Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Letter in The Irish Times Today

• 15-09-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Eh, I know it's not quite Friday yet, but how about this for a bit of bait, from today's IT:

Sir, – I refer to Conor Lally’s two reports (Home News, September 13th) of the efforts of the Garda to thwart bicycle-mounted iPhone snatchers. Rather than Garda sources trying to lay part of the responsibility on female iPhone users “wearing high heels coming from the office”, surely our Inspector Clouseaus should look for part of the solution closer to home. After all, the Garda has wilfully ignored the significant number of cyclists in Dublin who cycle on paths, barge through pedestrians at approved crossing points and cycle recklessly the wrong way up our streets. Maybe if the force enforced the laws designed to protect pedestrians in the first place, then criminals wouldn’t be able to target “women in high heels” so easily. – Yours, etc,
    K MARTIN,
    Bayside Walk,
    Bayside, Dublin 13.

Not only do cyclists ride on footpaths, break red lights, barge pedestrians and rape Andrex puppies but they are now targeting defenceless women in high heels and stealing their beloved iPhones.

What has the world come to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stealing and mugging is far more serious then a few road traffic offenses
    The gardaí know this and that's where they are putting their efforts

When we have tens of thousands more gardaí we'll see everything get attention but for now the most serious issues are looked at

Stupid letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Similarly, if we kill all the ginger people, then there can be no robberies committed by ginger people, and no robberies committed on ginger people, so the streets will be safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Lumen wrote: »
    Similarly, if we kill all the ginger people, then there can be no robberies committed by ginger people, and no robberies committed on ginger people, so the streets will be safer.

That's actually a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

When does the ginger rampage begin? I would like to also subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Confiscate their pedals! That ill teach those 2 wheeled marauders!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

But then there'd be no-one to get off with in the chipper at 3 am when all else has failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Can we set up squadrons of DublinBikes to mow them down at pedestrian crossings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Ban cars and two problems sorted - ram raids and bank robberies. K Martin needs to get a bike, there's lovely tracks out his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Let's ignore the trolling letters and focus on the positive, also from today's IT:
    2.5 million trips taken on city bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey, no fair...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

But then there'd be no-one to get off with in the chipper at 3 am when all else has failed.

christina-hendricks.jpg

Buy ya a bag o' chips luv?

Hey, thats worse.

Hi handsome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cyclists are ridiculous, I mean: I can't even walk through my own kitchen without tripping over 3 different bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

The same Conor Lally is an ex-international cyclist and from the Lally cycling dynasty - he definately has an agenda!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Luv? Handsome?

That's the great thing about gingers - they're always grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Luv? Handsome?

That's the great thing about gingers - they're always grateful.

Just like yer ma...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The same Conor Lally is an ex-international cyclist and from the Lally cycling dynasty - he definately has an agenda!! :rolleyes:
    Conor Lally wrote the original article, which had a separate thread dedicated to it earlier in the week. I have no idea what "Agenda" you could be referring to in the context of that article - perhaps that is something for the Conspiracy Theories forum ....

This thread is about the letter printed in today's issue and quoted above;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Moflojo wrote: »
    christina-hendricks.jpg

Buy ya a bag o' chips luv?

be gorra ya do? how bout a sausage to go with that?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

its ok to cycle the wrong way up a one-way street, right? Just so long as you don't do it recklessly like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

elduggo wrote: »
    its ok to cycle the wrong way up a one-way street, right? Just so long as you don't do it recklessly like?

Yup, just don't be nicking phones off the ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Hah :rolleyes: Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any dafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

if you can't beat the salmon, join them.

"for every salmon that gets caught, hundreds make it past the bears"

good odds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

Gingers got word about this thread.. they seek revenge

GingerKids29.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Mucco wrote: »
    Let's ignore the trolling letters and focus on the positive, also from today's IT:
    2.5 million trips taken on city bikes

Many of them on the pavement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Where did the use of ginger to describe red hair come from? Ginger isn't red.

(That lady is exquisitely attractive.)

tomasrojo wrote: »

Ginger isn't red. But then neither is my hair. It's more an auburn anyway!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My sister's hair is auburn too. Nice colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I know a girl with ginger hair
    Deep beneath her underwear
    How do I know?
    I've been there
    And now have scampi fingers

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I've no idea about the source - ginger ale? ginger snaps? ginger beer? none convinces - but I've noticed that it seems to be a lot more prevalent in recent years. I do remember it from my childhood, not least due to the legendary Gerry 'Ginger' McLoughlin, Irish rugby international and now Limerick City Councillor, but it was much less common than names like carrot, redser, copper or Duracell.

I've always thought of it as quite an English term, and I suspect that its latterday visibility here dates from the mid-'90s new lad culture, when Chris Evans embraced it.

Anyway, I hear the Sociology/Popular Culture forum is thataway...>>> :o

And just when you thought she couldn't get any better, they went and slapped an accordion on her!

*swoon*

(Only me? Oh well.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QN4NyD6l8A (Can't embed this one, alas.)

Advertisement