Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Clothes

Options
  • 15-09-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering,is eleven weeks too early to buy some maternity clothes? Im already busting out of my jeans and my work pants, as it is i am sitting in work with my button open and zip half down :(

But if i buy maternity trousers/jeans now, and i going to have to get more in a few weeks time? :confused:

I got button extenders but they are Sh1t, and keep falling off, and I tried the hair tie around the button and through the button hole which is fine when walking but not when sitting in work.

Im afraid one day ill stand up and forget my trousers are open and over-expose myself!!

Just looking for a bit of advice :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You can get maternity trousers which have extended waistlines so they can do you most of your time. I had 3 pair and they did me from 14 weeks until 38 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Personally, it's more about the cost of the clothes than anything else. I don't have the money for them so I just find myself going into Penny's and buying bigger sizes. And I've only started doing that (though I got away with my own jeans for ages).

In saying that you need to be comfortable in work as well so you might as well invest in one or two smart black maternity trousers. You'll be able to wear them over and over without anyone noticing much - unless you're a very dressy person usually.

I haven't actually bought maternity trousers so I can't say how long they will last/fit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Sharrow wrote: »
    You can get maternity trousers which have extended waistlines so they can do you most of your time. I had 3 pair and they did me from 14 weeks until 38 weeks.

Where did you buy these Sharrow?

And Nicowa im more of a tracksuit bottoms and jeans girl, I dont get any pleasure from dressing up, id rather have to buy as little as possible, but yeah i do need to be comfy in work.. as ill be here till March :( (wishes she was a kept woman :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I have 3 pairs of maternity trousers from the last time I was pregnant - they lasted me from whenever I needed to start wearing them right up to when the baby was born. They're getting their second airing now so have proved to be a worthwhile buy! I wouldn't spend a fortune on them though, you will only wear them for a few months. Got most of my stuff in NEXT.

asos.com aslo seems to have reasonably priced maternity clothes:

http://www.asos.com/Women/Maternity/Bottoms/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=8345

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

I wouldn't splash out on maternity clothes, just go next size up in your ordinary clothes, maybe by one pair of work type maternity trousers, if you are not to short like me, I bought a pair of maternity trousers and I had to get them turned up as they where really long. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I bought them in http://www.dorothyperkins.com
    Two pair which were like combats with pockets on the legs cos not having pockets would have driven me made and one pair of smart black trousers.

One size up is not an option for everyone and can look awful depending on a person's shape and figure. When you are tired and suffering morning sickness and feeling like a big lump you need to have at least 2/3 sets of clothes which are going to fit and feel comfy no matter what.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

All my maternity clothes did me from 10 weeks to when the girls were born:)
    I recommend over the bump trousers.
    Buying clothes in bigger sizes was a disaster for me as they did not fit at all.

Have a look on e-bay and adverts.ie.

Newlook and H&M have some nice stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

What about leggings? I used to weear alot of long tops and leggings when pregnant. Comfortable and cheap. You can get some nice maternity jeans in next, mothercare, new look and i think wallis or one of them does them too. They are usually around 40euro an upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

New Look do really cheap Maternity clothes. They have jeans from €22 and black trousers from €17, well worth it for the comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd second buying over the bump trousers. I bought over the bump combats and jeans in h&m at 18 weeks and I was still wearing them up to the end. I bought a lovely pair of non over the bump maternity trousers in topshop and had to shop wearing them at 30 weeks.

I found h&m and Dorothy Perkins great; I never saw anything nice in next and got most of my tops on penny's just a size bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

qwertytlk wrote: »
    What about leggings? I used to weear alot of long tops and leggings when pregnant. Comfortable and cheap.

+1, leggings are brilliant! A size bigger out of Penneys are great for going right up your bump. When you're wearing big knickers too, it's great to have a long top/dress/tunic covering up your ass and the very attractive 'big knicker line'!
    I bought quite a few long vests too, which allowed me to layer some 'normal' tops and shirts over trousers for a while without having to buy new stuff.

The one thing worth investing in, in my opinion, is a really good supportive pair of flat shoes, especially if you're on your feet a lot at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

As some people said buy a bigger size. This worked for me, I just went up a size. I actually got them in a charity shop, you might pick up maternity clothes in there too. I could not justify paying a fortune for them when I wouldnt be wearing them for too long. I also managed to find two pairs of over the bump jeans someone was selling on rollercoaster but I have to say they are only after starting to get comfortable now as they kept falling down all along. I am 35 weeks today!
    Have a scout around you will find something! Even on ebay and donedeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

i personally couldn't have bought a size up in normal clothes as bump didnt like the normal waistband on pants after 20 odd weeks

h and m have jeans etc which did me up to 33 weeks- then bump happened to change shape so they dont stay up anymore... tops wise I found new look handy for 2 packs of long sleeve tops
    also look in debenhmas, they had a sale lately, I got a black maternity pants suitable for 13 euro........ so shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I shopped around and picked up bits on sale or on offer and just bought a very small few bits at full price. I have all my clothes from last year when expecting my first, so didn't have to buy much this time round at all. Normal clothes a size up just didn't work for me either, I guess it just depends on how the bump develops, and where the weight gain is.

