Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 years unclaimed rent relief.

Options
  • 15-09-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I could get the opinions of some people here.

We began renting in mid 2008 from a private individual. When I asked for the landlords PPSN to claim rent relief they said their tax situation was in the middle of being "sorted out" they said not to worry and if we moved out before it was sorted they would fix us up with the money. They mentioned at the time that it was €400 per year.

Nearly three years later and the situation hasn't changed. We are a bit concerned as the time available to us to claim back the rent relief will be running out soon. We did some research and we think that we are both entitled to €400 not just €400 per lease, is this the case?

Has anyone any idea what is going on with the tax situation? Is this just a way to avoid paying tax on the rental income or are there genuine cases where these things can take up to three years to sort?! At the end of the day it's a lot of money which I don't want to loose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I don't think you need the landlord's PPS number to claim rent tax allowance as a tenant. Though this may have changed recently, I never had to supply it in the past...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Thank you for your reply.

Yes as far as I am aware myself you do not need the LL PPSN to apply for rent relief, the revenue will track them down for that.

When I was initially told that they were having "tax issues" I held off on putting in a claim, now I'm concerned it has gone on so long but still don't want to mess things around too much if they are genuinely having issues.

Can anyone confirm if it is €400 per person rather than per lease regardless of rent paid?

Thank you in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Just make the claim.
    You do not need the landlord pps to claim.
    Let the landlord worry about their own tax affairs and you worry about yours.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/rent-credit.html#section4

It is per person

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Zamboni wrote: »
    It is per person

Thank you for the info.

Advertisement