Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roxy Music

Options
  • 15-09-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Never really listened to them before, always liked the hits, (Love is the Drug, Virginia Plain, etc) but didn't really give them a chance. I heard a song that featured in a film that I was watching on BBC1 last night and thought it was amazing. 'If There is Something' I found out it was called.

Any fans of the band? If so what would you recommend by them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

listen to their live album "Viva". The version of "if there is something" on that will blow you away. Great band. enjoy the discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Thanks, will do.

Which studio albums would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

stranded

for your pleasure

try those two first. remember they werent just a pop band. very innovative. a '70's depeche mode in many ways, so theres riches to be found after prolonged listening.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

+1 for Stranded, my favourite Roxy Music album.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dont neglect the first one - Roxy Music.
    Its a stunning album and you'll never hear anything else like it.
    All first five albums are worth a listen though.

The second phase Roxy in the 80's can be viewed as a completely different band. Avalon from that period is a really good album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Soulwax have done a quite good Roxy Music remix - its available as a free download:

http://www.harderbloggerfaster.com/soulwax-remix-roxy-music-free-download/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Stranded is outstanding. So is Country Life (check out the Eddie Jobson violin solo on Out of the Blue). Avalon is a fine effort too. All very crafted.

Steer clear of the live albums. They're rubbish. And don't listen to anyone who tells you 'Roxy were no good after Eno left.' Even Eno disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

uvox wrote: »
    And don't listen to anyone who tells you 'Roxy were no good after Eno left.' Even Eno disagrees.

Eno's favourite Roxy album is Stranded, and he's not on it!

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Exactly.

Going just by album covers though, all you need is Country Life...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I've been going through a few of the early albums over the past couple of weeks now and for me the first album is superb.

Really enjoying that art school, 70's glam style of the album. 'Re-make/Re-Model', 'ladytron', 'Would You Believe', 'Virginia Plain', 'Chance meeting' all great songs. 'If There Is Something' is a stunning song. This is the song from the film 'Flashback of a Fool'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

CPL 593H!

Re-make/Re-model perhaps their best song, every band member has a chance to show their stuff.

Slightly related, anyone heard, or know where I would get, the John Taylor Tribute album to Roxy Music?

Dream Home Heartaches... Remaking/Remodeling Roxy Music

http://duranduran.wikia.com/wiki/Dream_Home_Heartaches....Remaking/Remodeling_Roxy_Music

Advertisement