Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The bloody Solheim Cup

• 15-09-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

I challenge anyone out there to show me an event that has had more publicity and advertising than this bloody Solheim Cup.:mad:

I like listening to Today FM but the adverts for it are causing me to channel hop more often. It seems to be on every ad break, not to mention the specials that run for 30secs on top of these.

Are sales bad for it or something. Are Today FM organising it?

Its womens gold for God's sake! The Ryder Cup is one of the worlds great sporting events and it received about 10% of the advertising this nonsense gets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I challenge anyone out there to show me an event that has had more publicity and advertising than this bloody Solheim Cup.

Emmm, Neil Diamond and Mary Byrne in concert at the Aviva?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

NIMAN wrote: »
    I challenge anyone out there to show me an event that has had more publicity and advertising than this bloody Solheim Cup.:mad:

I like listening to Today FM but the adverts for it are causing me to channel hop more often. It seems to be on every ad break, not to mention the specials that run for 30secs on top of these.

Its womens gold for God's sake! The Ryder Cup is one of the worlds great sporting events and it received about 10% of the advertising this nonsense gets.

analysing your post to determine if you are merely sexist or a full blown misogynist ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Emmm, Neil Diamond and Mary Byrne in concert at the Aviva?

"It was then we saw... South Georgia"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

my friend wrote: »
    analysing your post to determine if you are merely sexist or a full blown misogynist ..

Both.

OK so maybe I should have left out the word 'womens' when I was chatting about it.

But it doesn't get away from the fact that in the sporting world, it is well down the order of 'big' events. As I said, I remember the Ryder Cup in Ireland and it wasn't hyped up like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's a big sports events and I'm guessing that Today FM are a media partner.

Look at the coverage that the Ryder Cup got. They didn't need spot adverts because it was being covered just about everywhere outside of the ad breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

But it doesn't get away from the fact that in the sporting world, it is well down the order of 'big' events. As I said, I remember the Ryder Cup in Ireland and it wasn't hyped up like this.

The Ryder Cup was a sell out a year in advance, there was a lottery to get tickets - very little point in advertising it once you have sold all the tickets.

I suspect tickets sales for the Solheim Cup are slow, hence the heavy advertising.
    Expect to see bucket loads of tickets being given away as Competiton Prizes, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ya like skid said, I say the uptake on tickets is quite slow so they're going into marketing overdrive these last few days in a desperate attempt to get a half decent crowd to go this tripe. Its going to be broadcast worldwide so a large crowd is important to give off the right image I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

you dont need to advertise events that people already want to go to, so that could be a hint as to why its wall to wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

The waiting is over D-DAY:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Amen brother, it's all over TV as well. So much so that it's actually putting (no pun intended) me off going to see it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

This is it.
    The time is now.
    The moment has come.
    The day is upon us.
    The gauntlet has been thrown down.
    The gloves are off.
    The kettle is boiled.
    The sandwiches are made.
    It's tee time.
    Groan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Skid wrote: »
    The Ryder Cup was a sell out a year in advance, there was a lottery to get tickets - very little point in advertising it once you have sold all the tickets.

And the people playing in the Ryder Cup were household names, Monty, Olazabal, Westwood etc.. Even people who can't abide sports of any type on TV know who Tiger Woods is plus we had three Irish players in the 2006 European team in the K Club - Harrington, Clarke and McGinley so there was huge interest.

The 2006 Ryder Cup was the biggest international sports event ever to be held in Ireland, the Solheim Cup doesn't even come close.

Like it or not, ladies golf is in the ha'penny place compared to the mens' game. Can we please not call people misogynists for stating the bleeding obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

At least Alison Nicholas has a nice face to match the voice

http://www.gilliankirkwood.com/ercn86/uploaded_images/ALISONNICHOLASHDapr2010-774176.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Fact is that the Solheim is bringing more visitors to Ireland than the Ryder Cup did and costing exchequer far less. If you don't like the adds, could you switch elsewhere.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Btr wrote: »
    Fact is that the Solheim is bringing more visitors to Ireland than the Ryder Cup did and costing exchequer far less. If you don't like the adds, could you switch elsewhere.......

how many tourists are due?

that's good news anyway but i wont miss the adds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

my friend wrote: »

in other words pure evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sexy ladies on that American team:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

George Hook being as patronizing as ever. Saying "more importantly [than the golf] its a great advertisment for Bord Failte"

If someone said the RWC was more importantly a great advertisment for NZ tourism he'd be off on a "I want to say this without interuption" rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Btr wrote: »
    Fact is that the Solheim is bringing more visitors to Ireland than the Ryder Cup did.

Are you sure about that? I'm not saying your wrong, but it just doesnt seem to make sense.. ..

I wouldnt mind a foursome with Michelle Wie and two other random members of the American team..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Wertz wrote: »
    "It was then we saw... South Georgia"

but yet every time I hear it I still can't help waiting for the bit where he says "I made a mistake" and chuckling. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

"Miss it and you'll never be forgotten"

Really?

Who is going to care about this now, never mind in years to come.

The Ryder Cup had Tiger Woods and the best players in the World, and three Irish players. And much better Golf

There will some decent Womens Sport on at Croke Park this Sunday, that'll be the place to be.

Advertisement