was thinking of getting in a load of logs or turf.

I've an insert boiler stove by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

funnyclub wrote: »
    Guys what's the most cost effective fuel to use. I was thinking of getting in a load of logs or turf.

smokeless ovoids

smokeless ovoids

And logs.

smokeless ovoids

I take it these aren't as hot a coal and safe for stoves?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

As other posters have said, ashes but wood ash, not coal or turf. At least in my experience. If it's very stubborn a kitchen pot scrub (a soft one! Nothing harsh or abrasive to scratch the glass - I use of those rectangular green ones you get everywhere and preferably after it's been used to scrub a few pots and softened a bit) sprinkled with a little clear vinegar and then dipped in the ash. Hasn't failed me yet.

• Advertisement

Cost effective? That depends on what you're paying for above. If you can get cheap or 'free' timber or turf (the price of your labour), they may not produce as much heat as coal or anthracite but will be a lot more cost effective.

I take it these aren't as hot a coal and safe for stoves?

They burn much hotter than coal and are entirely safe in a stove.

They burn much hotter than coal and are entirely safe in a stove.

Any recommendations on a type or brand.

I burn Staffords Country Blend. Little expensive €23 per 40 kg bag or €100 for 4 . Find it excellent.

Fookin idiot I can't type €100 for 5 bags

Thanks guys I think I'll pick up some dry hard wood and use the stove coal as well rather than going down the turf route.

Only have the stove running since Saturday and probably loading it wrong and burning through more fuel than I actually need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I burn Staffords Country Blend. Little expensive €23 per 40 kg bag or €100 for 4 . Find it excellent.

Fookin idiot I can't type €100 for 5 bags
    http://www.staffordfuels.ie/index.php?contentid=smokeless-fuel-range
    A premium smokeless ovoid blend of Pet Coke, Manufactured Ovoids and Union Nuggets , suitable for use in both open fires and closed appliances alike with an attactive flame and low ash content.

Theirs Pet Coke in that. Awful sh1te altogether. Ruins stoves. And you're paying a good €5/6 over the odds of an actual good quality ovoid aswell...from an Irish supplier.

Ok

http://www.staffordfuels.ie/index.php?contentid=smokeless-fuel-range

Theirs Pet Coke in that. Awful sh1te altogether. Ruins stoves. And you're paying a good €5/6 over the odds of an actual good quality ovoid aswell...from an Irish supplier.

What do you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Hi, was searching posts to see what I could get on the Lismore. I have one installed for 2 years and I am so disappointd with it. I get very little heat to the room and the radiators are just warm. I burn coal and wood. The stove itself never gets really hot...it's possible to put your hand on it. What could I be doing wrong. My room is a double room but even if you sit up close to the stove it's no warmer. I would love to get this sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

How many radiators have you off it?

Advertisement