Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting concrete floor

• 15-09-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice on painting a concrete floor.

Does the process just involve a sealer/primer and then painting? The floor is an existing concrete floor in a business unit. It's in very good condition and will be cleaned prior to painting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Seems like the job alright.

But according to the data sheet...
    Very dense smooth concrete surfaces, such
    as power floated concrete, normally need to be acid etched
    before painting in order to promote satisfactory adhesion.

Is there any way to know exactly when acid etching is require? The floor I will be painting is quite smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Seems like the job alright.

But according to the data sheet...

Is there any way to know exactly when acid etching is require? The floor I will be painting is quite smooth.

I've never acid etched a floor i just Thin the first coat down 10% to allow it to soak in then when dry second coat straight out of tin,i've never had any problems this way,just make sure floor is clean and dust free.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What about them tins you see there on donedeal for 70 euro, will they do the trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah only ever saw a floor acid etched once for an epoxy 2-pack coating on a car dealership floor. An awful lot of messing about but it was expensive stuff and we wanted to be sure (and it was priced for)
    Chances are your floor is power floated if the place was built in the last decade, but flortred and the like will stick once it's free from dust and grease...lack of etching might reduce the life of the job by a bit or lead to chipping if it's very high traffic but tbh, it'll be just as easy to touch it up or re do it by then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement