Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming bye-election discussion - Mod instruction post #6. Please read carefully.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I spoke to a friend from Arklow last night and I asked him about Jim Tallon and he laughed straight for 5 mins then said goto you tube and check out his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tylercheribini#p/u/32/KxefVQfODlM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?id=8788

Apparently anyone can run where ever they like and in more then one in any election.
    That's bananas!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Anybody want to put up a poll ? I would but im just to busy ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why the hell are their people residing in Finglas, Athlone, Liffey Valley, Bonham Street and Arklow running for West Dublin by-election???? :confused:

Was wondering that myself, ridiculous. Almost as bad as Mary-Lou changing constituency in order to get elected.

The ginge would be useless as a pet though, he could be a good mascot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I spoke to a friend from Arklow last night and I asked him about Jim Talloon and he laughed straight for 5 mins then said goto you tube and check out his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tylercheribini#p/u/32/KxefVQfODlM

The man is a freakin loony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Got a photocopied McGuinness leaflet for Corduff, Mulhuddart & Blakestown in the door this morning. I live in Waterville, which is not only not in any of those areas but it's also in Castleknock LEA and the leaflet is targeted at the Mulhuddart LEA. If a candidate (and their team) doesn't know their own constituency, how can they expect us to vote for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

athtrasna wrote: »
    Got a photocopied McGuinness leaflet for Corduff, Mulhuddart & Blakestown in the door this morning. I live in Waterville, which is not only not in any of those areas but it's also in Castleknock LEA and the leaflet is targeted at the Mulhuddart LEA. If a candidate (and their team) doesn't know their own constituency, how can they expect us to vote for them?

You received that leaflet from me, I delivered it.

I am born and bred in Corduff and I know the area far better than most. The content of the leaflets are of no difference and simply titled differently. Your leaflet mentions the laurel lodge constituency office does it not? That is castleknock is it not?

David McGuinness is also born in Corduff but lets get down to brass tacks, i've had it out here with you before, your the one that gave out about posters etc and lets be honest; are you ever going to vote David McGuinness?

I can guarantee you one thing. PM me your details and i'll bring David to your house tomorrow for a chat.

ps: Where you live is where I played as a child in the forests and hospital grounds. It was always regarded as Corduff regardless of politics.
    Can I also mention to you the large proportion of Corduff natives that live in Waterville?

For any other readers or casual observes, David is running a really good campaign and it's going really well. Up at 6am and back to bed at 12 midnight every day. It's tough for him but that's politics.

Thank you for that informative reply.

Whether you consider Waterville Corduff or not, I can assure you that none of the hundreds of people who are in negative equity over here would consider it Corduff. While there may be many people who grew up in Corduff living here, that does not make it Corduff. Nor as I said are we in the same LEA.

As for McGuiness coming over here, why would I be any more important than any other Waterville voter. In general we get ignored at election time as "there are not enough registered voters to make it worth canvassing". If he wants to canvass the area that would be great, but why single out one household. I would be delighted to meet him or any other candidate at my door.

I am very active in Waterville when it comes to management company issues and have worked with several of the candidates on MC issues. When an issue arises we contact all the local politicians, and I always note the ones that reply, and those that help. Over 50% of our local reps don't even reply. There are only two bye-election candidates who actually replied and helped us on issues that arose. And yes that will influence my vote on the day. I firmly believe that this bye-election is a local one as the victor won't make an impact numerically in the Dail, regardless of party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

For any other readers or casual observes, David is running a really good campaign and it's going really well. Up at 6am and back to bed at 12 midnight every day. It's tough for him but that's politics.

It;s tough for him? :mad:

Well maybe he can get a few more of his FF pals to help him out if it is too tough.

Does he have these guys on speed dial?

Bertie "won it on the horses, go kill yourselves" Ahern, Brian Cowen, Ray Burke, Ivor Callely, Beverly Cooper Flynn, Jackie Healy Rae, Willie O'Dea?

Since he likes reminding us of his passed away colleague Brian Lenihan, maybe he we can also remind him of Liam Lawlor and Charlie Haughey?

Maybe it is tough for him because he has to go to all those new housing estates that popped up over the celtic tiger with so little legislation and the poor guy has to deal with these pesky homeowners who have huge issues with unsafe housing, low quality housing, services not provided, management companies, mortgages (Donie Cassidy FF Senator: Seanad Speech 10/4/2008:
    "Now is the right time to buy. We have a duty to tell first-time house buyers, young couples with no previous experience, that there is unbelievable value in the marketplace today. It will not last forever. It is never the wrong time to do the right thing. I offer the House the benefit of my experience and my opinion which is all any Member can do. I will remind the House, perhaps in 12 or 18 months, when prices have again increased by 25% or 30%, that they were told this by the Leader of the House on this historic day, the tenth anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement.")

