Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling with trades were would you go?

Options
  • 15-09-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hows it goin,just wondering from your own experiences or what yous see advertised where you are!theres a few of us heading to australia and were thinkin melbourne,sydney or brisbane!we are qualified plumber,chippy,tiler and hairdresser!is there a certain area maybe better in your view for trades?whats chances a baggin a job within say first 2 weeks in that line of work or any trade/construction work?any recomendations?
    cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

If you want well paid but brutally tough work head to Perth to the mines from my understanding. Im a mechanic myself and will be headin over next year to Adelaide but I would like to work at a big mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

As the previous poster said, if your after big money, then go to the mines. I would say it would be a good idea to go there anyway for 3 months as this can be used as regional work.

I've got a brother in the mines and one in Perth. I'm in Melbourne now but lived in Sydney last year.

I've been told by a friend from Kildare that there are too many people with trades in Perth at the moment but my brother is pretty happy there as a spark, so the right city for you depends on your preferences.

There's lots of work in all the big cities: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth...I assume Adelaide but don't know much about it.

Start looking on gumtree for whatever city you plan on coming to. I'm in an office job but I know people working as brickies, sparks, painters, plasterers, and a tiler. If you want a few numbers send me a PM. I also have a friend that is Irish but was born here. He works for the union. These are great jobs. They pay well and they get every second Monday off. These are really the jobs you want if you don't hit the mines. You'll also get sponsored in all these jobs pretty easily as they are in demand....by the way hairdressing is also in demand so you should be fine.

I'd recommend Melbourne over Sydney, having lived in both, as it has more to offer in my opinion. More bands, sports events and a general better buzz, but Sydney is pretty good too.

Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

yeh i also heard there is big money to be made in the mines but as you said brutal work!and id also like to enjoy meself and be in a city rather then be in the middle of nowhere in a mine!
    i would deffinatly do my regional work in a mine if i could!any websites advertising for mining work?
    good to know all them trades are in demand over there.Melbourne sounds good,its between Melbourne and Brisbane on where to go!
    did your brother or friends transfer their trade papers from here when they were going?Union jobs?what do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Work in or associated with the mines is not necessarily brutal it depends on the company that you work for and the rosters you work on. If you have your trade papers and are experienced in that line of work the earning and saving potential is phenomenal.

Advertisement