Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais not refunding deposit

Options
  • 15-09-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I recently changed from Bord Gais to ESB. I had initially paid a e200 deposit when I moved into my house and I was informed in my last bill that this was going to be credited to my account.

After about 6 weeks I noticed that this amount had still to be credited so I called them. I was informed that you need to contact them to inform them that you want this deposit refunded!!
    The excuse they offered is that I might have left the country and closed my bank account! wtf!

They we're contacted by ESB to close my Board Gais account, why assume I was leaving the country? Also, couldn't they just try and credit my bank account instead of making the crazy assumption that I had disappeared and had no interest in getting my e200 back.

Watch out for this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

shaun_mac wrote: »
    I recently changed from Bord Gais to ESB. I had initially paid a e200 deposit when I moved into my house and I was informed in my last bill that this was going to be credited to my account.

After about 6 weeks I noticed that this amount had still to be credited so I called them. I was informed that you need to contact them to inform them that you want this deposit refunded!!
    The excuse they offered is that I might have left the country and closed my bank account! wtf!

They we're contacted by ESB to close my Board Gais account, why assume I was leaving the country? Also, couldn't they just try and credit my bank account instead of making the crazy assumption that I had disappeared and had no interest in getting my e200 back.

Watch out for this!

Bord Gais have been doing this for a while, if you dont contact them and request the refund they dont process it.
    Even though in all likelyhood they have been paid through direct debit,

ESB on the other hand refund without request into the account that was used for the debit

I sent a complaint in to them about it but heard nothing back, Bord Gais dont care about customers and especially ones they owe money to......

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

This is the same with most companies now. Even Sky last week told me that i had to call up to request them to send me a refund that I was due.

Most telecoms do it now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

when i moved into my house they were demanding a 300 euro deposit, i just said no way and pay in the post office. Can they make you pay the deposit?? This was 2 and ahalf yrs ago haven't heard anything since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

when i moved into my house they were demanding a 300 euro deposit, i just said no way and pay in the post office. Can they make you pay the deposit?? This was 2 and ahalf yrs ago haven't heard anything since
    They could withdraw service but it would be unlikely they would go to such lengths.

Got my FloGas welcome pack and also my final bored gais bill in the post today:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

In fairness I have always found their customer service to be excellent. I think this is a bit bad though since they should already have the details necessary to return this money. I got my deposit back from them as early as was possible (I am still with them) but many people dont realise that you can do that. A 300 euro deposit is pretty step for Gas accounts alright but that is only if you dont do direct debit which then is 200 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

How long does it take them to issue a refund to your account once asked? My 14 months/7 bills time frame for my deposit return is almost up. I could do with the cash soon!

java wrote: »
    How long does it take them to issue a refund to your account once asked? My 14 months/7 bills time frame for my deposit return is almost up. I could do with the cash soon!

10 working days as far as I remember, and they use the whole 10.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

For me I was just happy enough to put it against my next bill so it was credited immediately.

UDP wrote: »
    For me I was just happy enough to put it against my next bill so it was credited immediately.

Thats the thing, it shows how absolutely anti customer Bord gais are when they can differentiate payment schedules to the extent that if they owe you money they will only pay it back if you are a current customer.If you leave they make you wait till the very last minute.

this is whats wrong with this country, semi state **** not having proper equal rights processes in place

Advertisement