Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA 500 book payment?

Options
  • 15-09-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I am in reciept of my btea although its being paid into the post office and hasnt been transfered into my bank account yet. I sent the registration and attendence dates letter in to the office last friday and havent received my 500 allowance yet. Who else is in the same boat or has anyone heard anything? I could really use this payment my book costs are astronomical!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

From what the lady i spoke to about the btea it's gonna be a while before money goes into the bank account, as they deal with the people who wont be able to get to a post office first, but from last year the 500 didn't come into my account till october, that was because there used to people applying then dropping courses after reciving the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hey I am in reciept of my btea although its being paid into the post office and hasnt been transfered into my bank account yet. I sent the registration and attendence dates letter in to the office last friday and havent received my 500 allowance yet. Who else is in the same boat or has anyone heard anything? I could really use this payment my book costs are astronomical!

I got the BTEA paid into my bank account yesterday for the first time. I was in with Social Welfare today and he said the €500 book allowance would be paid next week - will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Guess it's different for everyone, i'm just going on what i was told last year when i was on the btea for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I have had the BTEA for the last few years and they have always paid out in October, they want to make sure that we are actually attending classes first. How quick you get it probably depends on how fast your college sends details to social welfare, last year I got mine towards the end of October.
    I think you get it when you get it and there is no specific dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My friend was told today that she has to get a reciept for her books and hand into the Social Welfare office before they will give her the €500, she is doing a fetac level 5 course so she didn't have to buy any books and was going to use the money to buy a laptop for course work. Can't understand this and now she doesn't know what to do. Anyone heard of anything like this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

Never heard of that but she has no books to buy....so?? It kind of makes sense. I need to buy a lot of books, cheapest is about 40 euro and I wont even mention the most expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

It's not 'book allowance', its 'Cost of Education' allowance and all btea students are supposed to get it no questions asked. A laptop is just as worthy a thing to spend the money on as books anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

So why do they need receipts for books then op?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hey never heard of people needing to give a receipt to social welfare for books but I have heard of people giving a receipt for books bought to show that they really need the payment.

Personally I think they should pay it out before october and if you drop out of college you can pay it back in installments. I need two books which are about 190 euros between them. I bought a new disection kit for 50 euro and im sure theres a lot more to come! I know people who are in receipt of btea and are thinking of dropping out of college due to lack of money eg lack of money for books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My friend was told today that she has to get a reciept for her books and hand into the Social Welfare office before they will give her the €500, she is doing a fetac level 5 course so she didn't have to buy any books and was going to use the money to buy a laptop for course work. Can't understand this and now she doesn't know what to do. Anyone heard of anything like this before?
    Who told your friend this? A" helpfull" friend, i suppose:rolleyes: THIS IS NONSENSE.

• Advertisement

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Who told your friend this? A" helpfull" friend, i suppose:rolleyes: THIS IS NONSENSE.

well in fairness it might be an ill informed person in social welfare rather than a friend who mislead.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

Got mine at midnight with my weekly payment to my bank account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

cactus10 wrote: »
    Got mine at midnight with my weekly payment to my bank account

Lucky!
    It usually takes Dundalk SWO till the end of October to payout. Even tho I left my letter in from college saying I would be starting this week I still had to take time off to go to the post office to pick up my money.....Efficiency hard at work!

Did anyone get their first payment into the bank WITHOUT the E500?.

I'm thinking they wouldn't pay into the bank and then require a letter to pay the E500?.

I'm meant to be going from 1st to 2nd year but have to repeat 3 subjects, they rang last week and she just said ''sure i'll put it through so'' after i said I wouldn't know till Monday if I made second year.

Got the bank payment last night but no E500 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

mrsbyrne wrote: »

Actually it was someone in the Social Welfare Office.

Did anyone get their first payment into the bank WITHOUT the E500?.

I'm thinking they wouldn't pay into the bank and then require a letter to pay the E500?.

I'm meant to be going from 1st to 2nd year but have to repeat 3 subjects, they rang last week and she just said ''sure i'll put it through so'' after i said I wouldn't know till Monday if I made second year.

Got the bank payment last night but no E500 :confused:

Hey dont be worrying with btea there doesnt seem to be a set way of doing things. I just got paid into my bank account today but there was no five euro either.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ripo

Hi I just called the Dept social protection (Sligo). You will get the €500 in the middle of October.

This was normally paid in September but due to the high rise of BETA students this has been extended.

Its a pity as you will have to go without books for almost 6/7 weeks, hopefully your library is well stocked!

ripo wrote: »
    Hi I just called the Dept social protection (Sligo). You will get the €500 in the middle of October.

This was normally paid in September but due to the high rise of BETA students this has been extended.

Its a pity as you will have to go without books for almost 6/7 weeks, hopefully your library is well stocked!

Its well stocked alright but I had to buy a disection kit and a load of equitment for organic chemistry which will probraly require me to sell a kidney in the near future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Benjokota

Hi Guys- how long does it take normally for your payment to go from post office to bank account? Im on week four and still no word :confused:

Benjokota wrote: »
    Hi Guys- how long does it take normally for your payment to go from post office to bank account? Im on week four and still no word :confused:

Some got it already as the previous poster said some depts are sending it out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ripo

Its well stocked alright but I had to buy a disection kit and a load of equitment for organic chemistry which will probraly require me to sell a kidney in the near future!

Believe it or not, I'm still waiting, and I'm a final year student. its now the 1st of November. my college started in September, amazing that it takes them so long to make the payment.

lucky the credit Union was at hand to provide a loan. so happy its my last, and final year at college!

I sent them a letter, and I'm going to call them tomorrow, I'll update you guys so you will have an idea for your self!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I'm in second year and have discovered that they've not even got around to switching people's payments over to BTEA in our area yet. I found this out because my Jobseekers Benefit stamps were all used up and I stopped getting any money at all for the last two weeks, went into the office and was told I wasn't on back to education at all yet (applied for JA in August as my stamps were nearly gone and had all my paperwork for BTEA in from day one of college, but the wheels of bureaucracy grind very slowly...).

They then sent me a form asking me to prove I live in Ireland!
    Got the letter telling me it was all sorted yesterday, thankfully, so hoping to get some cash this week. It's nearly like they want people to drop out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Book allowance received here in Galway today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tankutis

MFPM wrote: »
    I got the BTEA paid into my bank account yesterday for the first time. I was in with Social Welfare today and he said the €500 book allowance would be paid next week - will have to wait and see.

so when did you get your €500?

Advertisement