Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clipless pedals - pain in foot

• 15-09-2011 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone might have had a similar problem or know the cause. I have SPD cleats, and my cycling shoes are a european size too big.

I get a soar ache in only one foot (The slightly smaller one) after about 1.5-2 hours in the saddle. It's at the top part of the foot, around the cleat. The second I clip out, the pain eases. I've never had it in the other foot.

I'm assuming I need to get a tighter fitting shoe, but it's bugging me why the pain goes away when I clip out – does the shoe get tighter when clipped in?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Try adjusting the cleat - what kind of shoes are they? You may be braeing down on the pedal and irritating a nerve. You say the shoes are too tight - can they be released on the velco straps (If the shoe has them?)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

You don't say where exactly in your foot, but I had a similar problem with pain at the ball of my dominant foot, which I believe is because SPDs have a pretty small platform through which to transfer the force (my ones do anyway). I don't get it with Look pedals. So changing shoes or position of cleats may help.

But, as with all sources of pain, your first port of call should be your GP or physio if you are concerned.

Spokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Do you have any kind of arch problems? Flat feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Shimano R076. I can't put the cleat any further back. My shoes aren't tight, it's that they are a little big and I think my foot isn't pushing down at the right spot. The pain would be at the joint below the baby toe.

Thanks for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Had some numbness. Mainly right fot and always front outside (opposite side to the ball of my foot)

Added a bit of lean with some of these yokes:
    http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/bikefit-system-wedges-2

Meant my foot was slightly angled outwards giving more even pressure.
    They're bloody expensive for some cheap bits of plastic, but did the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement