Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guide to buying a used bike

• 15-09-2011 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been commuting on a daily basis for severla months now and adding in longer weekend spins for the last few weeks. I am getting to the point where i feel i am ready to pull to trigger and pick up a second hand road bike.

On the back of this thread regarding buying a used car, can anyone give me guidelines of what questions to ask and what problems to look out for when buying my first road bike. What are the most vulnerable parts on a bike (moving parts?)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Some very useful information here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Lemag wrote: »
    Some very useful information here ;)

Sorry, that's blocked at work but i'll check it out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Killme00 wrote: »
    Sorry, that's blocked at work but i'll check it out later.

its a link to let me google that for you so don't bother.

Used road bike guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Head down to the Garda Auction

Bicycle_600x224.jpg
    http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/bicycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Wouldn't bother with Merlin tbh.

Seems to be mostly a sorry pile of junk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mick121

try the adverts section here,most seem to be genuine people.i bought my bike there and have no problems.check their feedback.inspect bike in daylight.bring for spin and check gears,breaks etc.check frame for cracks,dents or if its twisted.check wheels run true.best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Google before you buy, just because the seller claims to have paid 500e or 1000e 3 months ago or whatever doesn't mean the bike was ever worth 500e or 1000e. Also be sure to get the correct frame size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Lots of bikes are too expensive and owners availing of the government incentives especially, can be unrealistic in their asking prices given the distortion in the market owing to the Bike to Work scheme discounts.

Advertisement