Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How soon can I start to wear a new pair of runners?

• 15-09-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just got my new LunarGlides 3 and I am wondering how long I should take to break them in?

I'm doing a half Marathon at weekend so dont want to get any unwanted pains before that. Thinking of doing 8 miles tonight in them, would that be a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

nellocono wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Just got my new LunarGlides 3 and I am wondering how long I should take to break them in?

I'm doing a half Marathon at weekend so dont want to get any unwanted pains before that. Thinking of doing 8 miles tonight in them, would that be a bad idea?

I got mine on Sunday and did 4 miles on Tuesday. Back to my older shoes last night and new ones again tonight and then a long run in them on the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've never really bought into the whole breaking shoes in thing. First time I wore my lunaracers I went for a 15 mile run. Not that I'm saying people should do that...

Do people still break shoes in even if they've worn the same model before?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I personally think that shoes do need to mould to your arch type which only happens after a couple of wears...

Its kinda like if you put on someone elses shoes you can feel how weird they fell as they dont match your arch, so that would be what I define as breaking them in is... Gonna go for 8 miles tonight in them but will bring the old runners just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Do people still break shoes in even if they've worn the same model before?

If some one kills a shoe off completely before changing there may be a readaptation of the body to the new shoe.

Most people take calf tightness, shin splints and the like as indicators that the shoe is gone. At this point the shoe is long gone and the limbs are being tested for stabilisation, leading to strains.

By bringing in a change of shoe earlier, if you know you get 700km from a shoe, bring the replacement in at 600km and alternate. You stretch the life of both shoes, one pair is always resting, and you eliminate the breaking in period.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If some one kills a shoe off completely before changing there may be a readaptation of the body to the new shoe.

Most people take calf tightness, shin splints and the like as indicators that the shoe is gone. At this point the shoe is long gone and the limbs are being tested for stabilisation, leading to strains.

By bringing in a change of shoe earlier, if you know you get 700km from a shoe, bring the replacement in at 600km and alternate. You stretch the life of both shoes, one pair is always resting, and you eliminate the breaking in period.

Out of curiosity, do you think it's necessary to have a long breaking in period. Hattori's aside I haven't had a breaking in period in years. I might do a short run the first time I go out in a pair of shoes but I'd generally happily go out and do 10 miles + in them after that.

P.s up to 9 miles in hattoris. Maybe I'll be up to 40 by the time conn ultra comes around. :D
    Edit: That's just over a month and only a handful of runs to get to 9 miles - felt no issues whatsoever running in them tonight. Maybe I'm just a freak? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If it's a change of brand or type you need to give yourself a couple of runs to get used to the change.

Like for like generally the answer is no. More advanced runners (people) are ususally more in tune with their bodies and recognise when to wind up the distance or to pull back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

I always use the same brand of shoe - Nike Pegasus - and I've never had to break shoes in as such, I just change over when I buy them and keep running as before. I've had no problems doing this.

Advertisement