I got from several places, Next were pricey but I learned from a friend if I bought anything clothes to there sales time to keep the receipts and re-buy in the sale at half price or less and return with your full price receipt (got my full money back no problem)

I bought from Dorothy Perkins but always either when they had a sale of with discount code on-line in sterling prices Tried a few bits on it store so I knew which sizes, found them big fitting in general. They have 25% off till this Sunday.

I got some bits in H&M & Debenhams although my closest one'd don't carry much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you put on weight besides bump it is easier to wear normal clothes if you only put on the bump it is impossible to wear normal clothes.
    I think it makes a big difference if you have to go to the office every day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Does anyone know where to buy a maternity jacket/coat for under €80? I've looked and pretty much everything I've seen is €100+. And I will need one cos I'm not due til Dec...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

not sure about coat - but i found a fab black dress (pretty plain knee length with elbow length sleeves - sounds doudy but the neckline means its not!!) in next , you can change the belt on it to any different colour you have and accessorise with different matching bags etc and it looks v.different each time! Think im just gonna wear it 80 % of my nites out until feb!!
    Actually did u try asos.com for a coat? my friend got a nice one on there but i think it may have been 100euro.
    topshop maternity makes me look disgusting.....does it need to be soo clingy... im only a size 10-12 normally and it manages to give me the most unflattering lumos and bumps imaginable - however the jeans are good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

nicowa wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to buy a maternity jacket/coat for under €80? I've looked and pretty much everything I've seen is €100+. And I will need one cos I'm not due til Dec...

I'm going to get myself one of these from A-wear. Dunnes are usually great for big winter coats. I've never bought an actual maternity coat, just a big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got mine in Dorothy Perkins last year. I think it was €100 but was worth it because I wore it from November to October. Newlook usually have cheaper ones; I originally got one there but all the buttons fell off in the first week so I returned it. The dp one was much better quality. You could check out dp and then buy online. They're always doing 20% off online purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

M&S usually do a few different coats and jackets that are generously sized. I know the knee length parka type I got last year is covering my bump with no problems at all this year. I'm due in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    New Look do really cheap Maternity clothes. They have jeans from €22 and black trousers from €17, well worth it for the comfort.

yep i def agree! i bought 2 jeans in newlook. sooo comfy! they should last me for the few months. im 23 weeks and there is def room for bump so fill into the big band that goes over the bump. def worth buyin 2/3 of them. im using them for work and home with a few tracksuits so i should be grand. will be considering wearing them post pregnancy too just cos they are so comfy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

nicowa wrote: »

ive only recently realised im goin to have to buy a winter coat!!:eek: im disappointed cos i love the one i have. im due in january so def will need one. also im always cold and dont seem to be experiencing the radiator effect of pregnancy some ppl do! :p

I got my maternity winter coat in New Look (2 years ago) but i'm wearing it again now. It was the one thing about being pregnant that I really liked, it's a lovely cobalt blue colour. I'm sure they will have winter coats coming in again shortly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I found maternity coats were ridiculously expensive, so I just got a coat that was a size too big, and it worked wonders. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm going to start looking for a winter coat soon. There are plenty of non maternity styles that are quite loose so I'll probably just get something in a bigger size, or maybe a cape type coat or something? Really don't want to spend loads on something I'll only be wearing for a couple of months! (Due in early December)

With New Look trousers I'd advise you get a size bigger than your usual pre preg size. I got some when I first started showing but the jersey band isn't that stretchy so they're quite uncomfortable on my bump now. Annoying because the next size up is a bit too big on my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Im afraid one day ill stand up and forget my trousers are open and over-expose myself!!

sorry i just laughed there ha ha thats something i'd do but i'd prob go one step further... while walking my trousers would fall down and i'd probably trip over them and be left in a heap on the floor with my backend stuck high in the air.. ..

im 5 weeks and i think i'll be the same as you at 11.. i was overweight before i got pregnant trying to lose weight lost 8 pounds but thats all gone out the window now.. I still had some weight on my tummy ha now in the evenings it's like i expand!!!! i dunno but with the body shape i am at the moment i dont think i could hide it for long" if you need to buy materinity feck it, you'll be much more comfortable plus you wont have that paranoia of exposing yourself :) they do gorgeous clothes now for pregnancy.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

yeah i got maternity jeans in next 2 weeks ago.. why did no one ever tell me about them before they are soooooooooooooo comfy, i may never go back to normal jeans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I only put on weight around my belly so my trousers and jeans still fitted me everywhere else until I gave birth. I used men trouser braces left my button and zip open and wore long tops to cover the gap. I was lucky with the time of year because I had my first baba in January so wearing multiple layers and long jumpers didn't look unusual. I also work from home so didn't need to wear a suit to work and had lost some weight before getting pregnant so a lot of my tops were a big on me to begin with. Then I bought normal jumpers 2 sizes bigger than I usually wore when the others got too small.

I'm due my second in April and plan to do the same again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement