Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC direct debit only?

• 15-09-2011 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

So I tried ordering upc via their website online, it said there would be a fee for not using direct debit (dd), but in the form there was no option but to select other options. Fine, I call them, talk to a representative, she says that I can use other payment methods, and that an agent will call me. An agent calls the next day says I must use dd for the online order (no activation fee).

Next day I go to the carphone warehouse, ask if I need to use dd, he says no, that I could use other payment methods for a small charge. Today, an agent from UPC calls tells me it's dd only.

Now I'm confused, If I try to use the board offer ("http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer"), will they tell me it's dd only?

In general, If I want to sign up with upc is it all direct debit now?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

littlemick wrote: »
    So I tried ordering upc via their website online, it said there would be a fee for not using direct debit (dd), but in the form there was no option but to select other options. Fine, I call them, talk to a representative, she says that I can use other payment methods, and that an agent will call me. An agent calls the next day says I must use dd for the online order (no activation fee).

Next day I go to the carphone warehouse, ask if I need to use dd, he says no, that I could use other payment methods for a small charge. Today, an agent from UPC calls tells me it's dd only.

Now I'm confused, If I try to use the board offer ("http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer"), will they tell me it's dd only?

They charge €3 per bill if you do not use direct debit.

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/132

Note that if you do sign up for dd (with any company not just UPC) beware of charges if you do not meet the dd - UPC charge you €12 if you miss a dd.

Also if signing up for dd avoid the so called dd+ which is the one you sign up for over the phone. Under this method the advance notice is only 7 days and the system seems to cause chaos for you the banks as they hold no records of this method.

Ask to sign a paper mandate - this system in theory at least gives you 14 days notice but at leaves a paper record with your bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is there any way to sign up online without direct debit?

I sent an email to confirm with customer service that I didn't have to pay with direct debit and he got back (quickly for once and with a long email) to say it was just the €2.99.

I went through the boards.ie offer and when they rang up, they said that there was only direct debit through them and I would have to place an order elsewhere.

On the online forms you have to enter your bank details (unless you put in random numbers?). The conditions say that activation per item is €40 and you get credit for each item of €20 for doing it yourself and €20 for doing it online. Net cost for doing it online and installing yourself should be €0, but since I can't order it online, I'll have to pay €60 or something?

I'm pissing away my time with these forms and waiting for their "next day" calls that take 3 days, so if anyone can give me some help, I'd appreciate some input.

PS: Already a UPC tv customer (non direct debit, no €3 fee on statement by the way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Monotype wrote: »
    Is there any way to sign up online without direct debit?

I sent an email to confirm with customer service that I didn't have to pay with direct debit and he got back (quickly for once and with a long email) to say it was just the €2.99.

I went through the boards.ie offer and when they rang up, they said that there was only direct debit through them and I would have to place an order elsewhere.

On the online forms you have to enter your bank details (unless you put in random numbers?). The conditions say that activation per item is €40 and you get credit for each item of €20 for doing it yourself and €20 for doing it online. Net cost for doing it online and installing yourself should be €0, but since I can't order it online, I'll have to pay €60 or something?

I'm pissing away my time with these forms and waiting for their "next day" calls that take 3 days, so if anyone can give me some help, I'd appreciate some input.

PS: Already a UPC tv customer (non direct debit, no €3 fee on statement by the way).
    About three or four years ago UPC (they may have still been NTL/Chorus at the time?) informed all customers that if they didn't now pay by direct debit that they would incur this charge. There was a bit of uproar about it - consumer agencies, media & politicians got involved, resulting in the charge only being applied to new customers.

Existing customers who remained on the same package/service did not have to sign up to direct debit, but at the time the broadband & digital tv services were beginning to take off, they made basic digital tv more attractive by charging less for it than for analogue, so a lot of customers made the switch.

Existing customers ordering any new service were signing up to a new contract in the process, so had to pay by direct debit or be liable for the charge if they didn't.

That's the general gist of it anyway.

As far as I know if you sign up online you have to pay by direct debit, & avoid activation & installation fees.

One thing you could do is to ring up & say you are thinking of cancelling your existing service as you are considering moving to Sky. You will then be put through to customer loyalty/retentions dept, who will offer you a more attrcative deal to stay. Make sure that whatever they offer you includes no activation fees or any other charges, & also make sure that you are not agreeing to pay by direct debit, but you would still be liable for the non-dd charge.

Thanks for the background and suggestions. It's not the charge that really bothers me, it's the trouble of it - But I suppose that's exactly what they want. If there were more competitors, I'd jettison the idea of using them immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi littlemick

UPC insist on direct debit as payment method on all bundles that have phone in it, this is to ensure that everybody has the best possible chance of staying on top of their bills.

We do however allow certain products be ordered with payment by giro, ie: Broadband, or standard digital TV. (Digital +/HD is DD only)

I trust that clears it up for you

Regards

Jason

littlemick wrote: »

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

**I am not authorised to comment in general threads without approval***

• Advertisement

I was talking to to reps by email and phone and they never mentioned that bill pay wasn't possible for the bundles and that the correct channels just have to be used.
    So is a phone with bill pay absolutely out of the question then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

I just joined UPC there recently and have to pay my first bill by tomorrow and they said that I can pay at my local post office once I produce them with the bill, the post office gives me a reference number. After that I was told to free call UPC on 1908 and give them the reference number as proof the bill was paid because it takes five working days to register on their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Theholidayguy

I have the DD set up, I think it saves time to go to the bank or Post office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I call their phone number and pay by entering my Laser or credit card number into their automated phone system

Works very well

IVIada wrote: »
    I just joined UPC there recently and have to pay my first bill by tomorrow and they said that I can pay at my local post office once I produce them with the bill, the post office gives me a reference number. After that I was told to free call UPC on 1908 and give them the reference number as proof the bill was paid because it takes five working days to register on their system.

Did you sign up online or by phone? Also, did you get a phone line with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

Did you sign up online or by phone? Also, did you get a phone line with them?

My flat mate did it. We thought that we had to pay by direct debit but when I rang yesterday I asked was there any other was of payment and the lady said that we could just go to our local post office and pay, once we call them back with the reference she said we would be grand. We just have internet and T.V. If I were you I would just ring 1908 and ask can you do the same. She was very nice and helpful. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can also make supplementary payments by Laser / Visa Debit card if you want.

1908 using your touch-tone phone and via the website.

Provided you pay a good bit before the DD due date, it shouldn't take any DD.

Just in case anyone searches for this thread for an answer: Yes, it is absolutely possible to get any item from UPC with bill pay as long as you push hard enough. Every representative tried to get me to use DD but after being bounced around a bit, the final guy that I was dealing with was very nice and authorised to grant the sale without DD.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

It's very handy but if you don't have the full amount in your boi acc on the day they (BOI) hit you with a "fee" of around €14 .I stopped paying them (bb only)by dd so i pay them by mobile.Keying in all the info but i got use to it soon enough.I don't have much in my acc from day to day .

paddyandy wrote: »
    It's very handy but if you don't have the full amount in your boi acc on the day they (BOI) hit you with a "fee" of around €14 .I stopped paying them (bb only)by dd so i pay them by mobile.Keying in all the info but i got use to it soon enough.I don't have much in my acc from day to day .

It is unfortunate (to put it kindly ) that companies are not upfront with their customers about the charges which result from missed direct debits. UPC must make considerable amounts of money from missed direct debits.

If you miss a dd UPC will charge you approx. 11 euros. As far as I can see there is no warning anywhere from UPC about this specific amount. In addition your bank will also charge an amount as paddyandy points out - usually around 12-14 euros. So missing a UPC dd can cost you approx. 25 euros.

Last time I spoke to a bank person about the % of dds missed I was told it was around 10%. So if UPC have say 500,000 people on dd you can do your own maths on how much they make out of the dd system. Even allowing 50% of the charge for administration leaves a nice lit bit over.

The dd system was supposedly designed as a method to pay bills not as a income generator for companies. There is no provision in the dd scheme anywhere as far as I am aware for companies to charge customers who miss a payment.

The dd scheme rules state:
    The essence of such an arrangement is that of the total integrity of and trust in the Scheme. All
    Participants must work together to ensure that such integrity and trust is maintained.

How can unspecified charges be regarded as complying with this requirement?

UPC are not the only ones exploiting the dd system in this way.

The ESB charge six euros and do not advise their dd customers of the charge until it is implemented.:mad:

Bear in mind too that in the case of companies like UPC you are paying them in advance so you are being penalised for not supplying them with an interest free loan!

I did not know at all that UPC got a cut from that "FEE" as it's called ....to me i felt i'd been mugged and i had no warning at all.One member of the bank staff said to me "If you are short one cent that charge goes on"BOI i'm still with but i watch 'em hawkishly now.

