Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roller Board for Swimming

• 15-09-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

I'm thinking of making a roller board to compliment swim training for triathlon. All serious xc skiiers have them. Do you think it would be beneficial for triathlon?

Here is an example of such a device:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

teol wrote: »
    I'm thinking of making a roller board to compliment swim training for triathlon. All serious xc skiiers have them. Do you think it would be beneficial for triathlon?

Here is an example of such a device:

Is the limiter of most triathletes swimming strength and fitness or technique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hey Tunney, from what I can remember you've got a pretty pointy swim in you somewhere in the recent past. At what point does strength work start to matter? Can it be equated to your pace per 100s (ie. after X some strength work will pay off)? I think I've OK technique, but when I sprint it starts to fall apart a bit (arms going where its easy to go, rather than where they should go for maximum propulsion during the pull, after a few hundred meters).

Is that the sort of thing that means I should just swim more to get an improvement, or would improving strength outside of the pool transfer to keeping technique pretty in the pool in a more time-efficient approach to training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

kingQuez wrote: »
    Hey Tunney, from what I can remember you've got a pretty pointy swim in you somewhere in the recent past. At what point does strength work start to matter? Can it be equated to your pace per 100s (ie. after X some strength work will pay off)? I think I've OK technique, but when I sprint it starts to fall apart a bit (arms going where its easy to go, rather than where they should go for maximum propulsion during the pull, after a few hundred meters).

Is that the sort of thing that means I should just swim more to get an improvement, or would improving strength outside of the pool transfer to keeping technique pretty in the pool in a more time-efficient approach to training?

What are your:
    50m pb
    100m pb
    400m pb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

tunney wrote: »
    What are your:
    50m pb
    100m pb
    400m pb

I havent been careful about tracking them for a while.. from notes i can find:

50: 0'41 - (may, pretty old)
    100: 1'27 (around may too) - regularly do 1'30 at the moment during sets, haven't done a single one flat out for a while.
    400: 6'15 - pretty recent, but early morning so i think i can do better

Advertisement