Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in games: Should they be invulnerable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah those Lamplight ****s were annoying. Call me a Mungo will ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

More games should be like BUlly ( canis canem edit )

Coming home from a bad day at school , great to take my frustration by stinking a classmate head in the toilet
    :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Prefer if they're there, i find it eerie when it's all adults.

I don't mind if you can kill them or not, be better if you could for some sense of realism or at least have a reason for it when you can't other than that's the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

If they are there, then it's just as fair-game to kill them as it is to kill... well, everyone else. I don;t think they should be indestructable. In fact, if they were used correctly, they could be quite cool. I always loved the sinister little dude in the hoodie in Flatliners, or that evil little bastard in Robocop 2. If games used kids right (regardless of whether or not they got killed for their actions), it could be quite impressive, and hit a raw nerve that's not often hit.

Sand wrote: »
    Where they are present they should be destructible.

If game designers are worried about players going on killing rampages through their game GTA 4 style (which resolved the kids issue by having no kids present) then build in some consequences to a player going on a killing rampage off kids, women or random punters.

Theres a time honoured tradition of grabbing pitchforks and torches when confronted with a murder. If someone is going around depopulating villages, then the global AI of the game should respond rationally by spawning a mob of concerned citizens that relentlessly pursues the player and overwhelms them. It should be a global 6 star police chase which never "resets". In game rampages would then be minimised by the fear of being detected, hunted and killed.

The indestructible kids thing is just lazy pandering to fears of media backlash. They dont want "Ban this sick filth" headlines, but they dont want to invest much effort into building a rational AI response to some maniac slaughtering locals at will.
    yeah or BG style rep decrease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

bluewolf wrote: »
    yeah or BG style rep decrease

In fairness your a child of the God of Murder, it's totally good for your rep.

The indestructible kids thing is just lazy pandering to fears of media backlash. They dont want "Ban this sick filth" headlines

Which is actually kinda odd, because I reckon that those kinda headlines sell a hell of a lot more videogames than they do newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

deathrider wrote: »
    The indestructible kids thing is just lazy pandering to fears of media backlash. They dont want "Ban this sick filth" headlines

Which is actually kinda odd, because I reckon that those kinda headlines sell a hell of a lot more videogames than they do newspapers.

Doesn't equate to a games quality though, manhunt being an example of moral outrage over what was a woefully **** game.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

dont really care, dont think i'd notice if they weren't present in an open world game. But if they were in there they should be killable (?). It's a game. not much logic there if you can brutally murder any fecker strolling around but cant touch the kidz.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Doesn't equate to a games quality though, manhunt being an example of moral outrage over what was a woefully **** game.

Personally, I loved Manhunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Should we be allowed kill children in games...

iw58nk581wrg6dhviptg9lx6zth7zp4w1.jpg

Yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

they are just pixels so yeah kill em, either dont have them or let them be killed simples, what i hate are those really annoying s***s like the kids from fallout 3 which you couldnt kill :mad: il be buying skyrim for my pc so i can mod it :D speaking of which are kids even in skyrim? cant remember if they where in oblivion or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I don't mind not being able to kill child-characters in games but a little effort needs to be put in by the developers who forbid it.

The fiction needs to be consistent - the game should not allude to the player having complete freedom in all other combat situations, bar this one. Also, no combat animation should occur if the victim will, inexplicably and jarringly, receive little or no damage.

I just don't want to see bullets harmlessly ricocheting of a child character, in a game that purports some degree of realism. In a FPS I'm usually happy enough with the 'dipping your gun' convention to prevent shooting of friendly NPCs but, as it takes control away from the player, this does not fly in 'complete player freedom' games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

seen my mate bash ones head in in dead island this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

penev10 wrote: »
    In the Sims you can become romantically involved and impregnate adults, should you be able to do this to children too?

There's probably a mod for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it called pedo bear mod?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So shooting an airport full of fully grown civilians is ok, but killing the odd kid isnt? Fúck that shít.

So shooting an airport full of fully grown civilians is ok, but killing the odd kid isnt? Fúck that shít.

Eh... I don't think that level ever even came near "ok" status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

If there is, I hope it makes it so that if anyone sees the adult and child sim doing anything weird, the child protection services woman comes around and takes the child away XD That'd be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The Sims: Gary Glitter edition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The closest thing to that level of depravity is probably that Japanese fighting game which features rape-related finishing moves (called something like Rape Fighter / Battle Raper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

deathrider wrote: »
    Eh... I don't think that level ever even came near "ok" status.

it was perfectly okay in terms of what the developers were trying to achieve with that particular narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Imo, if kids can die in Movies why not games - but the thing is you are asking gamers here when the real issue is the non gamers who I imagine are the very reason this limitation is there.

I don't really care about it all that much though either way.

Advertisement