Sure maybe David is really tired and finds it tough because he has to meet people who ACTUALLY have it tough, not employed as a councilllor and teacher, and maybe make a blasphemous comment to him which his party actually made a criminal offense and he does not know whether to report them to the Gardai or not?

If people actually vote for this sickening party or members again, they deserve the crap they get. If David is actually decent, he would not be in that party, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

It;s tough for him? :mad:

If people actually vote for this sickening party or members again, they deserve the crap they get. If David is actually decent, he would not be in that party, end of.

I have no time for him. I rate him as nothing but an annoying, inarticulate little upstart with delusions of grandeur and no ability to mount a campaign of his own due to his non-understanding of politics or business (which explains his sick reliance on the memory of Brian Lenihan). I had posted around the time of the last election, mentioning that he had appeared at the door telling us that he in no way supported FF or their policies, but believed in the local area, which to me is a clear case in point of someone who purely wants the position for the sake of celebrity. The last thing we need is another Bertie, whose sole aim is power for the sake of power. I dislike Labour intensely, however I feel their candidate is the only one on the ballot paper whose agenda has even the remotest semblance of wanting to better the constituency.

He joined FF, because at the time their 'sure-bet' position at election times was a smart move for anyone looking for a political vehicle to get their name in lights, and I'm only too happy to see the little gombeen stuck with their name which will likely forever keep him out of office permanently. He should stick with organising football matches for the local children, and leave adult work to the adults.

Oh, and the poster <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Is there any frontrunners emerging? I have yet to see any sort of poll on the election..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

genericguy wrote: »

Just checked his post
    Let me get it out now. I have a connection to David McGuinness but all of the usual posters from the previous 2011 GE thread have already jumped on this one and they know my view's.

KEEP IT CLEAN and fair ;)

And he didn't mention it, are you sure it's true? I had just assumed he was an ordinary FF cumann member.

I don't remember him mentioning it in the general election thread.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

genericguy wrote: »

May I remind people of the following part of the Boards Terms of Use:
    You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:

* identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

Perhaps the poster with the connection mentioned might like to confirm his actual relationship with the candidate? Knowing a candidate and potentially being related to them are two different levels of bias IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Posts that don't debate any issues, but simply promote a candidate in the vaguest and broadest sweeps should be given the attention they deserve. None.

Ditto candidates who campaign in the same manner.

Howdy ladies and gentlemen :)

Your hatred is shocking.

Athrasna. Waterville is being canvassed this week, perhaps Thursday. Be nice.

As for everyone else, it doesn't matter who I am and I have been more open here then many others regarding my connection. If a mod wants to know who i am they can ask me through PM and PM only.

<SNIP>

Oh and my name is Chuck Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

To be honest all the politicans I have seen so far in Dublin West going for this seat have been pretty average its almost like they dont want the seat.

I still havent made my mind up but am staying away from FF. Having had a leading FF politican in DW for so long and every thing in the area seems to be a fight to get (roads/transport/schools/housing/hospital).
    Thats just locally as for Nation wide we know what state the country is in after 15 years of their control.

Its a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

In all fairness, they are quite average qualifications. The lines in bold are particularly weak.

Isn't he a music teacher? That's hardly beneficial to separating yourself from the other candidates. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to single DMG out as the rest are quite average too, its just this "educated very well" stuff irritates me. If that and the rest of the list you mentioned are qualifiers then I could probably run, and believe me, I'd be an awful politician!

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Now now Chuck, no canvassing!

• Advertisement

kenon wrote: »
    In all fairness, they are quite average qualifications. The lines in bold are particularly weak.

Isn't he a music teacher? That's hardly beneficial to separating yourself from the other candidates. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to single DMG out as the rest are quite average too, its just this "educated very well" stuff irritates me. If that and the rest of the list you mentioned are qualifiers then I could probably run, and believe me, I'd be an awful politician!

But what about the points you did not highlight?

David is a teacher in maths, music and history. Maths is on a junior cert level as you need full time qualifications for leaving cert maths. David is a sub teacher still seeking a full time teaching post. (Imagine that, a FF'r unable to get a job).

David knows more than most of the candidates of the issues facing dublinwest. His brother James was forced to emigrate a year ago, as too where two of his closest friends to Vancouver and New Zealand.

There is one way for young people out of this mess and one way only and that is through education and that's why my point on education and his education is so important.

The leaving cert on it's own is not good enough and his position on education should be extremely important to anyone.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Now now Chuck, no canvassing!