I did not know at all that UPC got a cut from that "FEE" as it's called ....to me i felt i'd been mugged and i had no warning at all.One member of the bank staff said to me "If you are short one cent that charge goes on"BOI i'm still with but i watch 'em hawkishly now.

UPC don't get a cut from that fee - they impose their own "fee".

It can happen that a small unrelated charge can come in to your BOI ACC on the same day as a dd and you have to be careful of that.It happened once if i remember correctly and there was no mercy shown.I said to a staff member "how can you call it a fee sure you hav'nt done anything for me?Seemed more appropriate to call it a Fine not a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

UPC issue a Payment Card if you request it. It looks like your standard credit card and you can pay your bill in designated shops. Same principle as the online laser card and I'm 99% sure that you don't get penalised if you choose this method. They text you when your payment is due and you can check the details with your online account.

This is a Very good thread for those with Bank Accounts for it shows one of the Bank's Cute Hoor tactics along with Other Agencies.

• Advertisement

This is a Very good thread for those with Bank Accounts for it shows one of the Bank's Cute Hoor tactics along with Other Agencies.

In fairness to the banks they would claim that all of these charges are published and available to customers. However they are not readily available when a customer is actually setting up a direct debit. As part of the setting up process there should be information available on specific charges which can be incurred by the customer either from the bank or from the company.

There is a shocking lack of representation for the bill payer in relation to the dd system who come a very poor third in the scheme after the companies and the banks.

It is also disgraceful that the dd scheme can be exploited by the likes of UPC as a revenue generator especially when they are not honest with customers in specifying the charge involved if a dd is missed.

I asked a rep of UPC some time ago about this failure and I was told there were more important things to tell customers about!

I understand NOW why the lady at UPC almost pleaded with me to take a landline phone link...that way i would HAVE to be direct debit....and i thought she was just being nice..i am so credulous and naive sometimes i know now why my poor mother was so concerned for me all those years ago.

I understand NOW why the lady at UPC almost pleaded with me to take a landline phone link...that way i would HAVE to be direct debit....and i thought she was just being nice..i am so credulous and naive sometimes i know now why my poor mother was so concerned for me all those years ago.

And I bet she didn't even know about the direct debit system.

I am amazed that none of the so called consumer journalist or tv programmes have ever done a feature on the woeful inadequacies of the dd system and the way it is being exploited.

For example most people have no inkling that a cancelled dd can be reinstated and applied to your account and in spite of the fact that this is nothing short of attempted theft nothing will happen to the company concerned.

So much for honesty and integrity.

Reinstating the Direct Debit i have heard about it with some other provider.I check on line a few times a week on list of dds.

No, you wouldn't have to have direct debit. You have to push for what you want and insist on bill pay. They'd rather have you as a customer than not. The reps may tell you that they aren't authorised to sell without direct debit so you could be passed around a bit.

No, you wouldn't have to have direct debit. You have to push for what you want and insist on bill pay. They'd rather have you as a customer than not. The reps may tell you that they aren't authorised to sell without direct debit so you could be passed around a bit.

But if you dont go dd you will have to pay an extra 3 euros per bill. And as I have pointed out before thats lots of lovely lolly for UPC. Suppose UPC have 200,000 customers who don't pay by dd - thats 600,000 euros per month towards their "administration" costs. That amount could pay for an awful lot of staff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 icetronix

O_o
    Made an account just to reply to this total and utter BS.
    Not allowing non DD using consumers is crazy, especially as stated above it doesn't cost them ANYTHING and may even net them some cash {the 3€ could be to cover any An Post charges for handling billing}.
    I had planned on going Fibre Ultimate with multi room and 100mb upgrade for 85€ a month, guess im stuck with eircom :(
    At least i will get the basic cable channels free for allowing UPC to do work in my garden, 24€ more a month in my pocket i guess.

I am with boi not An Post and you are confusing the issue for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 icetronix

I am with boi not An Post and you are confusing the issue for me and upc doing gardening for you?.
    I dont see how my /rant is confusing you O_o and yes UPC did do some gardening for me :P

They are upgrading their network in Bray and in order to upgrade my streets connection they had to come through my garden. So they cleared an overgrown part to the side of the house and laid fresh grass seed :)

• Advertisement

Smart ass angles a glib statement and then asserts that you're a fool if you don't understand and it's very common or that they try to snag your self respect with a comment on punctuation or spelling.Smart Asses are driving away posters from Boards.ie then there are the Clowns too i wish they would 'clean up' this place

Advertisement