Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming bye-election discussion - Mod instruction post #6. Please read carefully.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Sharrow wrote: »
    They don't they are exempt.

Wrong, they only have limited exemption and that exemption does not apply to admission policies which must be non-discriminatory.

http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=106&docID=226

Read the guide page 19.

"An educational establishment shall not discriminate in relation to:
    • the admission or the terms or conditions of admission;
    • the access of any student to any course, facility or benefit;
    • any other term or condition of participation; or
    • the expulsion of a student or other sanction"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Arciphel wrote: »
    Her canvassers threw a load of crap in my letter box this morning, even though I have a sign on my letter box saying NO JUNK MAIL and a sign on my door saying NO CANVASSERS. I guess this means she has won my monthly junk mail lottery, as I am going to put her crap (and all the other crap I have that comes in the letter box from similar ignoramuses who can't read) and post it to her at her home address. Well worth the price of a stamp :)

And if you don't put a stamp on it then the reciever has to pay the charges. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Godge wrote: »
    OK. I get it now. The catchment area has been reduced and the preference to long-term residents eliminated. That has been classed as queue-jumping. Is that correct?

Thats my personal viewpoint only.
    Godge wrote: »
    Assuming it is, I can understand why the preference for long-term residents had to be dropped. Schools must abide by the Equality Act. In general, long-term residents are more likely to the be Irish and newer residents less like to be Irish. Such a policy would constitute indirect discrimination against non-nationals and would have to be removed. It cannot be reinstated for those reasons and is not a solution....

Unless of course the new catchment is even less diverse then the old catchment. Does it bring in more affordable houses, or does it bring in more new high end properties, least likely to be diverse.

Theres a simple solution, rent a house, or buy as close as you can to the catchment, or move the child into a feeder school, in 6th class. Which is no problem if you have the resources. There no queue then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Denominational schools can discriminate and can set their enrolment/admissions policy to allow them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Chuck Norris has been very quiet of late, I wonder what is going on in the FF camp at the moment? Maybe he didn't like that Independent news article saying that the FF sages thought that McGuinness had no hope of winning the Dublin West seat....

He's hiding over on twitter ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I must have a look. I heard there was some bother at the weekend, they tried to canvas somewhere and bigger boys came and moved them on - would like to hear his side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

athtrasna wrote: »
    He's hiding over on twitter ;)

Or drinking bottles of Tiger beer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sorry for the poor quality but someone in work told me about this clip so had to forward it onto here.

http://youtu.be/JWqFWYIQEmE

Agh, cant see it in work. I assume its controversial :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's gas, when Vinny said "What are you talking about" I was already wondering that myself.

Ha ha, the reason to vote for him is to put a tenner on him at 100/1, the more people who do this will obviously shorten the odds but in turn they will vote in order to try win their bet and have a nice Christmas. Master Plan !

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Sorry for the poor quality but someone in work told me about this clip so had to forward it onto here.

http://youtu.be/JWqFWYIQEmE

Ahhh classic Vincent - how I laughed!

I miss Chuck Norris and the fun we used to have in this thread - Chuck, if you are out there, please come back!

chuck-norris-fist.jpg

Chuck Norris and Athtrasna seem to have left. Its a shame they left just before the big day ;). Good luck to all the candidates. May the best man or woman win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

godscop wrote: »
    Chuck Norris and Athtrasna seem to have left. Its a shame they left just before the big day ;). Good luck to all the candidates. May the best man or woman win.

Why yes how strange, why it's almost like there was some sort of restriction on people who have been officially campaigning, and it suddenly came into effect so that are officially involved can no longer do so.

I didn't go anywhere. I just didn't have anything to say about a school nowhere near my area and its enrolment policies
    Sharrow wrote: »
    Why yes how strange, why it's almost like there was some sort of restriction on people who have been officially campaigning, and it suddenly came into effect so that are officially involved can no longer do so.

I'm not campaigning for any candidate officially or unofficially. What I have said is people are still hurting too much from 17 years of FF in government for McGuinness to have a chance. I have said I don't seem to fit Nulty's canvass demographic. I said I think O'Gorman will get a large middle class vote from people who don't want to add another government TD.

I also mentioned and will say again that Ruth Coppinger has shown utter contempt and disrespect for my area and as a result I will be vociferously rejecting her and urging others to do likewise.

Oh and Waterville rarely if ever gets canvassed ;):D

athtrasna wrote: »
    I didn't go anywhere. I just didn't have anything to say about a school nowhere near my area and its enrolment policies

I'm not campaigning for any candidate officially or unofficially. What I have said is people are still hurting too much from 17 years of FF in government for McGuinness to have a chance. I have said I don't seem to fit Nulty's canvass demographic. I said I think O'Gorman will get a large middle class vote from people who don't want to add another government TD.

I also mentioned and will say again that Ruth Coppinger has shown utter contempt and disrespect for my area and as a result I will be vociferously rejecting her and urging others to do likewise.

Oh and Waterville rarely if ever gets canvassed ;):D
    Does it get cavassed Yes or No ? Who canvassed for this election ?