Gaspode, I agree, apologies. Im clarifying facts and defending his good name.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

athtrasna wrote: »
    Got a photocopied McGuinness leaflet for Corduff, Mulhuddart & Blakestown in the door this morning. I live in Waterville, which is not only not in any of those areas but it's also in Castleknock LEA and the leaflet is targeted at the Mulhuddart LEA.

Waterville is in Corduff.

EDIT
    Full Disclosure: Barry Caesar Hunt cuts my hair and seems like a quite sound bloke.

There is one way for young people out of this mess and one way only and that is through education and that's why my point on education and his education is so important. ...

Thats a very trite line thats rolled out Ad nauseam.

The reality is FF allowed over development of D.15, putting huge pressure on schools places. Then allowed developers to dictate the location, of schools resulting in bizarre catchment policies, with no traffic infrastructure to support the resulting traffic chaos. There isn't even any rational logic to the cycle lanes around these schools. Support based on education mess in D.15 would get long odds.

Theres an awful lot of people out there who are well educated, trained and skilled and many leaving and out of work. So if the answer is education, then were all these people being educated in the wrong areas, with the wrong skills? How do they feel about education is the answer?

BostonB wrote: »
    Thats a very trite line thats rolled out Ad nauseam.

The reality is FF allowed over development of D.15, putting huge pressure on schools places. Then allowed developers to dictate the location, of schools resulting in bizarre catchment policies, with no traffic infrastructure to support the resulting traffic chaos. There isn't even any rational logic to the cycle lanes around these schools. Support based on education mess in D.15 would get long odds.

Theres an awful lot of people out there who are well educated, trained and skilled and many leaving and out of work. So if the answer is education, then were all these people being educated in the wrong areas, with the wrong skills? How do they feel about education is the answer?

I do not disagree with most of what you say there. Am I going to defend the previous government? Not a chance.

But hey, they were kicked out of government and rightly so.

Education is a very important point. Many people in the last decade got jobs straight after their leaving certificate, there is little chance of that now.

Fine gael and Labour stated they would protect education and health amongst the cuts that we all knew were coming but they have not protected health and education.

The new and the young and the bright is where it is at. Lets get positive and lets stop knocking and look forward. What other choice do we have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does John Kidd really think that having 'JFK' in big bold letters on his election posters will fool people into voting for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I do not disagree with most of what you say there. Am I going to defend the previous government? Not a chance.

But hey, they were kicked out of government and rightly so.

Education is a very important point. Many people in the last decade got jobs straight after their leaving certificate, there is little chance of that now.

Fine gael and Labour stated they would protect education and health amongst the cuts that we all knew were coming but they have not protected health and education.

The new and the young and the bright is where it is at. Lets get positive and lets stop knocking and look forward. What other choice do we have...

Ah here, your FF lot have been in goverment the vast majority of time since Ireland has been Independent so it is so absolutely infuriating to hear any FF'er moan about a government, not even in power for a year, who have the biggest mess the country has ever had because of FF policies and then have the audacity to complain about things like health and education! :mad:

Seriously, do you have any shame? FF had all the time a modern dictator would ever want, and you blew it! I read about those residents who have to leave their homes today because developers did not even need to cut corners to build property and proper fire safety standards, they had their Galway races FF f**king buddies letting them get away with anything and there are going to be so many more of these cases where sub standard apartment blocks built in the celtic tiger years get condemned and people lose everything, because f**king FF and their developer buddies.

Any shame? Any shame there? :mad:

But hey, lets point fingers at a government not even in power for a year, people are stupid, at least that's what you hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Did anyone see the newspapers at the weekend, think it was the Sunday World, with Patrick Nulty showing an unsolicited cheque for €500 he got from the Larkins, the developer "masterminds" behind Tyrellstown, and saying he was returning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

But what about the points you did not highlight?

David is a teacher in maths, music and history. Maths is on a junior cert level as you need full time qualifications for leaving cert maths.

The leaving cert on it's own is not good enough and his position on education should be extremely important to anyone.

Intriguing. Was DMG's degree not in Music Education and History? Surely that doesn't qualify him to teach maths at ANY level? That must make him part of the 30% of teachers unqualified to teach maths.

For this reason, I'd personally find it difficult to take his position on education seriously as he is part of the maths problem in this country.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

skregs wrote: »
    Waterville is in Corduff.

Waterville is not in Corduff! Ask the Council (different LEA), the Gardai (different region/zone...whatever they call it), we're not even in the same parish (different church and primary school areas). I think you'll find the Snugborough Road is the border of Corduff.

If I happen to meet any candidates this week I will be civil as always, and I also won't waste their time. I am 90% sure of my first preference and 60% sure of my number 2, not sure I'll go beyond number 2 in either of the elections on the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement