Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill for Winter

• 15-09-2011 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi guys and girls, looking for a bit of info from the seasoned treadmillers on here. Last year I got completely snowed in (live deep in the countryside) and was it quite dangerous to venture out and try a run in the ice/snow. It really ruined my flow of training. I'm determined not to be stuck again this year, so what are the good brands i should be looking for? Most of my runs are done about 5.30 mile pace so i need a good motor and good give in the deck. Also are there any other things i should watch out for when buying one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

At that pace you'll need a professional one that you would see in a gym.
    Should be good 2nd hand deals with the number of gyms closing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

Thanks for the reply, any specifics i should look out for on the machine?

Any gym quality one should be fine, Solid base, aim for a max speed at least 10% higher than you plan to run, incline option of at least 10%, an option to set manual programs so you're not worried about changing the speed/incline during a session.
    I have a Horizon Adventure at home (not gym quality), looking back I ran 150miles on it during the snow last last year and 400 in total, mainly easy, long and tempo and some hill sessions, but my tempo pace is 6:15 not 5:30 :).
    Here's a good calculator on how to use the incline to get the same workout of a faster speed: http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

Thanks for the help beepbeep, time to go on the prowl for some unfortunate gyms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

dunner :P wrote: »
    Hi guys and girls, looking for a bit of info from the seasoned treadmillers on here. Last year I got completely snowed in (live deep in the countryside) and was it quite dangerous to venture out and try a run in the ice/snow. It really ruined my flow of training. I'm determined not to be stuck again this year, so what are the good brands i should be looking for? Most of my runs are done about 5.30 mile pace so i need a good motor and good give in the deck. Also are there any other things i should watch out for when buying one?

A motor with a high continuous output (eg 3.0Hp) and a large running deck (>50 x 140).

2nd hand commercial is an option.

I'm seeing these BH treadmills on VJs - the M60 and M80 seem to have big running decks and big motors for ok money. Top speed of 22kph for speedwork as well.

http://www.vjhomefitness.com/index.php?cPath=13

I hit a 5k PR recently that gets my (Daniel's) I pace faster than my current treadmill can handle, so I'm on the lookout for something similar to yourself (just nowhere near as fast).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

also worth considering the hire/rental option if it's only for the winter months. that way you have no maintence associated.

We bought ours from Elverys (agin not gym quality but perfect for us) last year so that I could continue running while pregnant and it is great.

After a bit of research i think i might go for a rental, as hunnymonster said theres no maintenance or depreciation to worry about. Any comments on this one?
    http://www.fitness4hire.com/item.aspx?fit_id=5005

€150 for 4 weeks rental = 3 months Gym membership, less convenient....but!
    If you look around you'll find something to get you by for a little over 2mths rental: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gym/2372078
    I will have had mine for 2 years this November, paid €599 (half price sale), has a total of 1000 kms on it and I've had to lube the belt twice - maintenance costs = <€5 or 1c for every 2k ;) if I get another 1k out of it it's not too much different than 4-5 pairs of runners.

I see where you are coming from on the gym membership thing but the whole point of getting one is to use it if i can't get outside to train, which includes going to the gym!
    I guess I could get one for around the 500/600 mark but i do enjoy the outdoor runs so
    it will probably be ditched come feb!

Advertisement