Does it get cavassed Yes or No ? Who canvassed for this election ?

First ever canvassers in 7 years was FG in the GE this year. Have been out a lot and away on hols this month but had "sorry I missed you" card from FG this time. Chuck Norris said FF were in the area this week but I have seen no evidence of that.

We still apparently don't have enough votes. Not a lot has changed since "Forgotten Waterville" from the Community Voice in 2009 http://www.communityvoice.ie/pages/CV139/CV139n11.htm
    Forgotten Waterville

Dear Editor,

For the past five years I have lived in Waterville, moving in before the 2004 local elections. In that time we have had local & European elections twice, a General Election and at least one referendum. Leaflets, we have had plenty of, but where are the would-be politicians, the canvassers, the people who want our votes? Nowhere to be seen!

I had hoped that these Local & European Elections might bring our first canvassers but no joy. The usual leaflets, including some from the candidates in Mulhuddart who don’t seem to know that their electoral area ends on the opposite side of the Snugborough Road (!), arrived but then again we didn’t even get leaflets from all the Castleknock candidates.

Having raised this with some of the political types in the area I was told that there weren’t enough registered voters in Waterville to make it worth canvassing. I thought every vote counts? It’s not even as if we’re gated communities or all in large blocks, a very high percentage of the units in Waterville are own-door units be it townhouses, duplexes or ground floor apartments. We are accessible.

So now, too late for the recent election but in time for the next one, I ask all political parties not to forget the many voters in Waterville. A leaflet in the door is not the same as personal contact, surely we are worth a few hours of your time.

Yours etc.
    Waterville Voter
    Blanchardstown
    Dublin 15

(Name and address with Editor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I just drove down Auburn Avenue and some of Eithne Loftus' posters have 'only government candidate' plastered on them. What's this about? Does Nulty not count?

I just drove down Auburn Avenue and some of Eithne Loftus' posters have 'only government candidate' plastered on them. What's this about? Does Nulty not count?

Nulty has been openly and repeatedly speaking out against this government since before the coalition, therefore it's a fair enough point IMO, especially if he's now trying to get elected as a government candidate

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, I hope Dublin 15 boardsies got out and voted today.

At the polling station, I noticed that there were two ballot boxes - one for the Presidential vote and referenda, the other for the by-election.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    At the polling station, I noticed that there were two ballot boxes - one for the Presidential vote and referenda, the other for the by-election.

That's because the Presidential Election & Referendum counts are taking place at Dublin Castle and the Bye-Election count is at CityWest (AFAIK)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The amount of junk mail the candidates posted through the letterboxes was unreal. One flyer or whatever would have done not one every few . Such as big waste of money so i didnt vote for the culprits. Nulty's posters was all over the school car park gates in Mountview and the other main candidates had posters on every lamp post, far too much in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Chuck Norris has been very quiet of late, I wonder what is going on in the FF camp at the moment? Maybe he didn't like that Independent news article saying that the FF sages thought that McGuinness had no hope of winning the Dublin West seat....

I was busy postering, leafleting, campaigning and working toward the first preference count of 7750 :D

I do not always have the time to give you lot a run for your money :)

CHUCK NORRIS WAS RIGHT - Didn't David do well and only 25 years of age.

WE HAVEN'T GONE AWAY YOU KNOW - oh wait, that's a SF line :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Did David have to take time off teaching for the campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

CHUCK NORRIS WAS RIGHT - Didn't David do well and only 25 years of age.
    The winner wasn't much older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The winner wasn't much older.

Yes he was, the winner as 29 going on 30.
    The 2nd place battler is 25 going on 26 in July of next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

5 yrs is nothing? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Chuck, the only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner (or runner-up as the case may be).
    Please follow the charter for the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The amount of junk mail the candidates posted through the letterboxes was unreal. One flyer or whatever would have done not one every few . Such as big waste of money so i didnt vote for the culprits. Nulty's posters was all over the school car park gates in Mountview and the other main candidates had posters on every lamp post, far too much in the area.

It is not junk mail, it is a political message and elections only happen every couple of years. It's usually people that have those signs that moan about politicians not being in touch. Junk mail would be the likes of take away menus and clothes collections not political leaflets.

Yes he was, the winner as 29 going on 30.
    The 2nd place battler is 25 going on 26 in July of next year.

Patrick Nulty is 28 going on 29 and is a policy analyst for a housing and homeless charity. As a result he'll have policy and legislative experience, the last thing the Dail needs is another teacher.

• Advertisement

It is not junk mail, it is a political message and elections only happen every couple of years. It's usually people that have those signs that moan about politicians not being in touch. Junk mail would be the likes of take away menus and clothes collections not political leaflets.

I think there's a couple of issues there.

Litir Um Thoghachain - this is sent to everyone on the electoral register, one from each candidate. With 7 Presidential Candidates and 13 Bye-Election Candidates, that's 20 addressed items to each voter..which is a lot

Other Party literature - in my opinion that is only junk mail when it only comes at election time. Certainly Labour and FG send regular updates during the year. It really winds me up when politicians only think we're worth contacting at election time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement