Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGE -> ESB (with questions)

• 15-09-2011 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just run out of discount with BGE for my electricity. I understand the 4% with a further 2% dependent on online billing.

However, Can I avail of this & manage my account by paying a fixed sum every month (rather than 2) off my account , which would allow me to build up a credit in the summertime ?

Also, my last BGE bill was 653 units @14.10¢ / kWh what would the rate have been with ESB & is the is the already discounted rate or before discount applied?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi iMax :)

Yes, there is the Equaliser, which is a set amount being debited monthly. It is subject to change, based on meter reading patterns.

ESB Electric Ireland unit rate (before discount) for a 24-hour meter is €0.1410 per kWh.

You can also compare utility charges at this website:

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

If you wish to make the switch, you can do so here where you can request a callback, or call 1850 30 50 90.

Regards :)
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks Una. How much is the standing charge ?

Regarding the equaliser tariff. I'd prefer to have a standing order (which I would overestimate) rather than a direct debit. Does the discount still apply ?

Also, is the online billing notified (email sent to me) & supplied in PDF format ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi iMax,
    iMax wrote:
    Also, is the online billing notified (email sent to me) & supplied in PDF format ?

Yes, as soon as the bill is available to view a notification will be sent to you via email, informing you of the bill total. The .pdf, rather than being sent to your inbox as an attachment, is viewable and downloadable from your online account when you log-in. This prevents unwanted clogging up of your inbox.
    iMax wrote:
    How much is the standing charge ?

Our standing charge is currently (no pun intended :)) €0.252 per day (ex vat), or €0.286 (incl vat). Prices are however due to be increased on October 1st (more info here).
    iMax wrote:
    Regarding the equaliser tariff. I'd prefer to have a standing order (which I would overestimate) rather than a direct debit. Does the discount still apply ?

Not in that case unfortunately. However, there's nothing stopping you from setting up a conventional direct debit (collected bi-monthly) while also pre-paying your bill by a set amount via a standing order. This way, you could continue to pay your bill monthly with your payment method of preference, and the direct debit would merely collect the balance due (if any) when the bill actually issues.

Hope this helps.

David.

Thanks David. Any idea how much it's going to rise to ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi iMax,

Both the units rates and standing charges are due to increase by 14.8%.

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement